Sleater-Kinney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

violet

The Fly
I'm curious to know if there are any U2 fans who are also Sleater-Kinney fans. S-K are my all-time favourite band after U2.

I'm kinda interested in hearing their music... still saving money til the day I buy "call the doctor"

'Call the Doctor' is great, but their best album - IMHO - is 'The Hot Rock.' The first time I heard that album I was "What WAS that? That was fucking awesome!!!!!!!" ;)

'The Hot Rock' remains one of my top ten favourite albums of all time.

As a newbie to Sleater-Kinney, I'd recommend that you leave their first album, 'Sleater-Kinney' until you've heard their other stuff. It's way more raw and intense than any of their later work.

Last edited:
Violet,

I saw S-K open for Pearl Jam a few months back and have always been curious about them - going back to the early 90s.

What can you tell me about "The Hot Rock"?

I saw them on Conan Obrien a few months back and I really liked the song they played.

I too need to look into them.

I wish they had've opened for PJ here! That would have been fantastic. I saw them for the first time in December last year, their first Aussie tour since they formed in 1995(!!)
So that was pretty durn exciting for me, let me tell you. :D

Up until the release of Sleater-Kinney's last album, One Beat, I would have said that The Hot Rock was their most accessable album, especially for those music fans who aren't necessarily into punk-tinged rock. It's not the sort of 'hard paced & punchy guitars' of bands like the distillers, nor is it the cutsey alterna-girl pop of bands such as the donnas or jack off jill. Don't get me wrong, Sleater-Kinney are very much in an alternative vein, it just doesn't do them or their music justice to lump them in with those 'genres'.

And I fear I'm making no sense. Aggh. :) But I shall continue...

People tend to have very clear-cut, "black-or-white" responses to Sleater-Kinney. There are no grey areas, they either love them or hate them. (In my experience, anyways. ;)) I think this is partially to do with lead singer, Corin Tucker's *very* unique voice. I guess it all depends on what sort of music you are into as to what your reaction may be to this band.

If you want to get into them, I'd suggest going to Amazon.com or a similar website and listening to sample tracks to get an idea of their sound.

The Hot Rock is the sort of album that makes you want to get up, go out & join a band & take over the world. It's one of the very few albums that I knew on first listen I'd be a fan of this band forever. In fact, it's only happened to me once before, and that was with U2 and Achtung Baby. :cool:

Hope this helps some. :)

I like Sleater-Kinney alot. I've known about them for years because they are from my area, the Pacific Northwest (specifically Portland and Olympia). I have their latest album and I want to get The Hot Rock too, that's next on my list.

Since you're Australian, it's too bad you didn't catch the episode of Rage hosted by Sleater-Kinney that was on a couple of weeks back. They did an excellent job and I liked virtually every single video they chose. Maybe they'll replay it again in the future.

Originally posted by Calluna
Since you're Australian, it's too bad you didn't catch the episode of Rage hosted by Sleater-Kinney that was on a couple of weeks back. They did an excellent job and I liked virtually every single video they chose. Maybe they'll replay it again in the future.

Yeah, I saw most of that Rage episode. It was on fairly late, & I fell asleep around 2.30am though. There was a music video they played and the clip was directed by Corin's husband. I really liked the song but can't for the life of me remember the band's name. Hopefully it will be replayed sometime soon.

So are you in the US or Australia? Just a little curious as how you got to see the Rage ep. :)

violet said:

Yeah, I saw most of that Rage episode. It was on fairly late, & I fell asleep around 2.30am though. There was a music video they played and the clip was directed by Corin's husband. I really liked the song but can't for the life of me remember the band's name. Hopefully it will be replayed sometime soon.

So are you in the US or Australia? Just a little curious as how you got to see the Rage ep. :)

Violet, to answer your question, I am from Seattle but I am on holiday in Australia right now and that is how I got to see the Rage episode.

I'm glad you caught most of that episode. I think the video you were mentioning may have been New Slang by the Shins. I remember that one too and I had a look at the online playlist and it seemed like that was it.

link to SK's Rage playlist

Calluna said:

Violet, to answer your question, I am from Seattle but I am on holiday in Australia right now and that is how I got to see the Rage episode.

I'm glad you caught most of that episode. I think the video you were mentioning may have been New Slang by the Shins. I remember that one too and I had a look at the online playlist and it seemed like that was it.

link to SK's Rage playlist

Cool, hope you're enjoying your time Down Under! :D Hope the weather where you are is better than where I am right now.

And thanks for the Rage link, I had it bookmarked but had deleted it.

:hyper: I got "Call the Doctor" today... at BEST BUY!... didn't think I would find it there, cuz I looked so long for it.

I'd have to say my fave tracks from 'Call The Doctor' would be...all of them.

i was seriously looking at the back of my copy and thinking "which tracks are my favourites?"

but i can't choose! it's too painful. :D

:huh: I was gonna say: "you're up this early!?" LOL

I just got back home at 5am here....

theSoulfulMofo said:
:huh: I was gonna say: "you're up this early!?" LOL

I just got back home at 5am here....

Heheh, nope. It's 20 to 11(pm) now & I'm getting ready to *go* to bed, not get up. It's that wacky international time/date thing at work again, i tells ya! :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom