Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
half a mile? ballparking it off google maps it appears to be about 200-300 metres from the stadium at the most.

seems like a fairly reasonable place for a fairly unreasonable group of people to be unfairly unreasonable.

Last night I remembered how much I hate concerts at Metlife Stadium. The concert ended at 11:30. I got home at 1:30, on a weeknight, after two trains and two subways. Almost gave up on going tonight.

I loved the performance, though. The Little Things that Give You Away is a lovely song, and I like that slow crescendo. Pretty cool closer, in my opinion. I had seats last night, and it was very cool to watch the visuals from afar. It's a beautiful show. The colors and visuals are just great. The Streets intro remains the best part of this show. Red Hill Mining Town clicked a bit more than in Chicago for me. I still don't like the arrangement, and it takes forever to become interesting, but the last minute or two are pretty nice.

To the asshole who booed the Syrian refugee in the video (Trump's America, y'all): fuck you.

Oh, and I'm a bit tired of Bono's infatuation with America, which goes overboard in this show.

Oh, and I'm a bit tired of Bono's infatuation with America, which goes overboard in this show.

"FREEEEDOM! AMERICA! WE LOVE YOU AMERICA! FREEEEEDDDDOOOOOOMMMM!!!!"

Miss Sarajevo was better when Bono snippeted more of The New Colossus rather than giving America an awkward blowjob.

RIP, A Sort of Homecoming. We hardly knew you.

I never thought I would be disappointed hearing the bells in the beginning of Bad, but yeah.

I'm so baffled. They even soundchecked it! I'll be pretty fucking devastated if they don't play it in Europe. Outside of JT it's the only thing in the set that I'm really keen to hear. Obviously I love IWF, NYD, and Bad, but I've heard those often so it's not such a big deal any more. And most of the rest is a big ugh.

I was hugely disappointed at its disappearance last night, having read the soundcheck rumours. This band is infuriating at times.

The long NYD version in this tour is great, though. The maybe the time is right/maybe tonight verse is an underrated gem.

Laz was saying that the more you look at it we were really lucky to go early on in the tour. My only regret is that I just can't really recall A Sort of Homecoming strongly enough. We were so far away and that b-stage makes it hard to get fully engaged unless you're up close. I recall going nuts but I was devastated when I was up close night two and they didn't play it, cos I almost felt like I'd never heard it :(

But all things considered I was very lucky.

Even more things considered, the show's amazing as it is and I'm not complaining.

I was a couple heads back from the rail for ASOH and had a decent view of the b stage. Pretty remarkable experience. I could hardly contain my emotion for those five minutes and wasn't overly interested in trying. Arguably the defining band of my childhood and adolescence broke out one of their best songs for only the fourth or fifth time in decades and I was only a couple dozen feet away to see it. It was very special.

Even setting aside the novelty of the situation, it was an amazing, anthemic performance. Edge's voice was in rare form.

Last edited:
On the scale of stupid Cobbler statements, this one is up there. Maybe you don't have an adequate understanding of alcohol addiction and sobriety. Not sure. But I'm blown away by how dumb this comment is. You're better than that.

This is a classic example of the internet not being able to portray tone. Good on him and his sobriety. You and I have always got on well, Bomac. This is an overreaction and the fact that you would think that I'm an insensitive arsehole upsets me a bit. Clearly a joke. Anyone being sober for many years is a legend and deserving of a huge pat on the back, but I'm clearly joking.

I'm so glad I saw ASOH once, having missed it the following three shows. Wish I could recall it a bit better. Seeing it the first/only time was a bit of a blur but I assumed I'd be able to take in the whole spectacle a bit better later on given it hadn't missed a show to that point.

I haven't had any alcohol for 5+ years easily. Sometimes social situations feel a bit like Wake in Fright but I don't let it bother me.

This is a classic example of the internet not being able to portray tone. Good on him and his sobriety. You and I have always got on well, Bomac. This is an overreaction and the fact that you would think that I'm an insensitive arsehole upsets me a bit. Clearly a joke. Anyone being sober for many years is a legend and deserving of a huge pat on the back, but I'm clearly joking.
That's fair. All good ?

Imperor had a surge of nostalgia the other day and was kind enough to remind me of this oldie from 8(!) years ago, when Shuttlecock lyrics took a brief detour from Lance's Mom and badminton into Shuttlecrab (inspired by the design of the 360 stage). In addition to Scuttling To Stand Still, this was another entry that I had totally forgotten about:

CRABBYFACE

Watching your bright red shell
In the fishtank
I've seen it so many times
I feel like you must be my next meal
You're looking ripe, so ripe, oh my
Dressed up with some parsley, oh
Crabbyface, crabbyface
Slow down child, let's get you on my plate
Crabbyface, Crabbyface
Crustacean with natural grace
How could seafood be so kind
To an culinary guy?

Coming home late at night
To finish you off
Checking out leftovers
I've microwaves on my side
Turning around and around
With the time and power
Under my control, go
Round and around, heating up
Dressed up with some parsley

Crabbyface, crabbyface
Tinfoil wrapped and a plastic case
Crabbyface, crabbyface
Butter sauce girl won't you give me a taste
To an culinary guy?

Do do do do do do do do do...do do...
Do do do do do do do do do...do do...

Crabbyface, crabbyface
Slow down child, let's get you on my plate
Crabbyface, crabbyface
Lift the lid, there's a net in the chase
Crabbyface, crabbyface
You're everywhere child
Meat all over the place
Crabbyface, crabbyface
You're coming to me from deep-blue space
to an culinary guy?

The possibility that we will have SOE in less than 6 months is exciting not just for new music, but also we get to Shuttlecock a whole new set of songs.

Last edited:
The possibility that we will have SOE in less than 6 months is exciting not just for new music, but also we get to Shuttlecock a whole new set of songs.

Did any of the SOI tracks get the treatment? They must have. "Raised By Whores" rings a bell. I don't even remember if the album even got officially Cockified. Sons Of Insolence? I'm drawing a blank. Raised

Did any of the SOI tracks get the treatment? They must have. "Raised By Whores" rings a bell. I don't even remember if the album even got officially Cockified. Sons Of Insolence? I'm drawing a blank. Raised

Well, I know you guys were referring to This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now as 'Reach Around' at one point.

We did the whole album

I even did lyrics for Reach Around and Peef if I recall did lyrics for another song.

Let me see if I can dig the thread up...

Haha, I thought Volcano was the best track at one point. My rankings have changed a lot.

Volcano 8.5/10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight 8.5/10
Iris 8/10
Raised By Wolves 8/10
Cedarwood Road 8/10
The Troubles 7.5/10
Every Breaking Wave 7/10
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now 7/10
Song for Someone 6.5/10
California 6/10
The Miracle 5.5/10

In general, the album has dropped in my estimation to the point that I consider it perhaps my least favorite overall, but that track has perhaps dropped the hardest. Also, the outright loathing of California is pretty funny. It's a really lame track but, to me, it's one of the only tracks that's got a chorus up to U2's established standards of catchiness. It has youthful energy. I'd take it over Krazy Tonite, Song for Someone or any number of corny pop songs they've written lately. "I've seen for myself, there's no end to grief/That's how I know/And why I need to know/That there is no end to love" is one of my favorite Bono lyrics in a while, even though it's yet another U2 lyric with "love" slathered all over it.

Updated rankings:

Sleep Like a Baby Tonight 8/10
The Troubles 8/10
Raised by Wolves 7.5/10
Iris 7.5/10
California 7/10
Volcano 7/10
Reach Around 7/10
Cedarwood Road 6.5/10
Every Breaking Wave 6.5/10
The Miracle 6/10
Song for Someone 5/10

It takes a while for the album to get going and even then it doesn't really hit particularly impressive highs. I would have given out a couple 9s and a 10 on NLOTH. There's nothing totally incompetent happening here, but very little that's inspiring coming from one of my favorite bands of all time. I can see why a fan would defend it because it's so solid and well produced, but I don't know what there is to come back to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom