Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fondly recall cringe-laughing with you when Bono did that assinine bird-flapping-wings move. ♡♡♡

If I find out Cori was in Denver in the last year and didn’t a) give me a hug or b) discuss drag race in person, I’ll be sad. Well mostly about the latter, I don’t really do hugs. But I’m pretty sure Marty gave me a hug like 13 years ago when I took the bus to Boston to hang out with him for a little bit. So maybe I’m due for another interferencer hug.

giphy.gif

If I find out Cori was in Denver in the last year and didn’t a) give me a hug or b) discuss drag race in person, I’ll be sad. Well mostly about the latter. I don't really do hugs.

Alas, I have not been in Denver. But if I end up there, I am gonna hug the shit out of you.

... oh wait. I mean, I am going to talk the shit out of Drag Race with you.

That might have been the most meme-honoring U2 show I've ever seen. Bono fucking up the intro to
Staring at the Sun
and hearing that the future is better made me feel like I could now be part of things I've been listening to in bootlegs for years.

That might have been the most meme-honoring U2 show I've ever seen. Bono fucking up the intro to
Staring at the Sun
and hearing that the future is better made me feel like I could now be part of things I've been listening to in bootlegs for years.

There are so many hashtags in my life.

Staring at the Sun

Coming up for night 2:

"It's a musical journey."

"Rock n' roll doggie!

"That song was about a mermaid I met once...we met once...in America."

God, I hope. Can't wait for tonight, since I'm seated and will be able to see everything I missed from GA last night.

Here are a bunch of thoughts I had about the show, including a direct C/P I just posted in the Set List thread. Most of this is just a collection of my stream of consciousness thoughts I was texting to LM during the show:

I was very disappointed to see they kept it completely intact. I was expecting a new centerpiece for this tour, with reminders of the last one (sort of like the album itself), and for that main part that interacts with the video board to be nearly identical was very disappointing.

REST OF THE SHOW COOKED THOUGH.

Also, I'm sick to death of hearing about "casual" fans, and won't except it as an excuse anymore after last night. Bono fucked up SATS, and the crowd completely took over. I realize it's a single, but it was not even close to a hit, and it's not a standard, and you could definitely hear the crowd pick Bono up when he flubbed the words to start, and then did it a SECOND time. PEOPLE KNOW THE SONGS. Stop using it as an excuse not to play them.

1) ECSTATIC that they're playing Red Flag Day. I was really afraid that would be the one song from the new album I wanted to hear they didn't play. I've almost completely been spoiler free, so I didn't know there was a risk factor involved at all in seeing it, so I'm glad it worked out.

2) Very confused by Larry's glasses.

3) Love the comic book and remix of HMTMKMKM

4) The B-stage is the best part of this show, and I was so glad I was in the exact right spot to really see the whole thing well. The AR/Snapchat Filter didn't work for shit, but it was cool when it did. And though I knew they were potentially going to play Acrobat thanks to *SOME PEOPLE* I didn't realize it was coming at that moment, so I really still got a good surprise out of it. What was really more shocking for me was SATS, and I was so happy to hear it. As I mentioned a few times, Bono fucked up the beginning and I was getting Vegas Popmart bootleg deja vu, but that was a really great moment in the end.

5) Desire kinda faked me out, I thought it was going to be a full version finally, but...nope! It was fun, though, but I was feeling kinda antsy at that point, since it was right after the run of same stuff from SOI tour > Elevation > Vertigo. I was getting nervous the B-Stage was just going to be acoustic stuff. So glad I was wrong.

6) American Soul is killer live. Sorry.

7) Bono's old man, "I have so many hashtags in my life" moment was hilarious.

8) Edge is from the future. It's better.

9) That felt like a really long show for U2, and I was very happy with it. I hated the encore as a fan, but it worked in a sense. I wish they'd ended with Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way and that really cool music video pull back effect with the cameras. I didn't need to hear Song For Someone again, even if we're pretending it's a new song. BUT I loved the light in the house, so I guess I'm glad there was one more song for that.

Anyways, I'm happy. These guys live are such another level from *almost* everyone else.

OH, also,

If I had known the cost of finally hearing Trip Through Your Wires live was to hear NOTHING from TJT on the next tour....I think I'd give it up all over again.

Glad you had a ball :)

Loved this bit of your review, so true:

Also, I'm sick to death of hearing about "casual" fans, and won't except it as an excuse anymore after last night. Bono fucked up SATS, and the crowd completely took over. I realize it's a single, but it was not even close to a hit, and it's not a standard, and you could definitely hear the crowd pick Bono up when he flubbed the words to start, and then did it a SECOND time. PEOPLE KNOW THE SONGS. Stop using it as an excuse not to play them.

From all the pics and snippets of video I've seen, it looks like an amazing show. But gee I'd really be reluctant to go more than once :huh: that's two cities in a row where the only change has been to entirely drop one of the new songs and not replace it with anything.
Wild Horses seems dead off one show and you're either getting Gloria or All Because of You :| and then literally from The Ocean onwards there's not been a single change, so it's the same show from, what, half an hour in? If that?

Today's show is the same as the opening night in Tulsa except

No SFS or Horses, which haven't been played since

From all the pics and snippets of video I've seen, it looks like an amazing show. But gee I'd really be reluctant to go more than once :huh: that's two cities in a row where the only change has been to entirely drop one of the new songs and not replace it with anything.
Wild Horses seems dead off one show and you're either getting Gloria or All Because of You :| and then literally from The Ocean onwards there's not been a single change, so it's the same show from, what, half an hour in? If that?

Yeah, night 2 used to mean a curveball, now it means getting ABOY instead of Gloria and Red Flag Day? Oof.

It's unreal how the b-stage got so much more variety on I&E and now that's been completely abandoned.

That segment where you hoped the meerkat stuff wouldn't be too awkward, and were relieved when they didn't play ordinary love

That segment where you hoped the meerkat stuff wouldn't be too awkward, and were relieved when they didn't play ordinary love

Except for Ordinary Love in a Suitcase, who was hanging out for his favourite song every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom