So early reviews (internet people) say Cloverfield is shit; do I go see it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

• Yes

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Cock

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters
Canadiens1160 said:
So, in the end, I guess this thread proves that everyone likes cock?

Who the hell don't?

Uncle-Jemima-main.jpg

Let me aks you a question. You like cock? Course you like cock! Who the hell don't.

Just got back. In short, it's extremely cool, and surprisingly engaging. The characters were just well-drawn enough to care for them, and parts of the film were pretty sad. There was a great amount of humour throughout, and the monsters...well, the monsters are ridiculously freaky. :up:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Yeah it was a shit movie.

Shit parts:
- Stupid shakey cam
- Stupid monster movie one liners
- Stupid Pokemon monster
- Stupid me for falling for Snakes on a Plane's marketing successor

Great parts:
- Indie rock looking girl
- Indie rock looking girl exploding inside tent
- CGI work

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I have to say, the only way to see this movie is in the theatre. It's a classic monster movie in all the spirit of classic monster movies. Horrible acting, horrible one-liners, short run time, but great monster, hilarious dialogue, and it's ALL about audience participation.

The audible groans, and random laughter from random rows spreading to the entire audience were great. It was all about the group experience with the rest of the audience, for me.

Well, I pretty much disagree with you entirely. :down: Aside from the CGI being good, which it was.

Lancemc said:
Well, I pretty much disagree with you entirely. :down: Aside from the CGI being good, which it was.

:up:

Oh, another spoiler in inviso-text:

Those fucking crab things were completely awesome... and they made the one girl explode. Points for that, man.

I really, really enjoyed this movie. Not a re-invention of the genre, but a clever genre-blend, and maybe the first real great monster movie in years.

That being said, it's not about the singular hero taking on the monster to save the world from destruction, but the real people trying to just survive. The audience is a character in the film, too, knowing only as much as the main characters know, keeping the focus on them and not the monster itself.

I can't believe I have more to say about this than Apocalypse Now, but it was a great theater movie and a fun way to spend an afternoon.

LemonMacPhisto said:
but it was a great theater movie and a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Exactly. I think it would suck on DVD, but overall I enjoyed seeing it with an audience for the groans, giggles that spread throughout the rows after silly seriously-delivered lines, and the cheers and applause a third of the audience broke into during the Star Trek trailer.

I enjoyed it as a monster flick, but the scenes of mass hysteria and helplessness? The War of the Worlds remake captured it much better, to be honest. This felt silly to me, and I enjoyed that it was silly.

Canadiens1160 said:
Exactly. I think it would suck on DVD, but overall I enjoyed seeing it with an audience for the groans, giggles that spread throughout the rows after silly seriously-delivered lines, and the cheers and applause a third of the audience broke into during the Star Trek trailer.

I enjoyed it as a monster flick, but the scenes of mass hysteria and helplessness? The War of the Worlds remake captured it much better, to be honest. This felt silly to me, and I enjoyed that it was silly.

You're definitely right. I was the only person in the theater cheering during the Trek trailer... it was a little embarrassing, but people suck anyway.

War of the Worlds did capture that better, but I prefer this movie to that one.

2 things:

Did anyone stay during the credits to hear "ROAR! (The Cloverfield Overture)"? It was friggin' awesome. And also, I wonder what it would be like to watch this movie on an actual camcorder... has anyone else thought of that?

Yeah I stayed during the credits - great music with a lot of classic monster movie cues.

The extra bit of audio at the end of the credits wasn't worth staying for....

Reading some of the forums dedicated to this movie is crazzzzy....it's like the obsessive compulsive Lost people moved onto this. You can bet this property will be handed off to another production team to pump out a sequel or two.

Canadiens1160 said:
Yeah I stayed during the credits - great music with a lot of classic monster movie cues.

The extra bit of audio at the end of the credits wasn't worth staying for....

Reading some of the forums dedicated to this movie is crazzzzy....it's like the obsessive compulsive Lost people moved onto this. You can bet this property will be handed off to another production team to pump out a sequel or two.

Yeah, I just stayed to hear the score and was surprised to hear the audio. What was it exactly?

Here's another spoiler:

In the last shot with Rob and Beth at Coney Island, you can see something fall into the ocean from a weird angle. I didn't notice it, but my friend did.

And if there is a sequel... I'll be pissed.

Seriously, WotW doesn't do ANYTHING better than Cloverfield. WotW does just about everything horrifyingly wrong actually, and my hate for that film grows daily. Really, now I think the only good scene in that film is the first attack scene, and even that has its problems. Not saying Cloverfield is a masterpiece or anything, but I'd almost rather watch 2 hours of 2Girls1Cup than WotW again.

LemonMacPhisto said:

You're definitely right. I was the only person in the theater cheering during the Trek trailer... it was a little embarrassing, but people suck anyway.

War of the Worlds did capture that better, but I prefer this movie to that one.

yes

the Trek preview looked good

Cloverfield is a piss poor movie

someone mentioned watching it on a camcorder screen

well, that would still be 2 inches of wasted space

War of the Worlds was a good movie
certainly entertaining, don't forget the screne with the ferry or the farm house scene,

The farm-house scene was absolutely terrible.

My favorite War of the Worlds scene:

"Dad, I have to go over that exploding hill!"
"Son, don't go! Little Dakota, stay here by this tree."
"But dad, I gotta go fight the indestructable aliens!"
"Son, don't go!"
"But dad, I'll see you in Boston anyway!"
"Okay, bye!"

The Ferry scene was horrible as well. Most scenes were. David Keopp should be shot.

That film has amazing sound design and CGI, but other than that, :barf:

Actually, I thought the farm scene with Tim Robbins was great. Unfortunately it was stuck in the middle of a shitty film.

Morgan Freeman as the fucking narrator? Can you get any more cliche?

And the ending is inexcusable.

Garbage, garbage, garbage. George Lucas couldn't make a film that bad if he tried.

I thought WotW captured the initial attack much better, and the mass hysteria and sense of hopelessness in the face of the alien attacker. The monster attack seemed a bit like a Pokemon live action movie initially in Cloverfield.

That said, the spider monkey shit was the shit. Shit, that made the movie man.

God, I loved the subway scene and what those things do to people... insane.

Honestly, the dept store triage exploding girl scene made the movie for me. :drool:

Lancemc said:
Poor Marlena. :sad:
She was my indie rock girl crush for like 50% of Cloverfield....so like for 20 mins.... :( Did the biohazard folks in the tent appear to pop her? Or did she go by herself?

Also, the camera guy looked a hell of a lot like Tony Stewart for some reason

stewarttony51collagedi4.jpg

Last edited:
I have a friend that looks a lot like Marlena... but she is a lesbian. I digress.

I really wish that I could have watched the whole movie without looking away or closing my eyes but...

my God I got so dizzy and nauseous. :sick: I guess we shouldn't have sat so close but it really really sucked for me. I probably missed about a good half hour of the film.
I still liked what I saw, though. It got and held my interest after the first attack. Then again, I love, love, apocalyptic films like this. :love:

Back
Top Bottom