Sid Meier's Random Music Talk CIV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's awesome they keep doing so many different kinds of side projects though. Whether the side projects have worked or not, it's cool they've kept making music at a frequency similar to their early days.

You already know I'm a huge fan of Blaqk Audio, so most of the time, I'm pretty ok with these side projects.

I'm pretty sure you're not advocating listening to this new album, though, right?

I'm delving a bit further into George Harrison's solo discography. I received the 30th anniversary box of All Things Must Pass for my 14th birthday and remember having a mixed opinion on it at the time, but over the years only the Apple Jam has prevented me from considering it a perfect 5/5 star masterpiece.

The thing is, it took so long for that album to grow on me that in all that time I never delved into anything else by Harrison. I've heard that besides the obvious, Living in the Material World, Cloud Nine and Brainwashed are worth hearing, so I'll listen to those.

I'm starting with Living in the Material World. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth) is absolutely wonderful. Three tracks in and I'm already regretting not hearing the album sooner.

Last edited:
Seagull, Here and Now and Vapour Trail ain't too shabby either.

But I prefer Going Blank Again as a whole.

I'm delving a bit further into George Harrison's solo discography. I received the 30th anniversary box of All Things Must Pass for my 14th birthday and remember having a mixed opinion on it at the time, but over the years only the Apple Jam has prevented me from considering it a perfect 5/5 star masterpiece.

The thing is, it took so long for that album to grow on me that in all that time I never delved into anything else by Harrison. I've heard that besides the obvious, Living in the Material World, Cloud Nine and Brainwashed are worth hearing, so I'll listen to those.

I'm starting with Living in the Material World. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth) is absolutely wonderful. Three tracks in and I'm already regretting not hearing the album sooner.

man, i love brainwashed. i think a lot of it comes from the fact that i discovered the album's existence in the most unceremonious manner. i was digging through the giant box of new music that had come into the radio station, and grabbed the copy of brainwashed without really knowing what it was. when i went to go listen to it back at my dorm, i got a better look at it and was like "wait a minute...THE george harrison?? what is this?" i didn't know anything about it being posthumously released, or that he'd been working on an album at all before he died. i thought i had grabbed an album by some shitty indie band named brainwashed because i hadn't see the "by george harrison" in the script in the corner. i'd just taken a pile of cds home with me to slap review stickers on "sounds like/recommended tracks" nonsense, and it had been in the pile.

i kept the cd, never did bring it back to the radio station. sort of figured they'd never miss it, if these were the type of people to throw george harrison albums could get thrown into the box amongst all the lesser albums released by people who were never in the beatles, then they didn't deserve it (totally disregarding that i didn't know about it prior to finding it, apparently that didn't mean i wasn't worthy either).

and it's fucking good. or the first 5 tracks are fucking awesome, and the rest is just decent. but really, it's fucking good. go listen to it.

I feel it to be one of the least-impressive double/triple albums I've ever heard. Not bad, mind you, but far from a masterpiece. I don't find it very fascinating as a whole or with individual tracks.

Listen to Sandinista.

GeHa's other solo albums are all worth checking out, from the four or so I've heard. Nothing phenomenal, nothing terrible.

Yeah, I said GeHa. Come at me.

Harrison's solo output is tremendously spotty. Lots of filler on those albums after the first two.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I love Cloud Nine. But of course, I also dig Jeff Lynne whereas others don't care for his production.

To go along with Travis' list from the list thread, All Things Must Pass is an album I may never hear, due to the length.

:shrug: I've never taken issue with all things must pass. But it's probably been 15 years since I listened to it.

And another 2 feet or so tonight.

Seriously? Holy fuck. I love snow and a blizzard that dropped 3 feet and knocked out local schools for an entire week remains one of my fondest childhood memories, but even I have my limits. Buffalo is going to be covered in slushy grey shit until April and probably drown everyone when it melts.

cover600x600.jpeg

Reminder from 1990:

Dreams Burn Down is awesome

Seagull, Here and Now and Vapour Trail ain't too shabby either.

But I prefer Going Blank Again as a whole.

Nowhere is the best album, but "Leave Them All Behind" is the genre-defining song.

Really can't agree with djerdap about Going Blank Again. It starts and ends well (starts perfectly, in fact) but the middle does little memorable.

Back
Top Bottom