Split Enz Salivation & Celebration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KhanadaRhodes said:

so far from what i've heard i prefer split enz. although mayhaps i needed to listen to them first before i could like/appreciate crowded house.

i'll listen to distant sun now :grumble:

Have you heard Better Be Home Soon? Weather With You? Into Temptation?Fall At Your Feet?

beli said:

Tonnes is probably an exaggeration. But by a lot.

Split Enz have some terrible mistakes & clunkers in there. Frenzy's production is an example. I don't like the fact that there were 15 members, although it is kind of cool. Musically Crowded House were far superior, lyrically they were far superior, live I understand they were superior, humourwise they were better.

All the best members of The Enz got a run in The House anyway.

Neil & Hester obviously founding members. Tim on Woodface. Eddie live on the first 2 tours. Noel does percussion on Together Alone.

As I said earlier I fell into the Enz via the House, but I still respect & value the founding stages of Neil & Tim's career & the times when they were most popular.

beli said:
Have you heard Better Be Home Soon? Weather With You? Into Temptation?Fall At Your Feet?
better be home soon: never got around to listening to it :uhoh:

weather with you: :drool:

into temptation: yes but i can't remember what i thought of it.

fall at your feet: :up:

timothius said:
:ready: :aim: :fire:
down.gif

timothius said:

:mad:

In New Zealand it is the ad for L&P (the nicest soft drink in the world)

The members of The Swingers appeal to all your sense.

Bones Hillman of Midnight Oil & Phil Judd of Split Enz :love:

Ooh the Swingers!

My father loved them cos they had really short hair and could move their knees in time. My dad is such a rocker! :rockon:

How did I not comment on this? I download the songs, then suddenly days and 130 posts go by!

Hearing the Finn Brothers perform I Got You and Six Months In A Leaky Boat live was easily ... the most incredible thing. There's no words. Six Months in particular was out of this world.

I don't really know much of Split Enz beyond a few of their hits that any Kiwi grows up knowing, but still ... :drool: History Never Repeats, I Got You, and Six Months are absolutely three of the greatest songs ever and I'm finding myself hooked on Message To My Girl. :drool:

Anything the Finns touch is gold :drool:

beli said:

*:drool: at all of those songs. Especially "Into Temptation" (my favorite CH song)*

Anywho, I'm wondering how I missed this Split Enz thread, too, as it's been here for a couple of days...hmmm. Odd.

But hey, I see it now, so...on with the commentary:

timothius said:
Best Song - Bold As Brass

A great song, that one. It's really, really hard to pick a favorite, especially since there's still some Split Enz stuff I've yet to hear, but so far, though, I think I'd personally go with the obvious: "Message To My Girl". Those lyrics just make me melt into a puddle of "Awwwwww"-ness each time. And the Enzso version is just gorgeous.

But yes, "Bold Is Brass" is a great song, too. There's lots of songs I could put here that I love, actually.

Originally posted by timothius
Best Album - Waiata/Dizrythmia/Time & Tide

Good stuff on all of these, particularly Dizrhythmia. I got that when on vacation in Iowa last month...it is excellent. Seriously, there's not a bad song on there.

Best Member - Neil Finn

Hehe, yeah, I won't argue with this one :wink:.

Best Video - Bold As Brass

I haven't seen this video yet (I want to get the "Spellbound" DVD, as I've heard it's quite good). Only videos I've seen are the ones on VH1 Classic, along with a few other ones from other places.

But out of the ones I have seen thus far, "One Step Ahead" is probably my favorite video (that's another song I adore, by the way). I just love the way the film looks in it, and I love the whole set and everything. It's just cool.

Course, I do like the "Message To My Girl" one, too, but that's just 'cause I think Neil looks adorable in it :p. Shallow, yes, I know.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Course, I do like the "Message To My Girl" one, too, but that's just 'cause I think Neil looks adorable in it :p. Shallow, yes, I know.

Angela

They all do in this. Isn't it one of the first vids where they wore ordinary clothes and not the costume suits? It's kinda more real because of it, I think. :cute:

blueeyedgirl said:
They all do in this.

True...

Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Isn't it one of the first vids where they wore ordinary clothes and not the costume suits?

Something like that, yeah.

Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
It's kinda more real because of it, I think. :cute:

Good point. I think you're right about that :).

I just find it funny to watch Neil bump into things :p. And I like his little dance he does, too :cute:. He's just a cutie :D. But like you said, they all look adorable here, so...:).

It's also weird to see how young Paul Hester looks in that one, too. Wow...

Angela

blueeyedgirl said:

Isn't it one of the first vids where they wore ordinary clothes and not the costume suits?

It's certinally the most normal they look in any videos, granted in a few earlier videos they are just wearing plain black suits, such as Bold As Brass, Late Last Night etc, and in Dirty Creature they aren't exactly bizzare looking.

Never Ceases To Amaze Me :lol:. I never thought Fraction Too Much Friction could be topped. :)

timothius said:
Dirty Creature they aren't exactly bizzare looking.

Yeah, that's true, too. The only thing I have to say about that video is that Tim looks like the love child of David Hasselhoff and Patrick Swayze in it :huh:. Which is...a bit disturbing, LOL (also, correct me if I'm wrong, but that appears to be the video where the Finns' fascination with heads and bodies being separated started-there's a few Crowded House videos from the 90s where that happens, too. What the hell :eyebrow:? :p)

Never Ceases To Amaze Me :lol:.

Haha, that one amuses me greatly :laugh:. 80s fashions...ya gotta love 'em (this is one thing that makes me grateful to have been born in 1984, was either not yet born or too young to get into those bad fashions and stuff).

I never thought Fraction Too Much Friction could be topped. :)

There's a video for that?

Angela

timothius said:
Oh yes. I have it on a DVD I must try and rip it. :happy:

Do it! :yes:.

The decapitation... Four Seasons In One Day has a decapitation scene, and Chocolate Cake also has a series of rotating heads - from memory. :hyper:

Mmhm. And then there's a scene in "Private Universe" when some guy's holding the heads of all the band members.

Very strange stuff.

Angela

Hey, Tim, what were the major Split Enz albums, the classics?

Axver said:
Hey, Tim, what were the major Split Enz albums, the classics?

It is quite hard to really to say... but I'll give it a go.

Mental Notes the first record is generally regarded as a classic. Tim describes it as terribly flawed, but as time goes by those flaws make the record more and more unique. It won some award for the best NZ album ever at some point, I can't quite recall where/what. It also has a lot of cred because Phil Judd was on it.

Second Thoughts (which is a rerecorded MN with a few extra tracks) is regarded as a better produced album - but lacking in performance.

Dizrythmia is chronically under rated but has a lot of cred. It's Neil's first album & is heavily liked by most band members... they still play a bit of this album today.

Frenzy is cursed by shit, shit, shit production... they got swindled into a piss poor producer by their management - thus the entire album is tarnished.

True Colours commercially is their masterpiece. It sat as number one for 9 weeks while I Got You did the same on the singles chart. It is really the highlight of commercially successful nu-wave. It is suprisingly deep, I and many other fans under rate the album due to its success.

Waiata is generally regraded as a slightly more complex rehashing of True Colours.

Time & Tide. I get the impression most hardcore fans believe this is their best, as well as most of the band. The album is essentially based on Tim's nervous breakdown - and has some noctournal theme running through it. It was a success in Australia, NZ & Canada... it was just taking off in the UK as Six Months as the single until....... The Falklands War broke out. Six Months got banned and T&T sunk. Time & Tide is a grower.

Conflicting Emotions. Everyone accepts lathering each track in drum machienes was a bad idea. It ruins the album. Tim admited his tracks were merely left overs from his solo work... and thus the album is my least favourite on the Enz catalogue.

See Ya Round - Great A side... you can really feel the Crowded House vibe starting to come through with Hester on drums. The B-Side is individual tracks by each band member. Mostly eclectic semi-comedic or satirical work.

So in summary I gauge the overall hardcore fans rank albums like this:

Time & Tide
Mental Notes
Dizrythmia
--------------
True Colours
Waiata
Second Thoughts
See Ya 'Round
---------------
Frenzy
Conflicting Emotions

:up: Thanks for the detailed run-through! I've been thinking of picking up an album or two when I can. Hard to believe Six Months was banned in the UK though! Because of the Falklands? How the zark is that supposed to make sense?

KhanadaRhodes said:

so would you have to buy both albums or is everything that's on mental notes on second thoughts? :hmm:

You would want to buy both albums.

Second Thoughts sees the introduction of: Sweet Dreams, Late Last Night, Lovey Dovey, The Woman Who Loves You and Maitinee Idyll (129) at the expesnse of: Under The Wheel, Amy (Darling), Spellbound, Maybe, So Long For Now and Mental Notes (a .33 second obscure track).

Those that remain the same are: Walking Down A Road, Stranger Than Fiction, Time For A Change and Titus. The first two, I feel, are better on MN and the second two are better on ST.

But beware, Mental Notes in US & UK is Second Thoughts. The origional Mental Notes as a NZ/Aust only release. Such is the confusion. :yes:

timothius said:
You would want to buy both albums.

But beware, Mental Notes in US & UK is Second Thoughts. The origional Mental Notes as a NZ/Aust only release. Such is the confusion. :yes:
hmm all right, and thanks for the heads up. cuz i usually do all my shopping through amazon.com so i wouldn't have thought anything of it. :)

but that's a big if, if i were to buy anything. of course, first i need money...:drool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom