Sigur Ros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey elfa, what was the merchandise like? On the last tour they had some seriously excellent merchandise. I got a handmade journal with little Sigury drawings on it, each one unique , special, and reasonably priced. I treasure it. I remember being the only person at the table and wanting everything on it. I went back 3x before I made up my mind.

Thank you for reminding me to stop by an ATM in the next couple hours!

To continue what Audiophile said, SIGUR ROS 2NITE!!1!111!!!11!!~11!11!!!11!111!!!!!!!1

:yippie: Have a great show mofo & audio!

I took an early morning drive through the desert this morning and was listening to Festival as the sun came up. I realized I might die when I hear it Tuesday.

Just returned from what was likely one of the best shows I've seen in my life. There wasn't a "seated GA" as advertised, it was all standing GA. Luckily we got there early, and I couldn't have asked for a better location to see them from. I was one person back from the stage, Audiophile and another friend were directly behind me. The people in front of us were either short or bent over up against the wall, so we could see right over their heads. The bass player and drummer were directly in front of us, Jonsi was about 20 feet away. It was surreal beyond belief to witness what I've seen on Heima and online so many times from so unbelievably close. I let out an enormous scream when I heard the opening notes of Svefn-g-Englar start the show. I was horrified that we'd end up with miserable sound quality, as we couldn't hear the guitar from the opening band at all (we were standing close enough that we could hear his actual strings being strummed, but couldn't hear any actual sound from an amp). My worries were immediately squashed, as it was PERFECT. Like any live show, the the bass and drums drowned out some of the subtle harmonics and notes (particularly on the piano), but it was absolutely perfect outside of that. Jonsi's voice was amazing, the guitar was incredible, the bass wasn't too overbearing, and the drums were amazing to witness from so close. If anything, the drums were the most surprisingly impressive thing for me. The endless rain of confetti during Gobbledigook came down right on top of us, and everyone around us was laughing and cheering with delight through the whole thing as it truly seemed like the confetti would not stop coming down. Audiophile and I both actually got used drumsticks that their roadie through out after the show, as he threw them in the exact same spot (I think mine actually nailed Audiophile in the side of the head when he was picking his up)!

They played for an hour and 40 mins. I'm honestly a bit more fuzzy on the setlist at this point than I thought I'd be. I'm pretty sure on the first 2 or 3, and pretty sure on the last 4. Other than that, don't trust my order (and I may have even left some out)

Svefn-g-Englar
Ny Batteri
E-Bow (Untitled 6)
Heysatan
Hoppipolla
Med Blondnasir
Vid spilum endalaust
Inni mer syngur vitleysingur
Festival
Hafsol
Gobbledigook

Saeglopur
Popplagio (Untitled 8)

Yeah, pretty sure I'm leaving one or two songs out...I'll post the real setlist and order as soon as I find it.

If anything, the drums were the most surprisingly impressive thing for me.

I felt this way when I saw them in 2006. Maybe it's the positioning of the drums at the front of the stage with the side view of him, or maybe he's just one of the best/most-fun-to-watch drummers I've ever seen.

Anyway :applaud: on your good fortune at the show. I hope I have good luck in Tempe although I am NOT looking forward to standing in line in 103 degree temperature. That's just wrong. And I haven't heard one good thing about the venue. In fact, there are pages on message boards dedicated to its horribleness. :(

And you really scared me with that replacing Glosoli with All Alright business, i.e., replacing one of the best Sigur Ros songs with one of the worst. That would be tragic. They have to stop that immediately.

Here's the official setlist.

salt lake city 9/28/08

Svefn-G-Englar
Ny Batteri
E-bow (untitled 6)
Við Spilum Endalaust
Hoppipolla
Meo Blódnasir
Inni Mér Syngur Vitleysingur
Festival
Svo Hljótt
Heysátan
Hafsól
Gobbledigook
---
Sæglópur
Popplagid (untitled 8)

Apparently they had Glosoli listed as one of three encore songs, but they didn't play it.
:sad:

Apparently they had Glosoli listed as one of three encore songs, but they didn't play it.
:sad:

No!!!!

Alright, I'll echo everything that U2popmofo said in his post. It was just awesome. Seats were amazing (we were so close!), sound was amazing, it was just awesome.

So then, here are my most memorable Sigur Ros concert moments (order of when they happened)

1. Standing in line behind Mutton Chops guy
2. Someone shouting "You sound just like Sigur Ros" while the opening band was playing, then someone else shouting "Asshole!"
3. Having the band come out and thinking "OMG I can't believe they are so close. OMG THEY ARE SO FRIGGIN CLOSE!!"
4 Looking up and seeing Mutton Chops guy in the top area
5. Am I really hearing Ny Batteri live?!?!?!?!?!
6. Hoppipolla: This is one of the best songs ever made...I could die right now and be a happy man
7. Clapping along and screaming my head off during Inni Mér Syngur Vitleysingur
8. Fully realizing how awesome the build up is for Festival
9. Hafsol: Was the best sounding song of the show for me. Watching Jonsi toss his torn bow out to the crowd and seeing the bassist break his high string was incredible
10. Loudly clapping along during Goobledigook and having TONS of confetti rain down all over me. I have never laughed so hard in all my life during a concert just from experiencing pure joy and excitement. The girl next to me seemed apprehensive during the entire show and during this song looked right at me and shouted 'This is incredible!' while laughing hysterically. Looked at U2popmofo and everyone else around me and seeing them laugh just as hard.
10 a. Picking confetti out of my glasses and barely seeing the band through the thick stuff.
10 b. I wish I could have bottled up emotions or have someone take a picture of the crowd druing this song. I'll remeber that feeling for a long time.
11. Watching conffeti explode off of the drummers drums during Saeglopur.
12. Almost crying during Popplagid (untitled 8). That is the way God intended for a Sigur Ros concert to end.
13. Catching a drumstick from one of the roadie's! Catching a second drumstick to the face and nearly breaking my glasses.

Again, I echo everything that U2popmofo said. My only complaint was (even if you can call it a complaint) that they did not have live horns or strings performed by Ammina like last tour. Still, it was amazing to me to here just four guys producing that much sound.

PS I listened to Goobledigook while coming into work today and caught excessive goosebumps and chills.......

Most memorable concert ever!

Wow, what great reviews! I got goose bumpy just reading them. I say without hesitation that the show I saw in 2006 was second only to ZooTV in my experience. And I did cry during Untitled #8, and also Glosoli and Ny Batteri. It's possible I cried throughout the whole show.

Okay guys, how early do I have to get in line to get spots as good as yours?

Wow, what great reviews! I got goose bumpy just reading them. I say without hesitation that the show I saw in 2006 was second only to ZooTV in my experience. And I did cry during Untitled #8, and also Glosoli and Ny Batteri. It's possible I cried throughout the whole show.

Okay guys, how early do I have to get in line to get spots as good as yours?

Well, the tickets said that doors open at 6:30 (they let people in a little after 6 or so) and we got there just bit before 5:30.

We could have been right at the front but we kept debating on whether or not to go up in the tope section. I'm glad we stayed on the floor near the front, we were covered in conffetti!

Well, the tickets said that doors open at 6:30 (they let people in a little after 6 or so) and we got there just bit before 5:30.

As a couple disclaimers, please realize SLC was the only date of the tour that didn't sell out, the show was on a Sunday in the land of Mormons, and the venue is out in the middle of nowhere on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. These three things probably had an effect on how few people were in line before the show, so it could be completely different elsewhere.

I've had Sigur Ros in my head all day.

As a couple disclaimers, please realize SLC was the only date of the tour that didn't sell out, the show was on a Sunday in the land of Mormons, and the venue is out in the middle of nowhere on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. These three things probably had an effect on how few people were in line before the show, so it could be completely different elsewhere.

Yeah, I thought about that. Tempe's a college town. It will be a completely different scene. I hate GA. :grumpy: Although occasionally it works in one's favor brilliantly, like in your situation last night.

9. Hafsol: Was the best sounding song of the show for me.

I think I agree on this. I hadn't really even thought about the song before the show, and certainly didn't expect it to be one of the highlights when it started. I definitely became a bigger fan of a bunch of songs that I wouldn't have said were my favorites before the show. Stand out songs for me from the show were probably: Svefn-g-Englar, Festival, Hafsol, Gobbledigook, and Popplagio. (and in all honesty, I was only looking forward to hearing one or two of those listed before the show....)

10. Loudly clapping along during Goobledigook and having TONS of confetti rain down all over me. I have never laughed so hard in all my life during a concert just from experiencing pure joy and excitement. The girl next to me seemed apprehensive during the entire show and during this song looked right at me and shouted 'This is incredible!' while laughing hysterically. Looked at U2popmofo and everyone else around me and seeing them laugh just as hard.
10 a. Picking confetti out of my glasses and barely seeing the band through the thick stuff.
10 b. I wish I could have bottled up emotions or have someone take a picture of the crowd druing this song. I'll remeber that feeling for a long time.
11. Watching conffeti explode off of the drummers drums during Saeglopur.

Great description. It's funny because generally if I hear "confetti" during a concert, it sounds kinda silly or cliche, but I don't think people could really understand how incredible it was to be a part of that without experiencing it themselves. I almost don't even remember the song itself, partially because there were so many drums being played that it was hard to hear anything else, and also because the confetti mixed with the crowd reaction was so hilarious that the the music itself seemed to take second stage to the crowd.

A couple humorous side notes we haven't mentioned:

1. A old friend from my home town was at the show and paid to score a box right above the stage. We were standing at an angle where to see Jonsi, he was essentially right behind and above him in the line of sight. It was hilarious to see people I know (him, his wife, his brother) at an angle like that flipping out during the show at all the same parts we were flipping out during as well.

2. I had an extra ticket and brought a friend from my home town with us who'd never heard Sigur Ros outside of me pointing them out while watching Life Aquatic a few months ago. I'm still not entirely sure what he thought, though he did say it all blended into one song for him by the end (which I think is partially do to the fact that the band is playing solo this time around, and you don't get the extra strings or horns to differentiate things a little better). He did seem to enjoy it and was impressed enough to say he'd like to hear some of their albums to see what they actually sound like in the studio.

3. I have to admit to "singing along" to some of Hoppipolla and Popplagio..... If anyone noticed, they probably were incredibly annoyed.

I think I agree on this. I hadn't really even thought about the song before the show, and certainly didn't expect it to be one of the highlights when it started. I definitely became a bigger fan of a bunch of songs that I wouldn't have said were my favorites before the show. Stand out songs for me from the show were probably: Svefn-g-Englar, Festival, Hafsol, Gobbledigook, and Popplagio. (and in all honesty, I was only looking forward to hearing one or two of those listed before the show....)

I've never loved Svefn-g-Englar the way most fans do and it occurs to me now that it would be awesome to hear live. Festival, I've had high hopes for and it's good to hear that it lives up. I hope they play it tomorrow. Looking at some of the setlists, it's not a given that they will play it. Now I have to go listen to Hafsol, a song I've never paid all that much attention to for some reason.

I can't wait for the confetti moment. I mean, I really couldn't wait so I found some clips. :reject:

Now I have to go listen to Hafsol, a song I've never paid all that much attention to for some reason.

I'd listened to it a number of times, but I'd never been won over by it until seeing it yesterday evening. Admittedly, it has a bigger impact on you when you can watch a man play bass guitar with a drumstick from 6 feet away. :wink:

I hope you do get Festival! That admittedly was one I still wasn't as big of a fan of as everyone else seemed to be, but it sure was impressive live! I'm actually listening to it again as I type. :cool:

Best of luck at tomorrow's show, I'm hoping you get one as good as we did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom