Sid Meier's Random Music Talk CIV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every time I hear "Time of the Season," I think I should look further into The Zombies. Not sure why I haven't done it yet.

I used to get the zombies and the animals mixed up when I was a kid. I like the animals, zombies not so much.

Every time I hear "Time of the Season," I think I should look further into The Zombies. Not sure why I haven't done it yet.

The rest of Odessey and Oracle couldn't be less like Time of the Season. If you like Care of Cell 44, listen to the rest. Actually, listen to it all anyway. Just don't expect Time of the Season.

How's the new Andy Stott album? iYup, were you the person who got me listening to his prior album? What do you think?

Bono wearing sunglasses all the time due to glaucoma = not a jerk
Stevie Wonder wearing sunglasses and pranking us all his life = jerk

I guess I have to stop telling the "Ever see Stevie Wonder's house?" Joke.

UMMM
F8E96C97-959A-474D-A9D5-81E103129B37_zpslufdauwd.png

That music had better see the light of day, even if I have to eat to the middle of a gummy swimming pool to get to it.

SFA's Guerrilla has really grown on me. Probably their strangest work, but also their most brisk and fun in many ways.

But you know what really grinds my gears? Pre-gap tracks. Turns out there was a fucking awesome song hidden in the pre-gap that's probably better than 75% of the album. I'm guessing it's only on the CD version.

Last edited:
I gave the Manics' Everything Must Go a second listen the other day and I still think it's awesome. I need to hear their debut, everyone tells me Motorcycle Emptiness is amazing but I can't even think of how that one goes.

Vlad, the Manics are the greatest band of all-time and I'm convinced of it strongly.

They mean a lot. I tend to agree.

I gave the Manics' Everything Must Go a second listen the other day and I still think it's awesome. I need to hear their debut, everyone tells me Motorcycle Emptiness is amazing but I can't even think of how that one goes.

Generation Terrorists is a worthwhile listen, although I would say its ambition eclipses the actual music in the album. The whole 'sell 16/17 million albums and then split up' attitude is still greatly amusing to me today, but also admirable because it's something not even Liam Gallagher would go on about.

Everything Must Go is fucking stunning from top to bottom.

My second favourite Manics album after The Holy Bible. Have you listened to Journal For Plague Lovers and Futurology yet, by the way?

Plague Lovers is fucking great. Richey was the man. Have not heard Futurology yet, I need to buy it. I've been meaning to for a while now.

1. The Holy Bible
2. Everything Must Go
3. This Is My Truth
4. Plague Lovers
5. Send Away The Tigers

Is how I would rank the albums I've heard. Still a lot of digging left. I did listen to the debut once but not enough to feel comfortable ranking yet.

While I may struggle to enjoy The Holy Bible, I love Everything Must Go all through.

Also, "Motorcycle Emptiness" is my favorite song by them.

Plague Lovers is fucking great. Richey was the man. Have not heard Futurology yet, I need to buy it. I've been meaning to for a while now.

1. The Holy Bible
2. Everything Must Go
3. This Is My Truth
4. Plague Lovers
5. Send Away The Tigers

Is how I would rank the albums I've heard. Still a lot of digging left. I did listen to the debut once but not enough to feel comfortable ranking yet.

There's really no shortage of material to discover, after you go through every album, go to Lipstick Traces (the b-side collection circa 2003) and even after that the extensive range of b-sides. They're normally particularly generous when it comes to releasing b-sides. Glad to see This Is My Truth up high as well, I have a lot of fondness for that one.

SFA's Guerrilla has really grown on me. Probably their strangest work, but also their most brisk and fun in many ways.

But you know what really grinds my gears? Pre-gap tracks. Turns out there was a fucking awesome song hidden in the pre-gap that's probably better than 75% of the album. I'm guessing it's only on the CD version.

How does one access that? Skip backwards when the first song starts playing?

Actually I think Mojo Pin is the worst song on Grace, but I've pretty well decided I don't particularly like Grace. It was one of those mid/late nineties moments that are supposed to be special and just kind of aren't. Even in death, Jeff has faded remarkably.

Back
Top Bottom