Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that repeat "innocence" set changes. Tacking on to another conversation, yes, despite there being 3 years between the tours, I believe this is supposed to be a literal continuation of that tour. Aside from SFS, I'm okay with that section staying, as it was a highlight of IE.

I'm super excited for Monday, to be honest. It all came flooding back last night watching the reactions online. I think right now my only super minor quibble is 13 ending. I love the song, but other than 40, I am so not a fan of ending on a downbeat note.

Also, re Bono's tophat: That's some bad hat, Harry.

Maybe you're right and it won't change. I feel like the smarter thing would have been to mash-up the songs that have links (Lights of Home/Iris, 13/SFS, American Soul/Volcano), than simply repeat a sequence a lot of people just saw fairly recently.

As for 40, it's downbeat, but because of the singalong it winds up being really uplifting. Whereas
13 is meant to be reassuring and comforting but musically it's a little sad. As I said before though, I do think it's a neat bit of theatre to call back to the previous tour, and Bono exiting the stage the same way he entered at the beginning of The Miracle.

I think Acrobat likely survives. It seems like an integral part of the show. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, on the other hand, seems like it could be easily replaced. It would make me sad.

After all these years waiting for Acrobat to be played... Heck Miss YBOR asked The Edge in person when they were going to (which he smiled and said "Like I've never heard that one")..... I couldn't think they would have lived up to the buildup of this but surprisingly they did.... They really knocked it out of the park.

I think Acrobat likely survives. It seems like an integral part of the show. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, on the other hand, seems like it could be easily replaced. It would make me sad.

Agreed with this, especially as WGRWYH was never rehearsed in that spot. It seems the band aren't quite sure where to put it.

I wish they'd stuck with what they did early in rehearsals and played both of them at the end of the first set. Acrobat and UTEOTW together would be an almost unbeatable moment. Acrobat followed by Blurst Thing is rank idiocy.

So does anyone know if NSW went to opening night? I'm guessing he would have popped in with a drive-by review by now.

Hopefully he's not friends with Cobbler on FB and avoided being spoiled, unlike some other, less lucky souls. :sad:

All the best songs from SOE are packed into the same section: Love is Bigger (what a belter), Red Flag Day, Landlady, Blackout and Little Things too I guess.

But three of these they’re not playing.

Gotta say though, huge kudos to them for Love is Bigger. That’s a monster. It’s pretty much a Coldplay song sure, but kudos to U2 for making more than one song on this album I’d genuinely be keen to hear & see live.

Periscope watchers were saying a large portion of fans were heading for the exits tonight during 13.

The other dude that runs u2gigs is calling on the band to play Song for Someone and 13 as a medley. :|

If either song must be in the set, I wouldn't find a medley objectionable.

Of course they should both not be played in the first place, and definitely not separately in the same set.

Stoked that SFS was dropped. Good riddance. Baffled that they got rid of RBW, especially given they kept the intro sound effects - they don't make nearly as much sense leading into UTEOTW. And discarding WGRYWH just makes me sigh and mutter "this bloody band" to myself. Fucking drop ABOY or American Soul or Best Thing or one of those other sacks of soggy shit.

I haven't seen the show for myself but

The run of tracks from Desire to Pride looks like U2's discography on shuffle. I hope they tweak the order a bit, because the pacing is very strange.

With my luck I'll get Wild Honey instead of ...Wild Horses in DC.

A realistic version of this set that would improve the flow:

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. The Blackout
3. Lights of Home/Iris (snippet)
4. I Will Follow
5. Out of Control OR The Electric Co.
6. Red Flag Day
7. Cedarwood Road
8. Raised By Wolves
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. New Year's Day
11. UTEOTW

Break

12. Desire (iHeartRadio version)
13. HMTMKMKM
14. Acrobat
15. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
16. Staring at the Sun
17. The Showman
18. You're the Best Thing About Me
19. Get Out of Your Own Way
20. Beautiful Day
21. Pride
22. COBL

Break

23. Little Things
24. One
25. 13/Song for Someone (snippet)
26. Love Is Bigger

A good chunk of the songs are still pretty weak, but if they're insisting on playing them, this makes a lot more sense.

Nah I actually reckon The Good Song will stay as a staple, though I hope they fix up the sequence so that the next song doesn't give the audience whiplash.

I'm worried we're going to see less variation on the E stage though.
I think it's obvious SATS will rotate. The bumbling performance today does not bode well, especially as it's a song the band have always struggled with - a strange choice, really, to revive if they want to do something from Pop. But Blurst Thing? I can't see that going into rotation, even if it doesn't seem quite as at-home in the set as most other SOE songs. A number of people have suggested a full-band version after Beautiful Day would work, and I'm inclined to agree that it's not a terrible idea. That would at least free up those e-stage slots for more rotations. I also hope that the first song or two of the encore might be a bit rotational, rather than just dumping WGRYWH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom