So, a friend's taking us to see Nick Cave Wednesday night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Martha,

I wish I were going.

He writes greats songs like this:

I don't believe in an interventionist God
But I know, darling, that you do
But if I did I would kneel down and ask Him
Not to intervene when it came to you
Not to touch a hair on your head
To leave you as you are
And if He felt He had to direct you
Then direct you into my arms

Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms

And I don't believe in the existence of angels
But looking at you I wonder if that's true
But if I did I would summon them together
And ask them to watch over you
To each burn a candle for you
To make bright and clear your path
And to walk, like Christ, in grace and love
And guide you into my arms

Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms

And I believe in Love
And I know that you do too
And I believe in some kind of path
That we can walk down, me and you
So keep your candles burning
And make her journey bright and pure
That she will keep returning
Always and evermore

Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms

I am seriously jealous.

He's coming here on the 27th, and damn if I am broke as hell.
frown.gif

------------------
Do you have an opinion, a mind of your own?
I thought you were special, I thought you should know

I like the song he did with PJ Harvey. Don't remember how it goes though.

------------------
And you brighten my life like a polystyrene hat
But it melts in the sun like a life without love
And I've waited for you so i'll keep crying out
Without you

That's a good friend you have got here martha. I've never seen Nick Cave live, but I think you are in for a treat, he is passionate.
Into my arms....that song
frown.gif
frown.gif
always reminds me of Michael Hutchence.

Nick Cave is great- he is a very different kind of performer- started off as a drugged out punk in his first band 'The Birthday Party' and now he kinda resembles a dark, gothic crooner- he is very irreverent and his style is unique, if you dont know any of his songs why not download these as examples of his style,

Into my arms- one of the greatest ballads ever
Do you love me- spectacle and grandeur and a big, big sound
The weeping song- funny and light hearted
Deanna- Cave resembling his earlier punky style
smile.gif

I'm SOOOOO jealous...you are gonna love it. Everything said here is true, Nick Cave is passionate, classy and I believe a musician with total integrity. I love him.

Originally posted by cass:
That's a good friend you have got here martha.

He is; he's very generous and sweet, although he would object to being classified as such. He's also a huge U2 fan. I've told him about this place, but I don't think he's even visited yet. He made me a Nick Cave tape for my last Utah road trip. It was full of romantic songs, which isn't a surprise, because this friend is quite romantic and a poet, too.

I'll let you know what I think of the concert.

------------------

You have fairly generic bunions. --my podiatrist, 4-11-02

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
I like the song he did with PJ Harvey. Don't remember how it goes though.

I think you mean ?Henry Lee?
also
On "Death Is Not The End,", Cave is joined by P J Harvey , Kylie Minogue and Shane MacGowan , who all add greatly to this already strong song.

Interesting artist, not sure I've bought into the whole mystique though. Many fans treat him as if he's some kind of genius or something.

Originally posted by OzAurora:

Into my arms- one of the greatest ballads ever
Do you love me- spectacle and grandeur and a big, big sound
The weeping song- funny and light hearted
Deanna- Cave resembling his earlier punky style
smile.gif

'Into my arms'.. several have mentioned this one, and I do like it, but I like 'Are You the One I've Been Waiting for?' even more.. it makes me swoon. (Both PJ Harvey inspired songs I think?)

'Do you love me'.. great song to crank! shimmering guitar, funky bass and spritely piano. yum.

'The weeping song'.. not sure I'd characterize this one as "funny and light hearted"
confused.gif
maybe I need to listen to it more closely. (seems more melancholy to me).

'Deanna'.. I can never listen to this song beyond the first 30 seconds. yuck!

I'm sure he'll be playing many songs from the new album, which is quite good, from what I've heard.

[This message has been edited by Bound (edited 04-17-2002).]

well, that was a lovely review, but..

tell us more!

please.

(I'm asking out of curiousity, but also, 'cause I'm taking my sister to the concert in Chicago, and she doesn't know any of his stuff, nor is she the most musically adventurous person.. I'm concerned that she could be bored. What do you think, given that you weren't all that familiar with his music either?)

Ok.
I have adventurous taste in music, so that helps. I'll confess it was a bit slow in a few places, but a lack of sleep on my part the night before may be what that's all about. The songs that rocked tore the place up. I don't know the names of them, but you know what he sounds like when he rocks. My intelligent husband just pointed out that what Nick Cave does is thousands of years old: telling stories in song.

Crap. This isn't making any sense. Let's say that as a newcomer to his music, I enjoyed the concert tremendously, and I plan on buying as many records of his that I can afford. The audience was filled with cool people in black, many of whom were tanked. They loved him, and that added to the show.

The opening band was from Chicago, and I really liked them. Pinetop Seven. Do you know anything about them?

------------------

You have fairly generic bunions. --my podiatrist, 4-11-02

I've heard of Pinetop 7.. though, I don't think I've heard their music before. I think they're a part of that new wave of Country.. there is a name given to these newer groups that have elements of country, but done in unique ways, combining other musical styles.. I forget what it's called.

Pinetop has some elements of ambient, atmospheric music mixed in, from what I understand. From what you say, I hope they are the opener at the Chicago show.

Back
Top Bottom