Since there can never be too many threads celebrating this genuis: Elvis Costello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

The past few months I have been in my Elvis Costello period. Buying his records (only had one compilation until about a year ago) and listening to them frequently. Recently I even bought an Elvis Costello biography and am starting to see EC references everywhere. :shifty:
One of those references is the book High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. I haven't found the book yet, but now do own the movie on DVD. Anyway, the main character in the book/movie (Rob) is a record store owner and a compulsive Top 5 person (like many other music geeks :)).
On another music (mix) site I recently saw a posting of a person listing her Top 5 Elvis Costello songs. Which prompts me to ask the same question to you all. What are your 5 favourite Elvis Costello songs. And really, you may list only five. I mean I can also make a Top 10, Top 20 or Top 50, but it's all in the editing so only a Top 5 will count.

Here's my Top 5 as posted on that music site (and I already know about 5 other songs I'd forgotten and that need to be included too :uhoh: ):

1. I Want You. A hit here in the Netherlands and just a great, great song from a great, great album (Blood & Chocolate for those wondering, one of the ultimate angry break-up albums) Another person described this as "The ultimate stalker song." and I have to agree with her

2. Goon Squad. I just got Armed Forces and this one keeps on sticking with me. Yes, there are many, many other great songs on that album too, but the Goon Squad does it for me. For the moment...

3. New Amsterdam. Waltz, darling!

4. Motel Matches. Another song from Get Happy!! (like New Amsterdam) and one that always makes me feel a bit melancholic. Short, but sweet.

5. Town Cryer. The last song on Imperial Bedroom and it has some gorgeous strings. A great ending for such an album.

Oh, and here are Rob's Top 5 Elvis Costello songs: "I go for 'Alison', 'Little Triggers', 'Man Out Of Time', 'King Horse' and a Merseybeat-style version of 'Everyday I Write The Book' I've got on bootleg tape, the obscurity of the last cleverly counteracting the obviousness of the first."

C ya!

Marty

P.S. For the non-initiated, good starting points are his Very Best Of (the green 2CD version) or the albums Armed Forces, Get Happy!! or Blood & Chocolate.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Heh, well, I'm only going by what I've heard by him, which isn't tons of stuff, but...anywho...

Well, I haven't heard that much either (relatively speaking that is). Although I have five of his albums (all 2CD reissues) and a compilation, there are still dozens ( :eek: ) I don't have.
Oh, and your list is a very good list too. :up:

C ya!

Marty

I love EC, but I only own My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Goodbye Cruel World, Punch the Clock and All This Useless Beauty. I really need to expand my collection. Armed Forces and Blood and Chocolate are on top of my current CD wish list.

Keeping in mind I haven't heard everything he's done, here's my Top 5:

1. Radio, Radio
2. Pump It Up
3. Alison
4. Veronica
5. What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?

Honorable mention: Oliver's Army, Accidents Will Happen, The Angels Want to Wear My Red Shoes, Everyday I Write the Book.

Last edited:
I like Elvis....but I also caught him at one of his lowest points in his career...it was one of the WORST concerts I have ever seen. :(

Oooh this IS evil

You've drawn me out of my year or so of lurking with the occasional post only to subject me to an absurd Nick Horny/Rob Fleming(Gordon for film fans)-esque Top 5 of the greatest solo artist ever (Behind Springsteen, of course)...

5. Man Out of Time
4. Oliver's Army
3. This Year's Girl
2. All This Useless Beauty
1. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror

I own
This Year's Model
Armed Forces
The Very Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions
Brutal Youth
Extreme Honey: The Best of the Warner brothers Years
Painted From Memory (w/ Burt Bacharach)
When I Was Cruel
North

I need to buy more more more. . . He has two albums due in the fall, a rock and a jazz album.... Great.

Songs worth mentioning not in the top 5...
Accidents Will Happen
Lipstick Vogue
Alison
What's So Funny...
Veronica
Sulky Girl
This is Hell
13 Steps Lead Down
London's Brilliant Parade
Less Than Zero
Watching the Detectives
Good Year for the Roses
Pump it Up
All of North
Alibi
Dust 2 Dust (both parts)
and soo many more

Bruce fans should seriously check out Elvis Costello's cover of "Brilliant Disguise"

Popmartijn said:
Well, I haven't heard that much either (relatively speaking that is). Although I have five of his albums (all 2CD reissues) and a compilation, there are still dozens ( :eek: ) I don't have.

Ah, I see.

I hear ya...man, there's so many albums out there, by him and by other artists, that I would love to buy, but I haven't been able to get the chance to do so (or, depending on where I've lived, haven't been able to find them in stores or anything). Someday, though, when I have the time and money and a good store's worth of variety, I'm thinking of doing some major CD shopping.

Originally posted by Popmartijn
Oh, and your list is a very good list too. :up:

Thanks. :).

Originally posted by Bono's shades
Accidents Will Happen

I was debating between this one and "Oliver's Army"-I was actually considering putting this one in a tie with that song.

Originally posted by Bono's shades
5. What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?

I do like this one as well. :up:.

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Bruce fans should seriously check out Elvis Costello's cover of "Brilliant Disguise"

*Is trying to imagine it in her head*

Ooh...I'll have to look for that one. I'd like to hear it.

Angela

My top five in no particular order:

Pump It Up
Alison
Everyday I Write The Book (ok this is my favourite)
What's So Funny...
Radio, Radio

I saw him in concert not too long ago and he was amazing. Just Elvis and Steve Nieve. :applaud:

Where's the love for 'Watching the Detectives'????!!!!! That's probably my favorite of his tunes. Other than that, I agree with everything else that's been said.

:up:

fah said:
I saw him in concert not too long ago and he was amazing. Just Elvis and Steve Nieve. :applaud:

I saw him too during that tour (last November in Amsterdam)! Indeed a very, very good concert. Quite intense, despite the fact that they were only a duo. He played a great version of Almost Blue/I Want You (and the Solomon Burke track he wrote, The Judgement). And of course 27 other songs. :)

mofo somehow got me hooked on 'watching the detectives'

i haven't listened to any elvis (costello or any other elvis's for that matter) recently, but i remember the last time i did, i liked oliver's army, alison, and probably a few other songs out of the really small number i know. radio, radio was in there, i think..

Back
Top Bottom