Spoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeadsOnSticks

New Yorker
a friend of mine; who happens to be an even bigger musical snob than yours truly (as if this was even possible...) turned me onto an awesome awesome band out of Austin, Texas called Spoon. Now they haven't released any new material since 2001-2002's "Kill The Moonlight," I nevertheless delved into their back catalogue and was instantly hooked. Lead singer/guitarist and main Spoon-man Britt Daniels really has a knack for writing poppy, insanely melodic tracks wrapped in tight, rough packages. This guy really is the shit. I started listening to "Girls Can Tell," then moved on to "Kill The Moonlight," and ended with their first major release "A Series Of Sneaks." it was a staggered approach, but trust me the best way to get into them. if you're a fan of elvis costello, pavement, pixies, gang of four, nirvana, the anniversary, or guided by voices i HIGHLY recommend Spoon. You will fall in love with them.

they play 'the way we get by' on the local college radio station a lot. it's not bad but do they have better? i'd love to hear more of their stuff.

Spoon has a new album coming out soon called Gimme Fiction. Advance word is that it kicks total ass. I have the first song and if you add The Beatles to their above mentioned influences that might give you an idea.

I'm really excited for this record. I loved the last two, and Series of Sneaks is just an all time classic. Everyone I play it for gets hooked.

Although it's a little rougher, I'd also recommend their first album Telephono, which was released on Matador. They had an EP after that on the same label titled Soft Effects, and it's also a worthy purchase.

Sadly, I've never seen them live and have missed them on several occasions. I will not be making the same mistake this tour!

laz

Back
Top Bottom