Silly things you did growing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
This thread could very well fit in Zoo Confessionals but I guess it'll get more viewing here. What are some of the things you did growing up which when you think back now you can't stop laughing or feeling a tad bit embarrassed about? :wink:

Okay here goes... :uhoh:

- I used to record music straight off MTV with no cord. :reject: Everyone in the room had to be silent till the recording was done. :lmao:

- I used to invent countries and make up languages. And also made a weekly magazine in that language about the goings on in that part of the world. At some point there was also a comic strip based on characters living in that country. :drool:

And this is probably the worst one...

- I used to make up my own Top 20 countdowns every week, with full stats like how many positions the song moved up or down, new entries etc. :reject: x forever.

And I know one person who shares that last one with me. :sexywink:

Your turn. :p

When I was really little I used to think you had to move to whatever state was pictured on the side of your U-Haul truck. When I was 6 or 7 we moved across town. My dad came home with a truck from Utah or Arizona and I started crying because I thought my parents had lied to me. :giggle:

Originally posted by Zootlesque
I used to make up my own Top 20 countdowns every week, with full stats like how many positions the song moved up or down, new entries etc.

I used to do this! (Even though I'm not the one you're talking about)

I also used to write songs for "bands" and pretend to shoot music videos for those bands.

Pearl said:

I used to do this! (Even though I'm not the one you're talking about)

I also used to write songs for "bands" and pretend to shoot music videos for those bands.

Haha that's great! Which bands did you do this for? :p

I hope the one I was referring to, posts in this thread. ;)

Just groups I made up. I used to spend my afternoons pretending I was some music exec, and I was producing all these songs and directing music videos, and making people famous. :giggle:

Wow...the list could go on forever!

-I used to just start singing random stuff and make up songs and record them

-Sometimes I would pretend I was a spy and carry around a recorder and just act like I was spying on the neighbors through the window :lol:

-Me and my friends always played barbies and pretended they were going to the ball or we had them have a talent show :giggle:

-I would play music in the living room and just make up dances to them as I went; I thought I'd use them in the talent show or something weird like that :tongue:

There are so many more.........

I told a U2 fan site that I was going to be in the front row of a Phillies game and subsequently started a mad hunt for partial pictures of me.

That was silly.

Zootlesque said:

- I used to record music straight off MTV with no cord. :reject: Everyone in the room had to be silent till the recording was done. :lmao:
:laugh: :cute:

Can't think of anything myself.. I'll get back to you on that :hmm:

My sisters and I used to make "newspapers" about people we'd made up, complete with gossip columns. On rainy days, we would put on "shows" on our screened-in front porch. We played "hockey" in the yard with a beach ball and brooms and mops (our mom joined in on that one).

My charitable works started young. When I was about 4 or 5 my grandfather took me to MSG to see the circus. I decided that I didn't like it based on how the animals were treated. I took my program home and in the back were things you could order like t-shirts, mugs, stuffed animals etc. and it came with an order form. I was living in Brooklyn at the time and went door to door collecting money for the animals in the circus. I went home and put all my money in my Casper the ghost bank. A neighbor, said to my mom, boy little JC is really trying to help the animals and my mother said what animals. I was caught and my mother made me return the money to each and everyone! :lol:

I wrote and illustrated my own poetry books, including an about the author page at the end. I wrote out several copies of each and sold them to family members.

My friend and I decided we wanted to travel to Alaska when we were 7, so we got our toys and books that we didn't want and went around selling them door-to-door. We made like $20 and we seriously believed that would be enough. :lol:

On a more dangerous note, my bother and I would "sled" down our stairs. We lived in an old house with 25 hard wood, uncarpeted steps. At the end was a landing and very hard wall. We would lay head-first on our sleeping bags and and go down. Our parents never knew until there was an incident where my brother crashed in the wall and got a concussion.

We also used to have contests to see who could jump the most steps. We'd start at one and work our way up. My parents put an end to this game when I broke my ankle jumping from step number 17.

Last edited:
I would write plays for my cousins and brother and I to act out for our family. I would get the best part (naturally), my cousins would get good parts too, but my poor brother would always be the evil person who would often end up killing us. I had quite the imagination as a child, and my plays were rather violent. :lol:

We would also record ourselves singing, playing our musical instruments, or doing various talk shows. My mom still has one cassette left of these, and I hope it's destroyed. So. embarrasing. :huh:

My brother and I would often put sleeping bags over our heads, and hurl ourselves down the stairs. It was a lot of fun, but once my parents realized what we were doing, they put a stop to it pretty quickly.

A friend and I once made "stickers" that were coloured pieces of scotch tape and sold them to our parents. We would also put on magic shows, and sell our art in the intermissions.

That's all I can think of right now. :D

^ You just reminded me of something else I use to do. I loved Shel Silverstein and I use to act him poems out. I once wasted an entire box of banadages for the "Band-Aids" poem.

My sister and I made up elaborate soap operas with our Barbie dolls which included marital affairs, secret pregnancies, murder, fugitives, face lifts (aka just grabbing another doll and pretending it's the same character) and sex changes (like the former, but grabbing a Ken doll to replace a Barbie :lol: )

Sometimes we'd pack the Barbie cars with dolls (this worked even better with the Barbie limo, because you could fit like eight dolls in it) and launch it down the stairs, to see how many dolls came flying out when it made impact at the bottom. We tore up so many plastic vehicles that way.

I was also a really big fan of making tents in the living room. I'd pull all the dining room chairs into the living room so they formed a circle, then drape blankets over the tops. It was fun until it collapsed. Actually, once when it collapsed, it was even more fun, because my sister and I were lying on the floor, holding up the blankets plus one chair that had fallen over on top of us with our arms and legs, pretending we were in that scene in Jurassic Park when there's nothing between the kids and the dinosaur but the collapsed sunroof of the car.

I never really made mud pies, instead I made leaf soup. Basically I'd find some kind of bucket or similar container that would hold water, fill it up, and add various leaves, flowers, dirt (for "spices"), and stir it with a stick :happy:

Also my best friend and I somehow managed to rip almost every shingle off the side of my dad's shed because we liked to pretend they were credit cards :lol:

My siblings and I liked to stay up late in the summer, but we'd get yelled at if we went to watch TV/play video games, so we usually just hung out in our beds, talking in the dark. It was fun though because we'd do accents and make up characters and storylines.
And when we got a little older, we'd venture to the kitchen for snacks. This often included sandwiches made from Mrs. Grissom's brand chicken salad, which led to us pretending our kitchen was a restaurant called Mrs. Grissom's Kitchen. My brother and I still refer to it from time to time :)

I always used to make up words to go with instrumental tunes that I heard a lot. Mostly video game music, but I also made up a really long song to go with the "demonstration" tune on a synthesizer we had :lol:

I bet I'll remember more later :)

My sister and I turned our whole basement into a little pretend town. We had a school, an arena (I would perform in front of the stairs for my 'audience'). We turned the bedroom into a hotel...we turned another small area into a restaurant...we had a bar...We even had a shopping cart (the ones the bagger uses to take your bags out to your car) and we turned it into a taxi.

We used to jump off the stairs onto a "bed" of pillows, blankets, etc and see who could jump off from the highest stair.

My sister and I created a "duo" band and named it Animated Illusion using the background of an electronic keyboard and made our own "album". We even "released" an UNPLUGGED album where we sang lyrics to the tune of a HARP.

We used to "swim" under the blankets and pretend we were mermaids.

Ahh we were such dorks.

My sister and I thought that having a white car was far too boring so we decided to paint it:D We used flourescent orange spray paint. :ohmy: When Dad sold it years later it still had orange paint in the foam bits next to the windows.

I have no recollection of this, I'm sure that my parents must have confused us with some other naughty kids:shifty:

I used to go out with a BB gun and i would go out side and act like i was hunting animals with an australian accent....:tsk;

*As young as five, I formed a "Big Wheel" gang with a few of the boys in my neighborhood (I was the only girl). We'd often bully other riders. I dropped out only after one of my own poked me in the eye with a branch.

*At my sister's basketball games, at half time, I used to run down the bleachers, on to the court and pull my pants down.

*For years, I would pretend to take the vitamins my Mom served me by hiding them in every nook in cranny in the house. . . she discovered them all upon selling the house (nearly a decade after she started giving them to me).

*I would often pretend that I was dead by lying completely still on the ground, halting my breathing for as long as possible, just to see my Mom overreact each and every time.

*I would pretend that I had drowned in our swimming pool by floating face down as long as possible whenever I would hear my Mom call for me, just to see her overreact each and every time.

*I would fool my friends into thinking that my family set up a pee detector in our pool. According to my fib, if one were to urinate in the pool, bells would go off, along with red lights flashing frantically, and the "pee police" would come and take them away.

. . .This is just the tip of the iceberg. Needless to say, I was a terror as a child. I'm just grateful my parents managed to never beat me or put me up for adoption (justifiable actions in my case).

I tried to build a spaceship...it involved a cardboard box and lots of tin foil, i was set on being the first kid in space haha

ylimeU2 said:

On a more dangerous note, my bother and I would "sled" down our stairs. We lived in an old house with 25 hard wood, uncarpeted steps. At the end was a landing and very hard wall. We would lay head-first on our sleeping bags and and go down. Our parents never knew until there was an incident where my brother crashed in the wall and got a concussion.

We used to do that too, but they were carpeted. We had a wall too and I smacked into it once, no concussion.

I used to eat crayons, and sometimes the insides of my mother's cigarettes, when I was a kid- maybe I had that pica thing going on. And I would eat Wintergreen life savers in the closet to see the sparks.

We also used to spin our kittens on a turntable :silent: and put them in our toy Winnebago camper and push them around.

We built a fort on the side of our house complete with bunk beds, escape hatch and a hinged locking door! It was awesome. We also tried to make bigger "skateboards" by nailing wheels from skates onto pieces of plywood. We had a Slip & Slide we'd slide downhill on our front lawn, that was fun. We had fruit wars in the orchards surrounding us (apricot and cherry in No Calif and orange and grapefruit in So Cal). We clipped playing cards to our bike wheel spokes so they sounded like motorcycles too. We had pogo sticks, hula hoops, and Dad made us some stilts which were the hit of the neighborhood! :up: Good stuff. Good times.

I wrote plays :nerd: I think I still have some of them hidden away somewhere :hmm: I always had grand ideas for them, but could never finish them :giggle:

My friends and I had a strange habit of getting really silly and recording ourselves :blahblah: on blank tapes. I have no clue what we were going on about or what we were thinking, but they were really ridiculous :eeklaugh: I'm pretty sure I destroyed all the evidence............. :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom