So, how bad is The Pianist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I'd like to go see it, but too much Holocaust imagery and I either can't breathe in the theater or I wake up unable to breathe from the terror. No lie; I can't take it. It affects me physically.

So, if I want to go see this movie, can I? I really don't want to wake up unable to move or breathe.

:|

While you are completely accurate in your descriptions of emotions that stem from viewing this film, I still HIGHLY suggest you take some time to see a beautiful piece of cinema.

The thing that I have issues with regarding The Pianist is that it was directed by a child molester who's fleed the United States so he wont be prosecuted for his crimes.

Honestly, I dont know how people can just let that go.

It's an incredible movie. I don't think a movie depicted during a war time cannot be sad but this movie is incredible. I wouldn't pass it up. Adrien Brody should have won every single award possible for his performance. He was amazing and I was so happy on Sunday nite to see him win. I don't want to give away too much of the movie, but it's not set in a death camp. I don't know if that would make a difference to you or not. It's just such a good movie. go see it.

u2popmofo said:
The thing that I have issues with regarding The Pianist is that it was directed by a child molester who's fleed the United States so he wont be prosecuted for his crimes.

probably cos it's not very well advertised; i didn't know this.

Lilly said:

Well...he's been on the lam in Europe for, like, I dunno 20 years or something. Anyway, he still made a great film, whether he's got a lot in common with R. Kelly or not.

u2popmofo said:

I have the same problem. I do want to see this movie very badly, but I absolutely refuse to pay for a theater ticket or rent the DVD when it comes out because part of the money would be going to that scumbag.

I didn't see Schindler's List because of the death camps thing. The Pianist may indeed be very good, but I'm really worried about what my response will be. The parts I saw during the Oscars didn't look promising; the people walking through The Ghetto with their suitcases might even be a problem. Do any of the characters give any detailed descriptions of the camps? Maybe I should just skip it, like I did SL.

Bono's shades said:

I have the same problem. I do want to see this movie very badly, but I absolutely refuse to pay for a theater ticket or rent the DVD when it comes out because part of the money would be going to that scumbag.

I feel the exact same way. I would actually like to see the movie, but I wont.

Bono's shades said:

Ditto. I really want to see this. Partly because some of my grandparents and relatives were closely tied in to the resistance movement against the Nazis (one of my grandfathers was tortured by Nazis and died before I was born), and partly because I'm a pianist myself.

That said, I don't care how brilliant this movie is, Roman Polanski needs to grow a spine and face up to his disgusting crime.

I'm so sorry about your grandfather Diemen :(

I know just how you feel Martha-I feel the same way about seeing it. Schlinder's List still haunts me. But it also forced me to remember always the horrific evil that was done. I am still haunted by a Holocaust film I saw in high school, which was a documentary w/ horrifying footage.

As for Polanski, well, I certainly don't condone in any way, shape, or form what he did, but apparently the voters were able to separate it. I heard the victim gave an interview to an LA paper in which she said he deserved to be recognized for this movie. I didn't read the interview, so I'm not sure about that.

She was also on Larry King, but I didn't see that either.

OK, not to give too much away but its more about him avoiding Nazi capture than about actual pictures of the Holocaust. Yes, there are several scenes in the ghetto. But imagine it as more of a Harriet Tubman/underground railroad kind of film. More about being free from repression than about being repressed. Historically accurate but more hopeful than a Holocaust movie.

sharky said:
OK, not to give too much away but its more about him avoiding Nazi capture than about actual pictures of the Holocaust. Yes, there are several scenes in the ghetto. But imagine it as more of a Harriet Tubman/underground railroad kind of film. More about being free from repression than about being repressed. Historically accurate but more hopeful than a Holocaust movie.

Thank you for the answer to my question!!!!!

Lilly said:

I remember when it happened (cos I'm old). It was a huge news story at the time, and it's much worse than people even think. Polanski drugged a 13 year old girl who he was photographing and then had anal sex with her. So yeah, I don't know how people can let that go either. He is a common criminal and if he were to step foot in America again, he would be arrested. Too bad he didn't show up to accept his Oscar so they could cart him off to jail.

That said, martha...the movie is really incredible. It is difficult, but in my opinion, nothing like Schindler's List. I felt angry but I never felt like I had to look away. There was nothing so painful that I didn't want to see it, like in Schindler's list. And Adrien Brody was just amazing.

Back
Top Bottom