Sidney Crosby scores one of the best goals you'll EVER see (see video)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This kid is supposed to be the next Gretzky. He has been invited to the World Junior Championships tryout camp, and he's only 16!! He's the 4th 16 year old to ever be invited to the World Juniors, and the only under 18 year old at this year's camp. Gretzky was the last 16 year old to dominate the tournament, back in 1978, when he won tournament MVP and made 1st team all-star, center.

Sidney Crosby has been dominating the QMJHL this year, playing against players much older than himself. He has 27 goals and 67 points in only 29 outings so far in his rookie season! Gretzky even said he's for real, and could break some of his NHL records.

Anyway, check out this AMAZING goal he scored the other night. It made the play of the week here in Canada, despite it not being from the NHL. All I have to say is, lacrosse anyone?

http://www.habsworld.net/show_news.php?id=176

Last edited:
True, it's been done before, and it will be done again. But it's not every day you get to see it. I think I prefer the time when Gretz scored a natural hat trick - the first one from behind the net, off Mike Liut's back and in (after he'd been back there for about two minutes), and the 2nd and 3rd off the faceoff. That was pretty spactacular, too.

Jog my memory. Who scored a lacrosse type goal in 1997? Bure?

it was in college, a michigan player, named mike legg i believe

the thing is the defender should level the guy as soon as he puts the puck on the stick

Cherry criticizes Crosby for being a "hot dog"

TORONTO (CP) -- Sidney Crosby, the 16-year-old centre considered to be the hottest hockey prospect since Mario Lemieux, was scolded by Don Cherry on Saturday night.

On his Coach's Corner segment during the Hockey Night In Canada telecast of the Toronto-Ottawa NHL game, Cherry singled out Crosby for being a hotdog.

"I like the kid," Cherry began. "I see the way he plays and everything.

"But I've seen him now after goals. He slides on the ice on his knees."

Crosby's Rimouski Oceanic defeated the Quebec Remparts 7-1 Friday night.

HNIC rolled a video showing Crosby scoring a goal. He turned his stick and tipped the puck onto the blade, raised it to waist level and, in a tricky move from behind the goal-line, reached forward to drop the puck into the net.

"You talk about a hotdog," said Cherry. "I think it was 5-0. It's 5-0.

"The Quebec Remparts are going to remember this one," he added as the video rolled. "Watch what he does here.

"Everybody thinks, 'Oh, this is super.' This is a hotdog move. Quebec Remparts will remember that the next time they play. They'll be after him. He's going to get hurt. They're going to grab the mustard and put it all over him. He can't be a hotdog like that."

Crosby has 66 points including 26 goals in 28 games. The second leading point-getter in the league was 19 points behind the rookie from Cole Harbour, N.S., Saturday

Chizip said:
it was in college, a michigan player, named mike legg i believe
Yes, yes it was. The author of this article has it wrong (he said no one would ever score another goal like it), but it's a great read nonetheless:

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1997/feb/02-11-97/sports/sports3.html

The difference with Crosby's goal is that he's a left hand shot, which makes it all the more amazing considering he managed to put the puck in from the right side. Even after watching it in slow motion, it's difficult to discern how he cupped the puck while rolling it both downward and back without losing it. Absolutely incredible. Mike Legg was a right hand shot, and going in from the right side would thus be much easier.

Chizip said:
Cherry criticizes Crosby for being a "hot dog"

TORONTO (CP) -- Sidney Crosby, the 16-year-old centre considered to be the hottest hockey prospect since Mario Lemieux, was scolded by Don Cherry on Saturday night.

On his Coach's Corner segment during the Hockey Night In Canada telecast of the Toronto-Ottawa NHL game, Cherry singled out Crosby for being a hotdog.

"I like the kid," Cherry began. "I see the way he plays and everything.

"But I've seen him now after goals. He slides on the ice on his knees."

Crosby's Rimouski Oceanic defeated the Quebec Remparts 7-1 Friday night.

HNIC rolled a video showing Crosby scoring a goal. He turned his stick and tipped the puck onto the blade, raised it to waist level and, in a tricky move from behind the goal-line, reached forward to drop the puck into the net.

"You talk about a hotdog," said Cherry. "I think it was 5-0. It's 5-0.

"The Quebec Remparts are going to remember this one," he added as the video rolled. "Watch what he does here.

"Everybody thinks, 'Oh, this is super.' This is a hotdog move. Quebec Remparts will remember that the next time they play. They'll be after him. He's going to get hurt. They're going to grab the mustard and put it all over him. He can't be a hotdog like that."

Crosby has 66 points including 26 goals in 28 games. The second leading point-getter in the league was 19 points behind the rookie from Cole Harbour, N.S., Saturday

Just another thing Cherry's totally off base on. Why is it that he never complained when Gretzky used to "hotdog" and run up the score? Gretzky used to say that if he had 8 points in a game, he'd be going for 10. He also said he played no differently whether it was 8-2 or 1-0. He was relentless, no matter what. In Crosby's case, we could easily look at it from a different perspective: If the game had been 3-2, and he tried that move and failed, everyone would be harping on him for doing that in such a tight game and risking a loss. He was only having fun in a 5-0 game. There was no risk. If he had failed, they would still have easily won. Why is it we must chastise players for entertainment and having fun? He's only 16 for goodness sake. This is the problem with Canadians. Only in Canada would we criticize a talented hockey player for being a talented hockey player. The same thing happened with Gretzky back in the day (all the "he sucks" comments despite the 200 point seasons, etc, etc). We Canadians really need to get over ourselves some times... especially Cherry.

Chizip said:
the thing is the defender should level the guy as soon as he puts the puck on the stick

Yes, sadly, I don't think the Gopher player expected for hime to score from behind. THAT goal will always stick out in my mind as the most amazing goal ever scored.

I saw a goal in a HS game where it hit the backboards, hit the goalie in the head and went in. :|

Crosby disputes 'hot dog' label

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?id=62735

Canadian Press

12/2/2003

MONTREAL (CP) - If Sidney Crosby can maintain the poise he showed Monday in front of a crowd of cameras and microphones, his chances of making Canada's national junior squad look good.

Crosby was the main attraction at a news conference at the Bell Centre after it was announced he was among 34 players invited to try out for the Canadian team to play at the world junior championships in Finland later this month.

``I'm used to it,'' said the 16-year-old hockey phenom from Cole Harbour, N.S. ``I realize there's a time to take care of the media and a time to play hockey I try to balance them both.

``I'm happy for the opportunity to play for Team Canada, but I'm not all the way there yet. I've got a lot to prove. I want to have a good camp. I can't be nervous or go in scared.''

Crosby has displayed eye-popping puck-handling skills while dominating the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League scoring race with 26 goals and 40 assists in 29 games as a rookie with the Rimouski Oceanic.

Some have called Crosby the best teenaged hockey prospect since Mario Lemieux in the mid-1980s. Wayne Gretzky has said Crosby may be the one who eventually breaks some his NHL scoring records.

But the comment brought up most often this day was a diss from Hockey Night In Canada commentator Don Cherry, who accused Crosby of being a ``hotdog'' for his sliding celebration of a highlight-reel goal Friday against the Quebec Remparts.

Crosby had picked up the puck with the blade of his stick and, from behind the goal-line, reached forward and dropped it in the net.

``I can't agree with that - I don't taunt other teams,'' said Crosby, adding that the celebration had more to do with having successfully tested a new move than with piling on another goal in a 7-1 win.

``I'm an emotional player and when I score a goal, I'm going to be happy,'' he said. ``I worked on a move that I tried for the first time in that game and it worked.

``That was basically the point behind it. It wasn't to taunt or show off. I try not to be that type of player and I hope people realize that's not the type of player I am.

``It's a move in saw in the NCAA and I thought I'd give it a try and it worked, so I was happy,'' he added.

He got support from two former Oceanic stars now with the Tampa Bay Lightning, Vincent Lecavalier and Brad Richards, who were at the Bell Centre to practice for a game Tuesday night against the Montreal Canadiens.

``I heard about that comment and I know he's not that kind of kid,'' said Richards, who has tutored Crosby at hockey camps in Summerside, P.E.I. ``He's out there having fun.

``If he was in Ontario, Don Cherry probably loves him. Who knows?''

``It's junior hockey,'' added Lecavalier. ``I did things in junior after I scored goals.

``He's only 16. He's having fun with the game. From what I've heard, he's a very humble guy.''

Crosby has a tall order ahead of him in trying to make the world junior team. Only four 16-year-olds before him - Gretzky, Eric Lindros, Jay Boumeester and Jason Spezza - have done it.

The squad will be trimmed to 22 players at a training camp Dec. 11-18 in Kitchener, Ont. The tournament begins Dec. 26.

``I've played with older guys all my life,'' said Crosby. ``I don't step on the ice thinking: Wow, I'm playing with 19 or 20-year-olds.

``Once you're on the ice, you're all equal.''

That's how head coach Mario Durocher of the QMJHL's Lewiston Maniacs sees it, too.

``I'm not looking at whether he's 16, 18 or 19, or whether he's English, French or Italian,'' said Durocher. ``I just want the best 22 guys.''

Blair Mackasey, the national team's head scout, won't predict whether Crosby will make the team, but said he earned the chance.

``He's a 16-year-old playing against the best 18 and 19-year-olds in the world, which is a challenge for anybody,'' said Mackasey. ``But he certainly proved at the world under-18s last summer and at the Canada Games last year that he deserves the opportunity.

``Sidney Crosby can do some amazing things.''

Lecavalier, who was the hottest junior in hockey when he was drafted first overall by Tampa Bay in 1998, was 17 when he played at the world juniors and knows what lies ahead for Crosby.

``I was a year younger than the others and I admit I felt a little intimidated,'' said Lecavalier. ``You go in there thinking: These are the best guys in Canada and they're all a year or two older. They're bigger and stronger.

``I'm sure he'll be fine. You have to play the same way you always do. Just because guys are older doesn't mean they're better. But he seems confident. Coming into the (QMJHL) and scoring that many goals right away - he didn't seem too intimidated with that.''

mats sundin scored a nice goal last night. backhand from the side to the far top corner of the net.

made him the leafs all time leader in game winning goals.

not bad for a gutless swede.

Apparently they had to take the video down because the demand was too high... but they've posted a couple other sites on there where you can get it. Here's one of the direct links, which isn't really working very well (hopefully only temporarily) :

http://pages.infinit.net/brush/crosbygoal.wmv

If anyone wants to host it on their server, you can e-mail your address to them, and they'll post the link on their site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom