So, how bad is The Pianist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well... to add my two bits... it was good... very different from Schindler's List, but still hard to take. There is a lot of death and suffering in the movie martha. If you can't handle that kind of stuff, I don't care how great people think the movie is, don't subject yourself to it.
There are people dead on the streets being stepped over... some bodies having been there for weeks if you get my drift. While the movie focuses more on the character played by Adrian Brody and his struggle through the war.... there are definately still very hard to take moments.

I'd love to see it too and will. I think people should leave their prejudices behind and see it for what it is.

Morally superior people really tend to irritate me

Last edited:
No, but implying that it's actually wrong to see a movie because you find the director morally reprehensible is. That may not be what you're intending, but to me that's how it's coming off.

I'm not saying I won't ever see the movie. I plan to see it if they show it on cable. I just have a problem with giving money to child rapists - especially those who have the gall to whine about how they are being "tortured" by the judicial system.

its nothing to do with supporting child molestors. Its about looking at something for what it is. Besides the person in question bears no grudge against Polanski and has said as much, I'm not sure why the rest of society should either.

I wouldnt object so much to people making such comments if I thought for one moment they would always speak and act with the same level of integrity with everyone.

Anyone can go see the movie who wants to. I really wasnt trying to say that. I understand what you mean though, it probably did sound that way. Some of my friends went and saw it, I didnt even say anything to them. It's all good. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Last edited:
cloudimani said:
its nothing to do with supporting child molestors. Its about looking at something for what it is. Besides the person in question bears no grudge against Polanski and has said as much, I'm not sure why the rest of society should either.

I wouldnt object so much to people making such comments if I thought for one moment they would always speak and act with the same level of integrity with everyone.

The person bears no grudge because she spent a good deal of her life 'dealing' with it and believes it's healthy now to just get on with life--or so she said in a recent interview. That's not to say she wasn't damaged. I don't understand your point about speaking and acting with the same level of integrity...we're simply expressing that it's kind of disgusting that a known child rapist has never had to serve time for his crime, though I've no doubt he served in other ways. I can feel that way and still appreciate the art of the film, which I really liked.

I wasnt trying to condone his actions, nor excuse them. I think crimes against children, especially of this nature are probably the most awful that can be commited.

I just dont think his art should be judged by the same standards as his personality thats all

i don't think people who choose not to see the pianist are judging polanski by his personality. i just don't think they want to support someone who committed a crime against a child and then never paid for that crime.

that being said, i still very much want to see this film, despite what i think of polanski.

Last edited:
Not to defend Roman Polanski, but the girl who was molested says that we should judge the film on the basis of its merit and not his crimes. Kind of puzzling; it appears that she is more annoyed that this is still going on, rather than angry at Polanski. Apparently, she wasn't even interested in getting the authorities involved when it happened. Polanski is a fugitive, though, and will likely never re-enter the U.S., because he will get arrested.

I, myself, am not interested in seeing the film. I've had my fill of Holocaust films.

Melon

Screaming Flower said:
i don't think people who choose not to see the pianist are judging polanski by his personality. i just don't think they want to support someone who committed a crime against a child and then never paid for that crime.

Thank you, flower. :up: :applaud:

The scene in The Killing Field that made me leave the theater in tears and not go back in wasn't the dead bodies. It was the columns of Cambodians leaving their country. I couldn't finish the movie. I waited outside in the lobby.

Thanks for all the opinions on the film. I'm still considering it for this weekend. The problem is that The Man is out of town again, so I'm on my own in the middle of the night. :huh:

Sometimes I find that the most difficult scenes aren't necessarily the ones that include death/violence. In Schindler's List, one little German girl throws mud at the Jews entering the gehtto, literally screaming"Goodbye Jews! Goodbye Jews!" I found that scene to be so incredibly painful...

BTW-Martha, good luck! I hope you're okay while watching it!

Last edited:
martha said:
The scene in The Killing Field that made me leave the theater in tears and not go back in wasn't the dead bodies. It was the columns of Cambodians leaving their country. I couldn't finish the movie. I waited outside in the lobby.

Thanks for all the opinions on the film. I'm still considering it for this weekend. The problem is that The Man is out of town again, so I'm on my own in the middle of the night. :huh:

Martha, I really hope you get to see the Pianist...it really is worth seeing...and while it's not exactly an easy movie to sit through, the ending is well worth it. I really hope you are able to see the whole thing!

I know you probably don't feel like it, but I go to movies all the time alone, and really enjoy it!

:hug:

melon said:
Not to defend Roman Polanski, but the girl who was molested says that we should judge the film on the basis of its merit and not his crimes.

also not to defend the actions and crimes of Roman Polanski, but are you all familiar with his family background? I see this movie as sort of a tribue to them as well as others killed in the holocaust.

Family:
Father: Ryszard Polanski (aka Ryszard Liebling), painter, plastics manufacturer; Polish Jew; died 1984 of cancer
Mother: Bula Polanski (n?e Katz); Russian; half Jewish; left first husband to marry Ryszard Polanski 1932; died in the gas chamber while four months pregnant at Auschwitz concentration camp during WWII

If you're going to boycott this movie because of Polanski, I also don't suggest you see About Schmidt. The crime in question occured in Jack Nicholson's house so really, don't see any his movies.

I can take all the horror images from Schindler's List. I can take the violence, the bitter words, the humanity (or lack thereof) of the whole ordeal as portrayed. However, I can not take one of the last scenes in the film when they give Schindler the ring and he collapses in tears going on about how he could have saved more, that always... ALWAYS gets to me.

Ever since then, I've been too emotional to see Holocaust movies. I can't bring myself to see The Pianist in fear of opening the floodgates again. Pitiful, I know.

Ant.

cujo's pretty knowledgeable on that kind of thing...and he knows how to throw blow jobs...just ask mofo

Back
Top Bottom