Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since my excitement has died down (I'm partially regretting resubscribing to the website, especially if that $50 is only good towards 2 tickets), .

I renewed early yesterday. Figured the $40 was a reasonable investment, its an extra 20 bucks a tickets, and GA tix for arena shows in high demand cities are tough. So as long as the presale bears fruit I have no issue with the subscription cost. I expect the show to be worth seeing regardless of the quality of the new album, but hopefully the album does have a couple of standout tunes that get played and played well.

At least we'll get a new U Talkin' ep out of this catastrophe.

Last edited:
I renewed early yesterday. Figured the $40 was a reasonable investment, its an extra 20 bucks a tickets, and GA tix for arena shows in high demand cities are tough. So as long as the presale bears fruit I have no issue with the subscription cost. I expect the show to be worth seeing regardless of the quality of the new album, but hopefully the album does have a couple of standout tunes that get played and played well.

Yeah, I could be optimistic. Of course, most of the standout tunes from the last albums were rarely (or never) played: Reach Around, Troubles, Sleep, California. Deciding that two ballads needed to be singles really torpedoed everything. EBW was one thing, but SFS should have remained a deep cut.

Last edited:
Yeah, I could be optimistic. Of course, most of the standout tunes from the last albums were rarely (or never) played: Reach Around, Troubles, Sleep, California. Deciding that two ballads needed to be singles really torpedoed everything. EBW was one thing, but SFS should have remained a deep cut.

Or they could've just released the album version of EBW as a single. But I agree, their single choices were bad. They haven't really gotten it right single-wise since Bomb.

Surprised to see you mention Sleep there. I love it and would have loved to see it live, but you were always the one saying they shouldn't try that one because they wouldn't be able to replicate those atmospherics in the live setting.

Maybe this has already been mentioned in The Other Place. My U2.com subscription expires on Jan. 6, 2018, but they are telling me that in order to be considered a "Verified Fan", I have to link up my Ticketmaster account AND renew my subscription.

How is that right? The presale is happening within my one-year subscription, so why should I have to shell out another $50 to renew it 2 months early? I mean, I understand why they're doing it, because I wasn't going to renew in January knowing that I already got my tickets for next year's tour. But it still really stinks and I hate it.

Frankly, I think the people who can't acknowledge this trajectory and still want to put a happy face on everything come off like Pollyannas.

This isn't exactly me, as I acknowledge the trajectory .... but I'm still glad for new music and have liked what I've heard so far.

Here's where I stand with U2 these days:

Unless they change their attitude/approach regarding new music, I don't think we'll see anything we could all comfortably call "great" from them again. But you know what? I'm okay with that. It doesn't frustrate me as much as it does others (I mean, it does a *little* - they're such a frustrating bunch of chuckleheads). They've given us a ton of great stuff; everything else is just gravy at this point.

As long as I like the new stuff a reasonable amount, I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised by hidden gems on the album. That's how SOI rolled with me, and I fully expect SOE to be the same way.

I have to step back from the forum or social media once in a while when a stream of (often hyperbolic) negativity gets to be a drag, but that's on me, not someone else's opinions.

Considering how much I loved the I&E tour, I'm looking forward to this one as well. hoping for PNW dates when a second US leg is announced.

This isn't exactly me, as I acknowledge the trajectory .... but I'm still glad for new music and have liked what I've heard so far.

Here's where I stand with U2 these days:

Unless they change their attitude/approach regarding new music, I don't think we'll see anything we could all comfortably call "great" from them again. But you know what? I'm okay with that. It doesn't frustrate me as much as it does others (I mean, it does a *little* - they're such a frustrating bunch of chuckleheads). They've given us a ton of great stuff; everything else is just gravy at this point.

As long as I like the new stuff a reasonable amount, I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised by hidden gems on the album. That's how SOI rolled with me, and I fully expect SOE to be the same way.

I have to step back from the forum or social media once in a while when a stream of (often hyperbolic) negativity gets to be a drag, but that's on me, not someone else's opinions.

Considering how much I loved the I&E tour, I'm looking forward to this one as well. hoping for PNW dates when a second US leg is announced.
:up:

I am hopeful that they are still as bad at picking singles as they have been the last few times out, and there will be some better songs on the album.

Or they could've just released the album version of EBW as a single. But I agree, their single choices were bad. They haven't really gotten it right single-wise since Bomb.

Surprised to see you mention Sleep there. I love it and would have loved to see it live, but you were always the one saying they shouldn't try that one because they wouldn't be able to replicate those atmospherics in the live setting.

Right, I don't think Sleep should have been part of the live set, just pointing out the irony that all my fav tracks were "forgotten" ones.

But it raises the question that we've discussed before: how many of the SOI songs are likely to return? Other than EBW, I don't see anything as being a lock. They're not going to reuse the video content from SFS or Cedarwood, so do they even come back at all? And similar to Boots, The Miracle was not some huge hit that is essential to retain. There aren't any other singles.

Because of the tour's conceptual link between the albums, they can't really ignore it like they did with No Line last time around (was a single song from it played on i+e?). It was suggested elsewhere that they could perform a blend of American Soul and Volcano, which would be fine by me. And supposedly there are other song connections/reprisals that may see us getting other mashups.

Obviously I'm hoping they give a previously-forgotten SOI song a chance, particularly Reach Around or The Troubles. It's not likely, but not impossible either.

Last edited:
I am hopeful that they are still as bad at picking singles as they have been the last few times out, and there will be some better songs on the album.
I think this is a given.

When was the last time the first single was the best song on the album? You can argue All That You Can't Leave Behind I suppose... but beyond that, you probably have to go back to Joshua Tree (and even that's debatable, but it's a good debate).

Vertigo was the right pick, but I don't know many who'd say it's the best song on the album.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the best song on the album, it just needs to be a good song that is at least somewhat representative of what the album as a whole was about.

New Year's Day
Pride
WOWY
Desire
The Fly
Numb
Discotheque
BD
Vertigo

With the exception of maybe Numb and Discotheque, they picked great every time from War through Bomb. I just don't understand what's happened since then.

I think this is a given.

When was the last time the first single was the best song on the album? You can argue All That You Can't Leave Behind I suppose... but beyond that, you probably have to go back to Joshua Tree (and even that's debatable, but it's a good debate).

Vertigo was the right pick, but I don't know many who'd say it's the best song on the album.

I agree with what you're saying, but "best song" and "lead single" are obviously two different things.

SOI and Miracle... yeah it could've had about three other songs, agreed. They tried to go manufactured.

NLOTH and Boots... almost the exact same shit as Miracle. So, clearly they didn't learn their lesson on SOI. But what's an attempt at a lead single on that album otherwise? Magnificent? It would flop just as hard. Crazy Tonight? Probably flop even worse (though I suppose it's a better song and I would've preferred it over Boots as the lead single).

Boots and Miracle both aspire to be Vertigo. In that sense, those three lead singles really group together. But on Bomb, you're right that it was the right call, and absolutely not the bar song ok the album. All three of these songs are stereotypical lead singles. Two of them just suck.

ATYCLB and BD were as textbook as they come. BD is the best song and best lead single on the album.

Pop fails to have a clearly identifiable lead single, hence why I'd say it's largely rejected by mainstream audiences as a "good" U2 album. Same deal wth Zooropa, but I feel it generally gets clumped into Achtung Baby. Sort of like R&H but with Joshua Tree (though Desire is obviously a lead subtle type song).

Anyways, excuse the long blabber of working backwards through U2 history. Just kept thinking and writing.

I think this is a given.

Surprised you omitted The Fly; very representative of the album (almost a mission statement) and there are many who would consider it the album's best.

I don't know about Numb, as it may have turned off a lot of less-adventurous listeners who still liked Achtung. But you can't lead with Stay as it's a bit of an outlier. I honestly feel like they could have released Lemon first, which is divisive but at least features Bono and while dancey still isn't as weird or jarring as Numb must have sounded.

Surprised you omitted The Fly; very representative of the album (almost a mission statement) and there are many who would consider it the album's best.

I don't know about Numb, as it may have turned off a lot of less-adventurous listeners who still liked Achtung. But you can't lead with Stay as it's a bit of an outlier. I honestly feel like they could have released Lemon first, which is divisive but at least features Bono and while dancey still isn't as weird or jarring as Numb must have sounded.
The Fly as the best song on the album is debatable. Not saying anyone who feels that way would be wrong, but it would hardly be the most common choice.

Maybe this has already been mentioned in The Other Place. My U2.com subscription expires on Jan. 6, 2018, but they are telling me that in order to be considered a "Verified Fan", I have to link up my Ticketmaster account AND renew my subscription.

How is that right? The presale is happening within my one-year subscription, so why should I have to shell out another $50 to renew it 2 months early? I mean, I understand why they're doing it, because I wasn't going to renew in January knowing that I already got my tickets for next year's tour. But it still really stinks and I hate it.
Yeah that's why I decided I'm just going to test my luck on the general sale.

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it for an American to acquire a GA ticket for a show in Europe? Contemplating only going to one show here and using my other slot to grab one in Paris maybe? Or are we even able to do a split like that?

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it for an American to acquire a GA ticket for a show in Europe? Contemplating only going to one show here and using my other slot to grab one in Paris maybe? Or are we even able to do a split like that?

In my experience, I failed to get any of the London shows on the release and had to go third party. Same deal with Amsterdam. Same deal with Barcelona (which I did not go to at all).

I would say it's equally as difficult to get the tickets on release, as resellers still flood the systems.

However, it's a lot easier to find and interact with other fans in Europe who will sell spares at face of near face value.

Because of the tour's conceptual link between the albums, they can't really ignore it like they did with No Line last time around (was a single song from it played on i+e?).

Literally one performance of Magnificent. That's it.

I've also been trying to pick what they'll keep from SOI and nothing seems obvious at all. Especially not with 13 new songs jostling for contention.

Probably means NLOTH will remain forgotten though. And, of course, Pop.

In my experience, I failed to get any of the London shows on the release and had to go third party. Same deal with Amsterdam. Same deal with Barcelona (which I did not go to at all).

I would say it's equally as difficult to get the tickets on release, as resellers still flood the systems.

However, it's a lot easier to find and interact with other fans in Europe who will sell spares at face of near face value.

Are you talking about general release, or fan club presale? Not sure how the codes work with the ticket companies abroad.

Literally one performance of Magnificent. That's it.

I've also been trying to pick what they'll keep from SOI and nothing seems obvious at all. Especially not with 13 new songs jostling for contention.

Probably means NLOTH will remain forgotten though. And, of course, Pop.
I would think they would have to have a couple of songs to tie it together. Maybe part of the first four, mercifully in place of Vertigo

Listened to Zooropa today (the benefit of increased U2 activity is always I listen to their music more), god I had forgotten how beautiful The First Time is. Stunning song.

Are you talking about general release, or fan club presale? Not sure how the codes work with the ticket companies abroad.

General release. I am not nor have ever been a fan club member, so I can't vouch for that experience at all. But I've bought tickets in the US and U.K. from Ticketmaster and have never in my life secured a GA (4x tried in the US, 2x in the U.K., 2x EU).

It's virtually the same mess. Some people get lucky, some don't.

I would think they would have to have a couple of songs to tie it together. Maybe part of the first four, mercifully in place of Vertigo

Oh yeah, I reckon there will be at least a couple of SOI songs, it's just a question of which. I suppose EBW is the most likely, but if the set already has enough ballads from SOE, I don't think it's a lock. No doubt it will be guided by which SOI songs make the most sense in whatever thematic arc they pursue. Raised By Wolves, for example, could stick around if it made sense as part of a political message - but without that, it's a goner.

Oh yeah, I reckon there will be at least a couple of SOI songs, it's just a question of which. I suppose EBW is the most likely, but if the set already has enough ballads from SOE, I don't think it's a lock. No doubt it will be guided by which SOI songs make the most sense in whatever thematic arc they pursue. Raised By Wolves, for example, could stick around if it made sense as part of a political message - but without that, it's a goner.
Iris and Cedarwood Road seem to be songs that could just fit in without necessarily being part of a theme

The fuckers better keep Cedarwood Road around for their Australian tour in, oh, 2029 or so. Badly want to see that one live.

I'm quite alarmed by reports that TWO of the album's songs are retakes of two songs from the previous album.

So what? Amnesiac only had 10 tracks and one of them was an alternate version of something on Kid A.

I don't know why this is being met with such resistance; we always knew these were companion albums, even if it wasn't made clear some of the material from one would be repurposed for the other. It's not like they put Always on No Line or something.

Because they were both the same song called Morning Bell? I'd have less of an issue with it they were called Volcano and Song for Someone (given we don't have much to go off here yet), but they're passing them off as different songs. It's stupid.

Not to mention Amnesiac was released nine months after Kid A. Experience, when it's released, will be three years and three months after Innocence.

Because they were both the same song called Morning Bell? I'd have less of an issue with it they were called Volcano and Song for Someone (given we don't have much to go off here yet), but they're passing them off as different songs. It's stupid.

Not to mention Amnesiac was released nine months after Kid A. Experience, when it's released, will be three years and three months after Innocence.
Would you have an issue if it was just a double, themed album that had a few songs with similar/identical elements?

They may be released 3 years apart but we knew it was being worked on the whole time. Again, it's part of the concept. Who cares what the songs are titled?

This is a tempest in a teapot and just reflective of people who are generally down on the band. If you didn't dislike the last album or the new songs we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Back
Top Bottom