Sigur Ros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we had exactly the same setlist as Salt Lake City which is odd but totally great.

I had a completely perfect experience which included not only getting the rail right in front of Jonsi but also seeing the band on bicycles before the show. There were only 7 of us in line (having grossly overestimated the Sigur Ros's obsessive fan following, I was expecting a massive earlybird crowd, lol), and we were all sitting down in the shade and happened to look up at the same time and they all rode by us on small Icelandic-looking bicycles. Jonsi, looking like a giant on that little bike and wearing that goofy plaid cap with the earflaps (in 102 degree weather) looked at us with a mischievous grin. Later when they came back, the same 7 of us still sitting there, he gave us another devilish grin so I waved and he waved back. I blushed. I don't usually get starstruck, having worked around a lot of famous writers and stuff, plus just living in a small but popular city where it's nothing to have a famous person in your yoga class, or in front of you at Trader Joe's, and where just last Friday I had an encounter with Michael Franti at the health food store take-out counter only I'm not interested in him so it didn't matter...but an Icelandic rock star waves at me and I turn bright red.

It occurred to me later that I should not have waved at him because of course he's too polite not to wave back (whereas Thom Yorke might have given me the finger or, worse, told me to get a life, lol), and this caused him to have to take his eyes off the road, remove a hand from the handle bars, and what with only the one eye and all he could have crashed into a tree, and it would have been all my fault.

This, fortunately, did not happen.

So not only was that a fun and completely unexpected happening (how could you expect that?), but after a fair amount of disorganization on the venue's part where me being the 7th person in line suddenly turned into two lines, then four, and all bets were off about getting a good spot, when they opened the doors people ran to the bathroom, the concession stand, and the merchandise table (where Jonsi was signing autographs, I heard later) and I just breezed past everyone with my treadmill fast-walk and plopped myself front and center on the rail, where I did not move even when the fire alarm went off.

I have a lot to say about the actual show if anyone's interested but the last thing I'll say about the venue is that if you were wondering what happens to all the Blackwater "security personnel" when they come home from Iraq, I think they're all working at the Tempe Marquee.

Anyway, the show was the best show I've seen since I saw Sigur Ros in 2006. It was a very different show, though. The one in 2006 was bigger in every way - more people, more sounds, more lights, more colors, more visuals, more theatrical - and while I would have loved to have had all that again, Sigur Ros the 4-man rock band is unbelievable.

Some highlights:

- I loved everyone's clothes!

- The drummer is one of the hardest working I've ever seen!

- While Takk/Glosoli may be the best way to open a Sigur Ros show, Svefn-g-Englar is certainly second best!!

- Ny Batteri best ever second song! A little slice of heaven.

- Heysatan may be my favorite of the quiet songs. I had sort of dismissed it until the Heima DVD, where I fell in love with it. It was stunning last night, with all the band performing tightly around Jonsi on the pump organ, and little lights that seemed to be breath-activated to his vocals. And Jonsi looks like a madman on that organ.

- Festival. Wow. Just wow. It was easily the standout song for me on the new record the first time I heard it and it is amazing live.

- Hafsol. Incredible. If mofo hadn't given me a heads up on this song I wouldn't have even been able to identify it but it was a highlight.

- Gobbledigook, Inni, Hoppipolla, and Við Spilum Endalaust make people very very happy! I found confetti in my purse this morning. No idea how it got there except everyone was so sweaty, it stuck.

- Untitled 8 started out rocky. I thought Jonsi came in off pitch, but could have been distorted by my earplugs. Anyway, he looked horrified, and gave a look to the keyboard player (on guitar) who shrugged sympathetically and gave a motion that looked like "go up." Something was off about the whole song, and they were all giving each other looks. I don't know what happened but it was still amazing. Did they throw stuff and knock over the drums in SLC, appearing to be pissed off, was that part of the show? So it ended on a weird note with some confusion from the audience until they all came out for the final bow, then everyone went crazy. When they all stepped to the edge of the stage right in front of me it was just amazing. How stupid am I not to have had a camera!

Parachutes - despite my dislike of having to sit through an opening band, it was hard not to like these guys especially when I wanted to invite them over for hot chocolate and cookies (but not in Arizona).

That was all probably W A Y more than anyone wanted to know but I had to tell someone and my friends don't care.

That was all probably W A Y more than anyone wanted to know but I had to tell someone and my friends don't care.

lol I appreciated it! I'm starting to think my review is pretty insignificant compared to you guys :reject:

OK, Takk is pretty great.

My favorite: Seaglopur. It's so absurdly epic.

HA HA! I knew it! :hi5:

Okay too bad. I'm trying out Ágætis Byrjun. As long as it doesn't turn me away from them, it should be fine. Is it that different from Takk?

AB has the "classic" Sigur Ros sound in my opinion, as it's what more or less defined them as a band. That's how I think of it at least. Takk... still has some of that, but things feel more concise (in sound and length), more production and added orchestration, and "poppier" songs (if you can say that about Sigur Ros). In terms of accessibility, I personally would think Takk... is far and away the most easily digestible.

I am seeing them tonight in San Diego, the first time seeing them since 2003. I am excited.

Awesome, hope it's a good one.

I have a lot to say about the actual show if anyone's interested

Yes, more please.

AB has the "classic" Sigur Ros sound in my opinion, as it's what more or less defined them as a band. That's how I think of it at least. Takk... still has some of that, but things feel more concise (in sound and length), more production and added orchestration, and "poppier" songs (if you can say that about Sigur Ros). In terms of accessibility, I personally would think Takk... is far and away the most easily digestible.

:up: Agree completely.

Zootles, I have looked in my crystal ball and see that you are soon to become obsessed with Sigur Ros.

That was all probably W A Y more than anyone wanted to know

Too much is not enough.

Some highlights:

- I loved everyone's clothes!

- Festival. Wow. Just wow. It was easily the standout song for me on the new record the first time I heard it and it is amazing live.

- Hafsol. Incredible. If mofo hadn't given me a heads up on this song I wouldn't have even been able to identify it but it was a highlight.

- Did they throw stuff and knock over the drums in SLC, appearing to be pissed off, was that part of the show? So it ended on a weird note with some confusion from the audience until they all came out for the final bow, then everyone went crazy. When they all stepped to the edge of the stage right in front of me it was just amazing. How stupid am I not to have had a camera!

Parachutes - despite my dislike of having to sit through an opening band, it was hard not to like these guys especially when I wanted to invite them over for hot chocolate and cookies (but not in Arizona).

-Did the drummer look like the Burger King at your show too?

-I knew you'd love Festival.

-Drum stick + bass guitar = awesome

-Jonsi did knock the mic stand over, which I now remember wondering if he did it intentionally or not. I also remember being bummed by the bow at first. Seeing them walk off of stage with the lights still off, I was thinking there'd be a second encore. The bow was cool though once I realized it was over.

-Any idea which member of Parachutes is Jonsi's boyfriend?

:yes: I forgot to mention its awesomeness last night.

One of the biggest cheers of the night from me came when I heard the opening notes to Saeglopur. It made me laugh, because without even turning around and looking at Audiophile, I could already hear him cheering just as loud.

-Any idea which member of Parachutes is Jonsi's boyfriend?

The adorable one, of course.
308907368_021db996fb.jpg

Too much is not enough.

-Did the drummer look like the Burger King at your show too?

Yes and I think he looked like that on the last tour, too!

How about the keyboard player pimped out in white patent leather loafers? Apparently no one informed him of the after-Labor-Day-rule. :lol:

I think I'm in love with every member of the band. :sigh:

it's gonna drive me nuts now! :angry:

it was a slow song... Fljotavik?

You know, we didn't get any slow songs from the new record (I still don't know what to call it since I can't spell it or pronounce it), except for Festival which doesn't count because it ends up not slow and not quiet. It'll come to me. Maybe.

Have I said lately that Sigur Ros know how to end a song? And that Radiohead should have consulted with them before ending "All I Need"?

Zootles, I have looked in my crystal ball and see that you are soon to become obsessed with Sigur Ros.

:lol:

Listened to AB till track 4. I instantly recognized tracks 2 and 3. They're both nice especially #2. #4 hasn't really hit me. Had to take a break cos I had to start my evening shift at work. Will have to continue later.

Have I said lately that Sigur Ros know how to end a song? And that Radiohead should have consulted with them before ending "All I Need"?

:yes: If they had somehow ended All I need with a build like Inn? Mér Syngur Vitleysingur, the pure awesomeness of that track would have destroyed my eardrums :drool:

Zoots, the title track (#9) is my fav

The adorable one, of course.
308907368_021db996fb.jpg

I don't remember which member of the band that was now, doesn't even look familiar.

I had no idea Jonsi has some eye related issue. I too have a not so noticeable lazy eye, hopefully that means that one day I will be as awesome at music as Thom and Jonsi.

I don't remember which member of the band that was now, doesn't even look familiar.

I had no idea Jonsi has some eye related issue. I too have a not so noticeable lazy eye, hopefully that means that one day I will be as awesome at music as Thom and Jonsi.

Jonsi is blind in one eye. And I did not notice your lazy eye at all!

Okay, here's a better picture of Alex Somers:
327421085_44208c3fcf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom