Shuttlecock XX: ((Show Spoiler))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what Boner/MJ reference are you talking about?

This one, from just a few posts up. :)

I'll just mention this here, because you know someone is thinking it and will post it at some point: do you guys think Boner will mention Michael's passing and/or snippet a song when the tour opens next week?

ETA: Aaaaaaaaand I was right. I just took a peek over in The Other Place.

I know what you mean. When I see massive outpourings of celebrity grief, like we're seeing here, I want to roll my eyes because Christ almighty, it's not like you knew him.

But then I have to step back and remember that everyone grieves for different things and in different ways, and sometimes with the celebrity deaths, they affect you in ways you're not expecting. I bawled my fool head off when Princess Di was killed, and I never really gave her two thoughts while she was alive.

So yeah, there you go.

I discovered a colleague sitting at her desk sobbing when Molly Ivins died. I couldn't relate to that for a second, although I liked Molly a whole bunch. I figure people's responses are complicated, triggering God knows what from their own lives.

I didn't really like making fun of Michael Jackson when he was alive, let alone now. I guess I saw him as such a tragic figure anyway that it wasn't even funny most of the time to me.

oh sorry, my bad...

people are speculating a lot of different snippets being added to songs and there is talk of dedicating Gone to him but nothing concrete as far as I can tell, I'm not even going to bother spoiler tagging it since I don't see they have actually done it yet, maybe there will be something if they rehearse tonight.

I had to google Molly Ivins and I'm still not entirely sure who she is :reject:

She was a smart, sassy newspaper columnist and political commentator from Texas who kept making more and more hilarious sense during the Bush years. No idea why my colleague had such an emotional response.

Oh, I did see that thread last night. I thought there was confirmation that they'd rehearsed something that referenced MJ.

WHUT.

Um, I think I'll pass on that one.

I mean, god bless her and all, and I think she and her situation are important, but ... no.

Oh c'mon, it'll be fun. I'll wear one.

ETA: although 'fun' might not be the intent

I never actually heard that song on Vertigo, so I'd like to hear it since I missed the Elevation tour completely. I was kind of glad I missed it on Vertigo, because I'm not all that interested in their acoustic sets (I was thrilled that each Vertigo show I saw had the more rockin' encores). If they do it on this tour, I'm hoping for the full band electric treatement.

I could have gone with my ex-boyfriend to the Vancouver show, but we'd just broken up and I knew I couldn't stay with him just for the ticket.

Also, leading up to it, I think I'd only gotten partial information, and knew that the only ticket I could really afford was GA, and I was not feeling the GA thing. It wasn't until it was too late that I heard about the heart and getting to be so close. But apparently even back then, I was less than thrilled with the idea of GA.

I'm not 100% sure of what my exact thought process was back then, but that's what I remember.

Elevation was so intense for me. So much stuff going on in my personal life, then 9/11. I missed the Joshua Tree tour because I was backpacking in Europe, and I missed Popmart because I was moving to NM and getting settled into my new life. Life happens during a U2 tour sometimes.

It's cool that Walk On is back, but those masks are all that I can leave behind.

Elevation SLC was actually my first U2 concert. They came to Utah during Popmart (first time doing a show here since '83), but I was in Japan. You have no idea how depressed that made me.

Elevation was a mindblowing experience, I had fan club GA tickets. We got there incredibly early, and got right up on the fence that blocked the front part of the GA section, and were right next to the heart as well. I lost my voice pretty much the second I saw the band walking out to get on the stage.

I know what you mean. When I see massive outpourings of celebrity grief, like we're seeing here, I want to roll my eyes because Christ almighty, it's not like you knew him.

But then I have to step back and remember that everyone grieves for different things and in different ways, and sometimes with the celebrity deaths, they affect you in ways you're not expecting. I bawled my fool head off when Princess Di was killed, and I never really gave her two thoughts while she was alive.

So yeah, there you go.

That makes total sense. It's just incredible how it all went down yesterday. I grew up listening to the guy, but I never had that connection that people growing up along with him had, you know?

My theory is the guy who tried to kill Goldblum and Ford is the same guy who erased the name off of that door at the U2 studio.

I grew up listening to the guy, but I never had that connection that people growing up along with him had, you know?

I hear you. :)

Stop with the "omg Elevation was amazing" talk - you're making me feel awful again for missing it. I thought I got over that years ago! :scream:

I had a sort of drunken encounter with Jeff Goldblum at Carumba in NYC. Carumba had these amazing margaritas - that's why you went there - and most of the cast of The Big Chill were sitting in a booth next to me and my boyfriend's table, and the margs were flowing at both tables. I only recognized them from the posters in the subway - the movie hadn't actually opened yet. The then-geeky but still charming Goldblum kept trying to talk to me, insisting we knew each other from "the studio" (the Actor's Studio I realized years later). My boyfriend got really jealous and we had a fight about it later. That's my Jeff Goldblum story. And yes, I'm kind of old. :angry:

I know I'm always name-dropping but hey, 15 years in NYC gives you a lot of material.

I had a sort of drunken encounter with Jeff Goldblum at Carumba in NYC. Carumba had these amazing margaritas - that's why you went there - and most of the cast of The Big Chill were sitting in a booth next to me and my boyfriend's table, and the margs were flowing at both tables. I only recognized them from the posters in the subway - the movie hadn't actually opened yet. The then-geeky but still charming Goldblum kept trying to talk to me, insisting we knew each other from "the studio" (the Actor's Studio I realized years later). My boyfriend got really jealous and we had a fight about it later. That's my Jeff Goldblum story. And yes, I'm kind of old. :angry:

I know I'm always name-dropping but hey, 15 years in NYC gives you a lot of material.

you have lead an interesting life...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom