someone should tell green day...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IWasBored said:
now would be a good time for me to ask again...did anyone notice that this thread was actually not another "do you like green day??!?! OMG american idiot is sooo gr8!!1" thread? there was another component, other than the green day video. something about a link i posted.

on this board posting the words "green day" or "coldplay" in your title is a guarantee that the thread will spin wildly out of control, as all the lovers and haters of said bands come in for battle. :yes:

IWasBored said:

i tried to listen to it. i did make it through once. the title track was the only single at the time, so i didn't have several overplayed tracks to worry about. i wanted to like it because i do like green day, or i did. i just don't like this cd.

if they weren't trying to be anything else now, would they be dressing up like my chemical romance? tell me that's not to sell records and appeal to the kids who were still in diapers when dookie came out. image does not equal music, but you don't think it sounds like they've taken any musical progression they were taking on 'warning' and tailored their melodies to appeal to today's mtv punk fans?

well... i certainly don't believe that 8 minute long opuses are tailored towards today's mtv punk fans. every song... even american idiot, which is by far my least favorite song on the album, is conected in one continuous story. who's the last major mainstream act with the guts to do something like that? the who? pink floyd? maybe i think the album is great because no one else has the courage to do something like that anymore... a true album, not just a collection of singles. if more acts really cared about the album as an artform, maybe this album wouldn't be so groundbreaking to me. but alas, it is.

in all honestly i could care less what they dress like. my chemical romance wasn't the first rock/punk act to wear a shirt and tie, and green day certainly won't be the last. if we're talking about an act in the mainstream, then obviously they're going to construct an image for themselves to help sell records. green day does it, u2 does it, bruce springsteen does it, rage against the machine did it, the beatles did it... it's nothing new and isn't ending anytime soon.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

well... i certainly don't believe that 8 minute long opuses are tailored towards today's mtv punk fans. every song... even american idiot, which is by far my least favorite song on the album, is conected in one continuous story. who's the last major mainstream act with the guts to do something like that? the who? pink floyd? maybe i think the album is great because no one else has the courage to do something like that anymore... a true album, not just a collection of singles. if more acts really cared about the album as an artform, maybe this album wouldn't be so groundbreaking to me. but alas, it is.

in all honestly i could care less what they dress like. my chemical romance wasn't the first rock/punk act to wear a shirt and tie, and green day certainly won't be the last. if we're talking about an act in the mainstream, then obviously they're going to construct an image for themselves to help sell records. green day does it, u2 does it, bruce springsteen does it, rage against the machine did it, the beatles did it... it's nothing new and isn't ending anytime soon.

i seem to recall nofx being the first to do a punk rock opera, but as i hate nofx more than i hate green day, i can't remember exactly what i'm talking about.

regardless of whether they're the first, the last, or the 258th out of 5937052 bands to adopt whatever image they have currently adopted, it doesn't change the fact that they have altered this image to fit a current trend. so the beatles grew their even longer in the latter half of the 60s, but even that isn't the same (they were considered to have long hair from day one) and that's the only example i can think of out of the bands you cited. my chemical romance was the first thing that came to mind when i thought of lame-ass eye make-up wearing bands. hell, mike ness wears eye liner and has been for years, but why all of a sudden does green day? i'm all for artistic changes and normally i'm the one defending the band when others are screaming sell out. i just think it's bullshit.

:up:

yertle-the-turtle said:
What's the video actually like?
since i haven't seen anyone reply to this, i'll take a stab. and i'll try to be unbiased and just describe the video as is.

it opens with two teens, a guy and a girl, talking. i believe she says something to the effect of "promise you'll never leave me." the music starts and we see clips of the band playing and also clips of the couple doing teenagerish things in a small town in what looks like the midwest united states. grabbing a bite to eat and whoops! he forgot to bring some cash so she picks up the tab. his (i assume) 18th birthday party and she smashes cake in his face. they run around chasing each other and make out on a sofa. stuff like that.

then...the music stops. all of a sudden she's screaming and crying "why did you do this?" and he's like "i thought you of all people would understand! i did this for us!" he enlisted in the army. music kicks back in. so she's all upset and then they show him fighting in what we are supposed to assume is iraq. he sees a guy get shot and they show her walking on a set of bleachers and you hear her say something like "i just wanted to let you know, there will always be someone here for you." or something like that.

these quotes may not be 100% but it should be accurate enough to give you an idea.

what i don't understand is why are all these kids sitting in the barber's chairs getting their heads shaved your typical emo kids with the big floppy hair, sitting there looking forlorn and about to cry? we don't have a draft right now, so these kids are there by choice. is this supposed to be a michael moore-esque comment about working class kids being pressured into joining the army because they don't have any other options? huh. interesting, they look exactly like the overpriveledged suburban college scumbags i come into contact with on a daily basis at my school.

dude. just realized i edited your post rather than quoting it. i'm so sorry!!! :( :( :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
every song... even american idiot, which is by far my least favorite song on the album, is conected in one continuous story. who's the last major mainstream act with the guts to do something like that? the who? pink floyd?
Probably Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" in 1988.
"Operation Mindcrime 2" is set for relase in 2006...that may be a bad idea methinks.

Back
Top Bottom