Shuttlecock XVII - The Best Title That Ever Happened a Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be way more interesting to hear Bono use this album as an opportunity to address his life in the 90s. Because he was into some shit. That perspective would be way more interesting than him writing a bunch of corny shit about his wife that says nothing new and calling it "punk Motown."

yes. and the fact that TBT could easily have been on SOI. It's the same damn song as EBW in essence...

Why are they going to call it SOE again?

Not that I'm over the moon about The Blackout anyway, but I've only listened to it once because I have a feeling the final version we get could be very different from the version we have now. I don't want this to be another Every Breaking Wave situation where the live version towers over what we ended up with, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know why a bit of crowd noise has made anyone think that version of The Blackout is anything other than the album version.

Because they refuse to release it on any streaming services, suggesting to me that it's functioning as a teaser. Even if no significant changes are made, let's not forget what simple studio polish can do to a song.

The sound of crashing waves and people talking in Spanish convinced everyone that Miracle Drug was going to be a U2 classic.

Last edited:
It won't have the crowd noise and that will be the only difference. Anybody who expects otherwise is setting themselves up for disappointment.

It won't have the crowd noise and that will be the only difference. Anybody who expects otherwise is setting themselves up for disappointment.

To be fair, I think anyone expecting anything more than an extrememly average album at best is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Would absolutely love to be wrong about this

Well your sentiment only seems to apply to people who disliked SOI. That ain't everyone. I don't find it to be average, but rather a mostly subpar first half with a very exciting and pleasing second half. That may add up to "average" to you but to me it's a mixed bag. And that's what I'm expecting SOE to be.

I'm expecting a couple of songs I like but don't love, a majority to which I'm ambivalent but at the end of the day don't mind, and two or three that I really fucking hate.

I've already got one of each so far: The Blackout, Little Things, and Best Thing respectively.

IMG_9248.PNG

Heheh

Well your sentiment only seems to apply to people who disliked SOI. That ain't everyone. I don't find it to be average, but rather a mostly subpar first half with a very exciting and pleasing second half. That may add up to "average" to you but to me it's a mixed bag. And that's what I'm expecting SOE to be.

isn't a "mixed bag" pretty much the same thing as "average" though?

Isn't that version that's released live except for Bono? In which case the album version could in fact be fairly different.

isn't a "mixed bag" pretty much the same thing as "average" though?

Well, no. Which is why I tried to illustrate the difference. To me, ATYCLB and The Bomb are average because they're safe and don't take many chances. I don't strongly dislike any tracks on either but there's also not much that stands out. I'd rate most of the material around a 6 or 7.

With the following two albums, they took more chances from a writing and sonic perspective but second-guessed and compromised, leaving a mix of higher highs and lower lows, IMO. So there are songs I'd rate at 3 or 4 but then more that I'd throw 8-10 at.

So the average "score" might wind up roughly the same for all four albums but there's more to the story then that.

I think part of the reason is that there is a strong sense that we are moving into the twilight of U2's career here and people are starting to panic. Not so much about the music they are making currently but their legacy as artists. I've always felt that the post Pop neutering was another phase that U2 were going to shift from to something else but as the end seems to be getting closer this is becoming less possible. I don't really care at this point, I'm content with any new music for the most part but that isn't the case for some.

It's interesting to talk about legacy and how it can be affected. Is their legacy, if they quit now or in the near future, different than if they'd, say, called it quits right after ZooTV, going out at the top of their game in almost mythical fashion? Or, perhaps, quitting after Elevation when they had accomplished a successful resurgence in popularity?

Also, is there some kind of consensus that they won't be like the Stones, still doing this when they're 75?

Got in late to the show and missed the first half of Beck's set. Makes me really upset I missed the first half - cause what I caught was fantastic.

I've seen him twice for two wildly different shows. Both at festivals. The first one he was really glum, depressed, didn't crack a smile. Second one was electric, and he closed with Debra, which was incredible.

So fucking mad that we got Lumineers. Beck would have made it a double bill for mine.

Isn't that version that's released live except for Bono? In which case the album version could in fact be fairly different.

Well, that's what they did for the five takes when they filmed. I don't see any reason to believe what they put out is one of those takes rather than the actual studio version. Sounds to me like they just whacked in some crowd noise because, well, it's a live video. Wouldn't be the first band to do it.

I've gotta say, that was a helluva show. Band sounded really tight, Bono sounded strong after warming up, I thought the Joshua Tree songs were done real justice and sounded like there was some passion in them all.

Also, though I was never as apoplectic as some here about Best Thing, I was... pleasantly surprised by the performance - it sounded much better than I expected it to.

I've seen him twice for two wildly different shows. Both at festivals. The first one he was really glum, depressed, didn't crack a smile. Second one was electric, and he closed with Debra, which was incredible.

So fucking mad that we got Lumineers. Beck would have made it a double bill for mine.

I know he had some pretty bad back issues a few years ago that affected his performing. I think he got it resolved or at least under control by the time Morning Phase dropped, which led to the more fun, funky Beck returning.

I wasn't interested in Beck's new album because I hated that stupid-ass Wow song SO MUCH, but have heard a few more tracks and am now looking forward to a) seeing him; and b) the album.

I watched Tim's clip of Exit on YouTube today (can't tell if that's what Diemen linked above; it's not showing up for me on the app). Wow, great version, loved seeing Bono up close being super into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom