Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obviously this is before Tedder/Epworth got their hands on it.

Thanks. I like it. The synths in the album version never bothered me as much as they did you, but I like the added guitar parts in this version a lot. Kind of reminds me of the early BBC version of Electrical Storm that has additional guitar parts in it that didn't make the final cut.

Also noticed the different lyrics in the second half of the chorus:

every dog on the streets
knows we got a hunger to feed
in between the night and its need
we go chasing every breaking wave

Kind of like that better.

Any idea how this version got to see the light of day? Or is like Mercy where nobody knows?

My top 5 would be

No Line On The Horizon

When I Look At The World

City Of Blinding Lights

Cedarwood Road

Electrical Storm

I tried compiling what I consider to be their Top 5 post-2000 songs.

In no particular order:

Invisible
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless
The Troubles
Moment of Surrender

For me it's probably:

Beautiful Day
California
Vertigo
Invisible
Moment Of Surrender

But that could change from hour to hour. Being Born without Fez would be on the list. The Blackout could wind up on the list at some point in the future. Songs of Innocence is my favorite post-POP album.

So...they recorded the Sao Paulo JT30 shows, right? Does that mean there's going to be a blu-ray? I don't see any announcements anywhere. Probably not going until next year, huh?

For me it's probably:

Beautiful Day
California
Vertigo
Invisible
Moment Of Surrender

But that could change from hour to hour. Being Born without Fez would be on the list. The Blackout could wind up on the list at some point in the future. Songs of Innocence is my favorite post-POP album.

Don't see why Fez makes you drop Being Born.

I can't get it down to five, because I like more of their 21st century output than most, but Fez-BB would almost certainly be in it.

Don't see why Fez makes you drop Being Born.

I can't get it down to five, because I like more of their 21st century output than most, but Fez-BB would almost certainly be in it.

Because I think once it kicks in it's one of their best songs during this time period. But I do not like that first minute or so very much. Simple as that.

Kite
Mercy
Fez-Being Born

Really can't decide on the last one. Probably one of:
Cedars of Lebanon/Moment of Surrender/Walk On/Raised By Wolves

Mercy (not the live version)
Fez-Being Born
Moment of Surrender
Stateless or The Troubles

5 songs for a 17-year period is tough.

Mercy (studio)
MOS
Reach Around
No Line
Troubles

Pre-SOI I guess I would have had Walk On and COBL on there but they've lost their lustre a bit and I'm a little sick of 2000s stuff emulating the "classic" U2 sound.

Like Laz said, top 5 for 17 years is hard. So I divided it into two eras and did a top 10 for each.

ATYCLB/HTDAAB

Stateless
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
Wild Honey(I know, you think I'm nuts)
When I Look At The World
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
A Man And A Woman
Mercy

Honorable mentions: Electrical Storm, Vertigo/Native Son, COBL, Fast Cars, Elevation, Stuck In A Moment

NLOTH/SOI

No Line On The Horizon
Moment Of Surrender
Fez-Being Born
California
Iris
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
The Troubles
The Crystal Ballroom

Honorable mentions: White As Snow, Winter, The Miracle, EBW, Reach, Invisible

Something like that.

Looking at the SOI artwork, I'm struck by how much Eli looks just like his father when he wasn't much older...

M_U2SongsofExperience630_110117.jpg

93659deb6ae0967d06b54477af78efed--u-october-bono-u.jpg

Like Laz said, top 5 for 17 years is hard. So I divided it into two eras and did a top 10 for each.

ATYCLB/HTDAAB

Stateless
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
Wild Honey(I know, you think I'm nuts)
When I Look At The World
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
A Man And A Woman
Mercy

Honorable mentions: Electrical Storm, Vertigo/Native Son, COBL, Fast Cars, Elevation, Stuck In A Moment

NLOTH/SOI

No Line On The Horizon
Moment Of Surrender
Fez-Being Born
California
Iris
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
The Troubles
The Crystal Ballroom

Honorable mentions: White As Snow, Winter, The Miracle, EBW, Reach, Invisible

Something like that.

You basically named over half the songs from each era. :|

This was my top 10 from the rank the songs from 2000 on thread

1 City Of Blinding Lights

2 The Troubles

3 Beautiful Day

4 Walk On

5 Kite

6 Moment Of Surrender

7 Miracle Drug

8bSometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

9 No Line On The Horizon

10 Cedarwood Road
I guess this original post was only album tracks...

I'd definitely have to include Invisible, Crystal Ballroom and Xanax and Wine to my list.

You basically named over half the songs from each era. :|
My point was that, from my perspective, there aren't that many songs that I would consider some of their best work. Some decent, even good songs, but nothing much post 2000 that stands up with the rest of their catalog.

I might add Mercy, Kite and Fez to my list.

And the best run of songs since Pop — and it's not even close — is the second half of SOI.

If we get one or two songs that can be added to the best of the 2000s then it'll be a success for them at this point.

My point was that, from my perspective, there aren't that many songs that I would consider some of their best work. Some decent, even good songs, but nothing much post 2000 that stands up with the rest of their catalog.

I might add Mercy, Kite and Fez to my list.

And the best run of songs since Pop — and it's not even close — is the second half of SOI.

If we get one or two songs that can be added to the best of the 2000s then it'll be a success for them at this point.

I totally get that. I posted this in the Songs Of Experience thread in the other section of the forum:

Basically the band was at it's creative peak from 1980-1995 and since then they've been trying to be their commercial peak. I basically consider U2 from Pop to now a different band than U2 from Boy to Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.

I enjoy both U2s. One is a nice fun band and the other is one of the best bands of all time. The trick is to mentally separate them. In my opinion.

I think it's amazing that an artist is putting out something that I even like a little bit when they've been putting stuff out for the better part of four decades. Not sure if there's any other artist like that for me.

Back
Top Bottom