Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That makes sense.

A somewhat desperate move, but at least they held out longer than most artists their age.

I don't see how it's desperate. If it means they finally play Exit again, and IGC full-band electric again, let alone give RHMT it's debut, I'll call it a welcome development.

Album came out in March, so I'm guessing we get 5-10 JT anniversary shows in major US/European markets in March-April and then a formal leg of the I+E tour in the late summer/early fall.

March is just two months away. Don't big acts like this announce tour dates a bit earlier than that? I'm honestly not positive about this so correct me if I'm wrong. But it feels like that's maybe too soon if dates haven't even been announced/tickets sold.

I don't see how it's desperate. If it means they finally play Exit again, and IGC full-band electric again, let alone give RHMT it's debut, I'll call it a welcome development.

Desperate, as in knowing that your popularity is on the decline, and celebrating past glories in an attempt to drum up excitement and attention. And regardless of the artistic compromises the band may have made in the last 15 years, they've always put the new music front and center. Making JT the focus of any shows would be veering off that forward course, IMO.

Same, but for me it has to be Germany 1983, which I believe is on the Under a Blood Red Sky album. It's just perfect.

Last edited:
Given how I haven't had the slightest inclination to listen to Songs of Innocence since about November 2014 I would much rather hear JT in full than get a new album. :reject:

I am so so long past the days of my intense U2 fandom that even if 2017 U2 ends up being a lie about SoE and a handful of not-all-together exciting JT tribute shows I won't be so crushed. It's exciting news to me. Let's take what we can get, ?

:up: This pretty much sums up my feelings on this whole thing to a tee.
Them doing a short anniversary tour of The Joshua Tree is a whole lot better than them wasting away precious years working on, what's probably going to be, an average or sub-par album when they're in the twilight years of their career.

My caveat to that is that if they had the balls to just release music without worrying about it being popular they'd probably be putting out great music.

I agree, although I'm (finally) becoming done with analyzing and arguing every move (or non-move, which is more likely the case with them these days) the band does.

Anything else we get out of them at this point is gravy. Just don't embarrass yourselves, gents, and we're cool.

I think two and possibly three trips to the States this year will be enough. :lol:

I have a good feeling they're gonna play Womanfish x2 at Herring Island.

That'll be cool if they play the Two America's concept album in full.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It looks like my Shuttlecock.com subscription is still good until mid-February. I'm a little fed up with the band and have no intention of renewing this time around.

So here's the question: if a Rose Bowl show does indeed go on sale on January 17th as rumored, would I be better off using my pre-sale code for that show, or holding out in case tickets for an SOE tour also are released before my membership expires? I'm not up to date on what the theoretical time frame is.

Because I'd prefer to go to a show with more new music.

I'd doubt that any additional shows go on sale before mid Feb, so I'm guessing that your only shot to use that code would be for the rumored Rose Bowl show or another on the Joshua Tree show.

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds will provide support across Europe, with Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers and One Republic joining the tour through North America.

What.

The

Fuck.

I'm perfectly fine with OneRepublic opening the Miami show. Would have loved Noel Gallagher, though. Lucky Europeans.

The election was in November. What are the chances we even get Songs of Experience this year?

Well, when we came off the last tour, the Innocence and Experience indoor tour, we headed straight into finishing the second album of that set, Songs of Experience, which we were pretty much complete with after a couple of weeks of the final touches leading up to the end of the year. And then the election [happened] and suddenly the world changed. We just went, "Hold on a second – we've got to give ourselves a moment to think about this record and about how it relates to what's going on in the world." That's because it was written mostly, I mean, 80 percent of it was started before 2016, but most of it was written in the early part of 2016, and now, as I think you'd agree, the world is a different place.

So I missed that Shuttlecock confirmed they will be performing the album in full. Hot damn.

I have no presale code, so will have to hope I can score tickets off the general sale.

The election was in November. What are the chances we even get Songs of Experience this year?
I'm still optimistic they'll release it in the fall. Finish the tour in August, take a month off, release SoE and promote it. Then tour again in 2018. But, we all know that's too good to be true and they'll just do anniversary tours for the rest of their lives.

Back
Top Bottom