Springsteen VII ~ Wrecking Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rocky Ground is the only one I don't like. I really like Bruce's singing and lyrics, and even like the beat... the rocky ground rocky ground chorus just doesn't do it for me. I don't even mind the short rap sequence. The chorus bothers me.

Short of that, I love this album. It has made me forget that working on a dream ever existed, which is a good thing.

Come on board this train.

In the middle of my second listen through the album and...I really like it.

I will say this: "We Take Care Of Our Own" doesn't even seem to fit on this thing, and I think most of my listens to this album will begin with "Easy Money." And I don't even hate the former.

The folky/sorta Celtic (?) style that pops up on a lot of songs definitely works, at least for me.

And, of course, a lot of the lyrics are really funny. Good stuff. If you got the balls.

Are the Mp3z about?

I just watched Live In New York City from the reunion tour last night (had been waiting about 5 years for the stores to drop it below $30 over here...and I got it for $13 yesterday :up:)

There's definitely a strong Seeger undercurrent to the majority of this album - a nice choice if you ask me.

Love the use of effects and loops here, something he actually has done before, back in the mid 90's, but apart from the non-album track Missing, we never heard anything more of it. A pity - hopefully that stuff comes out at some point.

But back to this album. After two plays through, I like what I'm hearing. The lyrics are typical latter-day Springsteen, but the delivery is what makes them stand out. His voice seems even more of a growl than ever before (if that was even possible) and they go well with the music.

There really isn't one track on here I strongly dislike. I agree We Take Care Of Our Own seems a bit out of place with the rest of this, but then again, Dancing In The Dark seemed out of place on Born In The USA.

I really dig Rocky Ground, and the rap works well within the context of the song. Furthermore, the female vocal on that and a couple of the other songs is a nice change of pace, in terms of the fact that it's not Patti and actually carries a tune. I'm curious if it's the background singer from the last tour, or someone new entirely.

Tom Morello's guitar solo on Jack Of All Trades is a thing of beauty.

I also like how the drums sound on this record. In fact, while acknowledging that my initial listens have been off of YouTube, the overall sound quality is fantastic - nicely produced. Will be great to hear it on CD in a couple of weeks.

A very welcome step up from the last album.

You give that song too much credit. It's not as bad as everyone says it is, but it's poorly placed on that album, and it's not great. Maybe it's not as dated as some of his 80s stuff since it's got a more universal soul sound, but that doesn't automatically make it great. It's not one of my favorites off that album, is my point.

You're certainly not alone in your indifference/dislike. But I think it's about as perfectly crafted a pop song as Bruce has ever recorded, and many people who claim to like him trying different things have failed to give credit for this old-school soul styling.

It's unfortunate.

And this works a lot better than Rocky Ground does, which has way too many ideas stuffed incongruously into it.

Damn, all this positive talk is getting me excited for the album. For some reason, I rarely listen to Bruce anymore, but when I do I am immediately reminded of why I love him.

It's really refreshing. I loved Magic so very much, and while I wouldn't say Working on a Dream was a let down (I was fully prepared for how bad that was going to be), I want to be excited about THE STEEN.

I wait for the album's proper release, since I have no time to listen to any leak now anyway. It should be out next week. I have mixed feelings. I have heard some stuff from it, seen the video of the album presentation in Paris, I know "We can take care of our own", it's a bit of a let down to me, a mediocre song. But I love "Land of hopes and dreams". As for the rest, at least based on what I've heard so far, I'm still undecided. I'll wait for the album to be released, listen to it properly and then make up my mind.

I realised some time ago that I'm not as excited about Bruce as I used to be, even though his shows always blow me away. Maybe I was a bit underwhelmed with his last two albums and maybe because I'm still waiting for him to do another Nebraska/GOJH/Seeger Sessions album.

Back
Top Bottom