Shuttlecock XX: ((Show Spoiler))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not concerned at all at what others think of my tastes or the music I like, I just like to enjoy music a much in a social way (talking about and enjoying the same music with people),

Gotcha. I would like to be more social with my music. I listen to music I love and want to share it with people, but the people in my life either a) already know and love it; b) aren't as passionate about music as I am and will likely go "hmm, it's okay"; c) or have totally different taste in music than I do.

My ideal mate - and I know he's out there somewhere - is someone who shares my passion and we at least have similar tastes, so we could sit around playing music, both exclaim "I LOVE THIS SONG" and get up and dance and sing along like crazy people.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

The music I do want to listen to usually is stuff I've been a fan of for ages, maybe I'm just sick of forcing new stuff down my throat.

Maybe it's time to take refuge in the old stuff you know and love. It's like macaroni and cheese for the soul - comfort music! :)

Maybe I normally use music as a crutch during the hard times, and since I'm feeling good, I'm not wanting music.

This is what happened with me in the 90s. I was in love and traveling the world with the boyfriend, studying Italian (he's Italian), and doing other things. I still went to a lot concerts but I wasn't up on all the latest bands and wasn't buying a lot of CDs. I remember one of the first emails I ever sent was to a music buddy of mine in Nashville and I said something like, "Oh, I'm not really listening to music right now" and she was stunned silent.

I thought you sounded all bummed out in the first post so I'm glad to hear I read it all wrong. :up:

Scumbo, I can totally relate to what you're talking about. I've been feeling that way towards the music that I listen to for a couple of months now, leaning more towards movies as my main source of entertainment. I guess it just comes in waves or something. It's good to hear that at least you're doing well outside of that though.

My current situation kinda sorta relates to what Scumbo is going through. Maybe? I don't know, it's 3 AM. I'm going to rant.

I've always been behind on music. Old music, new music, indie, popular ... whatever. Just behind. My parents don't listen to music, so I had nothing to start with. It started with U2 because my mother had a greatest hits album. I worked my way from there. Then I signed up here, basically just as a U2 and Springsteen fan. That was it. Everything I learned about music has come from here. I had no knowledge, nothing. Everything has been from here. And I was desperate to learn as much as I could as fast as I could. Beginning last year, I just tried to expand my horizons. I'd listen to an album once, and check it off the list. I kept doing this and had a lot of fun getting to know some new stuff. Most of it was great, because I was getting recommendations from all of you. And you all get it.

Then, at some point probably two or three months ago, I just stopped having the desire to listen to new things. I guess I realized I had a lot of stuff already and had only listened to quite a bit of it once. So, recently I've just been listening to stuff I already have over and over again, especially The National, Pavement, TV on the Radio, Pixies, and Elbow. Just over and over again, learning to love more and more of it. There will probably come a time when I wish to expand again. I will wait for it.

My other thing is that I've become almost too indie. I want to start listening to stuff most of my peers listen to, at least to be familiar with it. I acquired a couple Blink-182 albums and a Third Eye Blind album, just so I'd be familiar with that stuff.

As an addition to what I just wrote above, I'd like to say that recently I'm starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with me music wise. I seem to not like any of the same songs, bands, or albums as everyone else, so I pretty much can't talk about music with anyone. If I do like them, I either like them far more than other fans, or far less than other fans, and for some reason that ends up bothering me to the point that I feel like I'm being negative about bands I love.

Similarly, I'm getting next to no enjoyment out of new music. There are a number of great albums that have come out in the past few months, and I never want to listen to them. It's seriously starting to mess with my head, when bands I like release new albums, I almost don't even want to go buy them, as I'm paranoid that I just won't like it.

In general, I kinda feel like I'm sick of music. I didn't listen to a single song over the entire last weekend. Nothing. Not one song. I didn't even notice that until Monday when I looked on Last FM. It's freaking me out, as there's never been a point in my life where I've felt like I was losing enjoyment in music, but I'm starting to think that's what's happening. Every time I go for a run, I stand there and scroll through my iPod for 15 minutes and I can't find a single thing I actually want to listen to while running. What the hell is going on with me?! The saddest thing is that I almost feel like if I'm not interested in music, I sorta have no idea who the hell I really am. If you suddenly don't care about something that's defined you for years and years, where does that leave you?

:huh:

I hear what you are saying. Before I discovered B&C I had got into a rut and there were 5 or 6 artists I listened to – that was it and I had no interest in expanding my horizons. Over the last couple of years I have gone crazy listening to new music all over the place and I'm kind of getting burnt out. I don't listen to half as much music as you seem to so I can only imagine what it must be like for you.

Your best course of action is to take a break and just listen to what you have. I have discovered that I don’t have to buy every new CD as soon as it comes out. I can wait – it will still be there in a couple of weeks or months or whatever. This may sound terrible as well but have you considered getting rid of some of your music collection? Hear me out before you get on a plane to Canada to beat me. I sold about 100 CDs a couple of years back of a lot of the older stuff I used to listen to and have no real interest for anymore and it felt kind of liberating...

I've heard good things about that place.

And bad things.

I agree with that advice. I used to be a CD collector for the sake of being a collector. Now I only want stuff I actually listen to, although there will always be some artists who I collect even when I don't like a CD. So I get rid of CDs all the time - and books, and clothes, etc. I don't like having a lot of stuff of any kind.

I thought you sounded all bummed out in the first post so I'm glad to hear I read it all wrong. :up:

Ditto that!

Everything I learned about music has come from here. I had no knowledge, nothing.

My other thing is that I've become almost too indie. I want to start listening to stuff most of my peers listen to, at least to be familiar with it. I acquired a couple Blink-182 albums and a Third Eye Blind album, just so I'd be familiar with that stuff.

Wow, I had no idea you were such a musical newbie when you signed up here! That's actually really kind of amazing how much you've grown (for lack of a better word) in that area just from this place.

I know what you mean about wanting to be familiar with what the outside world is listening to. I'll tune into the radio now and again to catch the songs I hear mentioned in conversation or online that I haven't heard. Stuff like Lil Wayne or whatever. Most of what I hear, I'm not thrilled with, but I like to feel like I have at least some semblance of having my finger on the mainstream pulse.

I used to pride myself on knowing tons about current music - when I worked for a year at a mall music store in my hometown after college, I was the go-to contact for people at the other music stores to ask "Who sings that one song ..." That was fun.

In the last ten years or so, I've lost that, I think because I have such little interest in hip hop, which has gotten so popular. Oh well.

I've heard good things about that place.

Me, too. Perez got punched there, so Toronto is a-ok in my book.

I agree with that advice. I used to be a CD collector for the sake of being a collector. Now I only want stuff I actually listen to, although there will always be some artists who I collect even when I don't like a CD. So I get rid of CDs all the time - and books, and clothes, etc. I don't like having a lot of stuff of any kind.

I've waffled between being a collector and trying to whittle it down. Over the years I've collected a lot of CDs, sold a lot of ones I'd lost interest in, and now am back to collecting.

I'm a lot more selective now about what I'll get rid of, after too many instances of realizing I should have kept x CD because now I like it again and having to go out and buy another (used) copy.

I've gotten much better with buying books, though. I've whittled down my bookshelves quite a bit in the past five years or so, and my rampant splurges at Half Price Books have dwindled to maybe one trip per year.

I'd rather have CDs be my big collection item, although I do still have a lot of books.

Books are always a problem for me because I've gotten them for free for most of my adult life through work. I've moved too much to hold on to stuff. But I, too, am more selective in what CDs I buy and get rid of. Books I just have to keep giving away or donating to libraries. I just don't have room.

Does anyone like the band Gossip? I've heard a few songs off their new album and am really excited to buy it ... assuming I can figure out when it comes out.

I saw a listing for a "digital release" on 6/23, and I see import versions listed on Amazon, but I refuse to believe the plain old CD isn't available (or isn't going to be) in the US.

I caught some of their set when they played with Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem, and while Beth Ditto seemed really shrieky live, I dug the music. On record, she's more tolerable, and I like them a lot.

Wow, I had no idea you were such a musical newbie when you signed up here! That's actually really kind of amazing how much you've grown (for lack of a better word) in that area just from this place.

I know what you mean about wanting to be familiar with what the outside world is listening to. I'll tune into the radio now and again to catch the songs I hear mentioned in conversation or online that I haven't heard. Stuff like Lil Wayne or whatever. Most of what I hear, I'm not thrilled with, but I like to feel like I have at least some semblance of having my finger on the mainstream pulse.

I used to pride myself on knowing tons about current music - when I worked for a year at a mall music store in my hometown after college, I was the go-to contact for people at the other music stores to ask "Who sings that one song ..." That was fun.

In the last ten years or so, I've lost that, I think because I have such little interest in hip hop, which has gotten so popular. Oh well.

I had three bands I listened to: U2, Bruce Springsteen, and Franz Ferdinand, who I only got into because I dug their track "Take Me Out" after I heard it on Madden 2005. That was it. I had no other bands' albums. I didn't use iTunes because I had no iPod.

It is kind of remarkable, though I still feel way behind.

The sad part is that NSW is spending all this time and effort avoiding the setlist stuff, but as soon as he gets to the stadium, everyone will be talking about it. There's no way he can avoid it.

Unless he speaks all those crazy Eurotrash languages, he'll probably be fine.

But yes, I agree that it's sad he's avoiding the forum for that.

Somehow I doubt he'd mind hearing some talk about the songs a mere hour or so before the show starts. And it's not like people around him at the show are going to know the exact setlist of the very first show.

Cori - I show the Gossip CD being available as an import, due approx. next week. Just in case you wanted to know. PM me for more info if you need it :)

Enjoyed the spoiler info first thing this morning :drool:

I can't make out a damn thing in that clip. Someone point me to a specific moment in the video where I might recognize some semblance of the song that I know

0:27 - "Or disappear into the sea."

Follow it from there.

Kilmer returns!

Anyway, I was chatting it up with NSW the other night, and tried very hard to avoid setlist spoilers. I only told him that he would shit his pants if he knew what they were doing.

Now he's going to think it's
A Sort of Homecoming!

At least he only has 5 days left to wait it out.

Anyway, I was chatting it up with NSW the other night, and tried very hard to avoid setlist spoilers. I only told him that he would shit his pants if he knew what they were doing.

Knowing his bowel control issues, he'll probably shit his pants regardless of what is played.

Oh, one of the robots in Transformers is incontinent as well. I feel that warrants mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom