Springsteen VII ~ Wrecking Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't notice any of these in Boston. Um...wtf

http://www.amsaddler.com/CPOTD20120404.html

Let's write a little bit about respect...

For awhile now, I've steered away of having Clarence Clemons featured in The Photo of the Day. It's not because of a lack of great photos of the Big Man, heavens no...I have plenty and many of you have seen a few of them here and other places scattered about the internet. The reason I have gone down that path is because of respect. Respect to Bruce Springsteen and respect to the rest of the E Street Band. This is a new form of the E Street Band and, while they can never escape from the might big shadow that C had, they do deserve a bit of space to be who they are today. There is no doubt from recent interviews that the loss of Clarence, and Danny before him, effects the band in many ways and both of their departed brothers still hang out on stage in various ways.

Now, I don't have a problem with fans remembering Clarence and even honoring him is some fashion. It is what fans do. I even kinda understood when I first spied large disembodied Clarence Clemons heads mounted on sticks at the first Wrecking Ball tour stop in Atlanta. There was only going to be one official first tour date after his death and the Phillips Center was the announced location. It wasn't something that I would have done but we all deal with things in our own way.

I wasn't so kind in my thoughts the next evening in Greensboro, NC. I thought it would be a one-time-only sort of thing. There they were again and they were in the air in a much more aggressive fashion...held aloft for long periods of time and blocking the sight lines of other audience members who, literally, had to move to be able to see the stage. I even had some difficulty photographing the stage when those heads-on-a-stick were waving back and forth. Still it was something that I figured would pass in time while I was on the photo podium photographing the first three songs of the night. There is a certain exuberance at the beginning of a concert that often has people doing things that they wouldn't do otherwise.

But, when Bruce was crowd surfing back to the stage during what has become known as The Apollo Medley, and the fans who had those heads-on-a-stick started stretching their arms in order to put those heads in Bruce's face and then proceeded to wack his body a few times with them, my thoughts passed from acceptance to what the fuck are they thinking?

Let me ask this question to the people who have these sticks. If you had a close friend who passed away would you like to have people running amok with their head on a stick waving them around you at work and when they got close to you, whacked your body with that head? Would you think that is a respectful way of paying homage to your fallen brother? Or would you finally get annoyed?

While scanning the internet recently, I've read quite a few things about these heads and the bodies that are controlling them. I may be annoyed but you will not see me calling for those people's head on a stick, a pike or any other head platter/carrier. I will ask them to think for a moment on how it might feel it it was being done to them. I suspect that if they continue, they will hear much worse from others and hope they hear the message before that happens.

As I said, it's all about respect.

On Twitter #StopTheClarenceHeads

Bruce Springsteen crowd surfing over me in Greensboro, NC - - YouTube

There's something way more interesting going on in that video than Clarence's head on a stick.

When you read that rant, you assume Bruce gets assaulted with an army of Clarence Heads, then you watch the video and there's one Clarence Head and the person just waves it by Bruce as he passes. The "author" is a nit wit.

I didn't watch the whole video but bottom line for me is, the deceased Clarence's head on a stick like it's some college basketball game is just creepy, cheesy, and oddly inappropriate. Even if people aren't waving them at Bruce or hitting him or whatever.

It's the Aung San Suu Kyi mask thing gone even more wrong.

Hello sexy people. It's been a long time!!

I've got a spare ticket to tomorrow's show at MSG if anyone wants it. The seat is shitty and overpriced, but perhaps some obsessed fan like myself will think it's worth it??

Sec 411 Row A Seat 2 (or 1...depending on of there is a hot guy at seat 3). Selling at face for $87. Hit me if you want that shit!!!

Most likely.

Speak for yourself. I have no idea what you're talking about. You two are pervs :madspit:

Here's a picture of Bruce with his 90 year old Mom up on stage in Philly, to bring some decency to this discussion

bruceandhismom.jpg

Oh good, more east coast dates. :grumpy:

On the plus side, seeing as how these are in September, I feel safe in knowing he won't be in the PNW the week I'm out of town.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they really need to announce the stadium leg of the tour soon, so i can plan my ticketing attack...

don't want to skip next week with the intention of going to a stadium show only to find out that they'll be playing the NYC/NJ area when i'm on my honeymoon in september...

Yup... playing the meadowlands when I'm on my honeymoon. Knew it.

Good thing I went last week.

Would love to go to Wrigley but can't really justify taking off that Friday from work when I'm leaving for Europe a few days later. I suppose we'll have to shoot for Philly.

So excited about Wrigley. Not only is it my favorite place in the universe, but it's also my birthday :). Can't wait.

I saw that routine a few times ^

I have seen Springsteen live about 20 + times

the earlier one saw him, the luckier they are

first time I saw him was twice in 1976 - U.S. Tour ( a/k/a Lawsuit Tour) , I was 20 *

those shows were similar to this one from 1973

Bruce Springsteen - Spirit in the Night - Live 1973 in Los Angeles - YouTube

* set list
Night
Rendezvous
Spirit in the Night
It's My Life
(The Animals cover)
Thunder Road
She's the One
Something in the Night
Backstreets