Sigur Ros question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kosull

The Fly
For anyone who has their album ( ). I've had it for about a year and one thing has always bugged me - are the lyrics the exact same on every song (with minor variations) or am I just not listening properly?

From the FAQ section of their website:

what language does jónsi sing in?
on the first three albums (von, von brigði, ágætis byrjun), jónsi sang most songs in icelandic but two of them (von and olsen olsen) were sung in 'hopelandic'. all of the vocals ( ) are however in hopelandic. hopelandic (vonlenska in icelandic) is the 'invented language' in which jónsi sings before lyrics are written to the vocals. it's of course not an actual language by definition (no vocabulary, grammar, etc.), it's rather a form of gibberish vocals that fits to the music and acts as another instrument. jónsi likens it with what singers sometimes do when they've decided on the melody but haven't written the lyrics yet. many languages were considered to be used on ( ), including english, but they decided on hopelandic. hopelandic (vonlenska) got its name from first song which jónsi sang it on, hope (von).

where can i find sigur rós lyrics and translations?
you won't be able to find lyrics and translations from ( ) because the vocals don't contain lyrics [see question above]. the band had planned to do official translations of ágætis byrjun in 2000 with the help of a grammarian but no progress has been made in this matter. you can read lyrics in icelandic with word-for-word english translations of song titles in our lyrics section.

For all Sigur Rós fans like me :heart: the new album will be released on 12 September, acording to their official site http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk
The album will be called Takk ( Thanks in English, Gracias en Español :wink: ).

Here´s the Tracklisting:

1. takk...
2. glósóli
3. hoppípolla
4. með blóðnasir
5. sé lest
6. sæglópur
7. mílanó
8. gong
9. andvari
10. svo hljótt
11. heysátan

The album will be around 65 minutes long :angel: and the songs are sung in Icelandic. Only the tracks 7 and 8 have been played live before, and if you can hear a sample of them go to the site
http://www.ocnos.com/ ( a fantastic page in Spanish ), click on the headphone ( Descargas ) and then download Gong ( Fragmento ) and Milanó ( Fragmento ).
I know it would be the album of the year by far.

Peace :wave:

Back
Top Bottom