Springsteen - Oct Shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tizer

War Child
Bruce announcement tomorrow as he gears up for the swing state tour with others under the MoveOn.org banner. or so they say...

last i heard, this was just a rumor...?

those swing states can kiss my ass. /FYMish

from Billboard:

An announcement is expected tomorrow (Aug. 4) with details of the upcoming Vote for Change tour, presented by MoveOn.Org's political action committee MoveOn PAC and America Coming Together (ACT), an organization advocating change in government. The series is set to begin Oct. 1 in Pennsylvania and will include in the neighborhood of 40 shows in such presidential election "battleground" states as Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Missouri and Florida.

Sources say the format will be several concerts in different cities in one state on a given night; shows include R.E.M. with Bruce Springsteen, Dixie Chicks with James Taylor and Jackson Browne with Bonnie Raitt, along with performances by such acts as Jimmy Buffett, John Mellencamp and Dave Matthews Band. A host of additional acts are expected to participate

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Springsteen Joins Anti-Bush Concert Tour
The rocker will be among more than 20 artists performing shows in nine battleground states in October. They hope to raise money for Democratic campaign efforts and to sway voters toward Kerry.

NEW YORK -- Directly entering partisan politics for the first time, rock icon Bruce Springsteen will join a loose coalition of high-profile musicians in an unprecedented early October concert blitz aimed at mobilizing opposition to President Bush.
When it kicks off on Oct. 1, the tour will include six shows across Pennsylvania, ranging from Springsteen and R.E.M. in Philadelphia to Pearl Jam in Reading, Dave Matthews at State College and the Dixie Chicks in Pittsburgh.

The next night the artists will play six shows across Ohio, targeting communities ranging in size from Cleveland to Toledo; on Sunday, they will play in Michigan ? not only in Detroit and Ann Arbor, but Grand Rapids, a Republican stronghold.

After dividing across Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin and North Carolina over the next few nights, all of the artists will hold concerts in six cities across Florida on Oct. 8.
http://www.newsday.com/news/politic...,0,6381297.story?coll=ny-uspolitics-headlines

My swing state isn't mentioned. :angry:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Hey, wanna try and hook up for this?

Looks like the concerts will be hitting OH and Detroit on a weekend... :)

Sure, that will be a blast!!!!!

I've been peeing my pants ever since I heard rumors about this concert 3 weeks ago.

I'll be hopping up to St. Paul Oct. 5 to see Bruce/REM/BRight Eyes and down to Des Moines to see Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne.

Can't friggin' wait!

I got an email from the DMB fan club this morning about this. Ben Harper and the Criminals are also playing the DMB/MMJ dates.

I would flip to go to one of those shows or the Bruce in Philly

TheBrazilianFly said:
Will Bruce be solo or will he have The E Street Band with him? If so I think they will be writting for the new album together while on the road. :hyper:

E Street Band will be there too, but I don't think they'll be working on the album much since the concerts only last a week.

kariatari said:

E Street Band will be there too, but I don't think they'll be working on the album much since the concerts only last a week.

THAT'S GREAT!!!!!!! :hyper: :dance: :D

Oh I didn't know it was only a week. But there has been lots of rumors that they got together lately to work the new songs out and that they will record them around this time of the year. People have also said that the new album will have A LOT of politics in it so since sometimes Bruce likes to test new songs live before releasing them then MAYBE they play something new!!!!!! :hyper:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Little Steven :hyper: :drool: :combust: :shifty: :D

:hyper:

Last edited:
an op-ed from bruce in the times about the shows:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/opinion/05bruce.html

Chords for Change
By BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

Published: August 5, 2004

A nation's artists and musicians have a particular place in its social and political life. Over the years I've tried to think long and hard about what it means to be American: about the distinctive identity and position we have in the world, and how that position is best carried. I've tried to write songs that speak to our pride and criticize our failures.

These questions are at the heart of this election: who we are, what we stand for, why we fight. Personally, for the last 25 years I have always stayed one step away from partisan politics. Instead, I have been partisan about a set of ideals: economic justice, civil rights, a humane foreign policy, freedom and a decent life for all of our citizens. This year, however, for many of us the stakes have risen too high to sit this election out.

Through my work, I've always tried to ask hard questions. Why is it that the wealthiest nation in the world finds it so hard to keep its promise and faith with its weakest citizens? Why do we continue to find it so difficult to see beyond the veil of race? How do we conduct ourselves during difficult times without killing the things we hold dear? Why does the fulfillment of our promise as a people always seem to be just within grasp yet forever out of reach?

I don't think John Kerry and John Edwards have all the answers. I do believe they are sincerely interested in asking the right questions and working their way toward honest solutions. They understand that we need an administration that places a priority on fairness, curiosity, openness, humility, concern for all America's citizens, courage and faith.

People have different notions of these values, and they live them out in different ways. I've tried to sing about some of them in my songs. But I have my own ideas about what they mean, too. That is why I plan to join with many fellow artists, including the Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., the Dixie Chicks, Jurassic 5, James Taylor and Jackson Browne, in touring the country this October. We will be performing under the umbrella of a new group called Vote for Change. Our goal is to change the direction of the government and change the current administration come November.

Like many others, in the aftermath of 9/11, I felt the country's unity. I don't remember anything quite like it. I supported the decision to enter Afghanistan and I hoped that the seriousness of the times would bring forth strength, humility and wisdom in our leaders. Instead, we dived headlong into an unnecessary war in Iraq, offering up the lives of our young men and women under circumstances that are now discredited. We ran record deficits, while simultaneously cutting and squeezing services like afterschool programs. We granted tax cuts to the richest 1 percent (corporate bigwigs, well-to-do guitar players), increasing the division of wealth that threatens to destroy our social contract with one another and render mute the promise of "one nation indivisible."

It is through the truthful exercising of the best of human qualities - respect for others, honesty about ourselves, faith in our ideals - that we come to life in God's eyes. It is how our soul, as a nation and as individuals, is revealed. Our American government has strayed too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country we carry in our hearts is waiting.

Bruce Springsteen is a writer and performer.

God Bless Bruce :up: and everybody should read his editorial in DiGi's post. I am glad artists like these, Bruce, DMB are supporting Kerry and with the specific purpose of getting Bush out of office. I wonder how many Republicans here will stop listening to Bush and DMB ? :(

Back
Top Bottom