Shuttlecock XII - u wish Cobbler would Stay (Faraway, not Close!) from making threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly I'm just glad they didn't cut October or Zooropa since those were the only things holding that portion of the show together.

Shuttlecock XII - u wish Cobbler would Stay (Faraway, not Close!) from making...

While it was an odd decision to cut two rotational slots from the first Paris show - and it's good to see them back tonight - I have a broader complaint about the setlists for this tour so far. And it has nothing to do with not playing enough 90s material or playing too many warhorses or the setlists being too static or any of those common complaints.

I don't understand why they're not showcasing more of SOI. If you include the non-album tracks, there are fourteen songs in this pool. Half of them - The Miracle, EBW, SFS, Iris, RBW, Cedarwood, and Invisible - have been played at every one of the 68 shows played so far. The other half constitute a combined total of 22 performances - that's ten for Volcano, four for The Troubles, three for Lucifer's Hands, three for California, and two for The Crystal Ballroom. I'm not counting anything from the promo tour here, just I+E.

I just watched the last performance of the Troubles and it was so good. It's one of the more vocally naked songs you're likely to see Bono perform - as the band is kind of in the background and the crowd is staying appropriately quiet for a ballad like this - and he killed it(in the good way), imo. And Edge's extended solo was shades of ZooTV Edge for me. I just don't get why they would give up on it.

California and Volcano are single-ready, the band hasn't seemed to have any trouble with either when they have performed them, and the crowds don't seem to mind them, either. I can understand why the NLOTH material got cut back on 360, because I guess some of those songs legit weren't working live, but these songs went over just fine from what I can tell in the videos.

Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer's Hands are bonus tracks so it's not at all strange we only got them a handful of times. Although I'm still firmly in the camp that believes Ballroom should've been on the album proper and a single.

Reach and Sleep haven't been played at all. Didn't Edge say between legs that Reach would probably show up this leg? It hasn't yet and there's only a few shows left. When the album was first released, wasn't there some report that it was one of Bono's favorites? I don't understand why they wouldn't at least try it.

With Sleep, obviously it would be difficult to re-create that atmosphere in a live setting - although I dare say they did it with Love Is Blindness on ZooTV - so I can forgive this one, even though it's one of my favorite tracks on the record. I mean, if it's too hard to do it full-band, they could at least try to throw out an acoustic version that would piss half of you guys off.

Achtung Baby had ten tracks that were regulars or semi-regulars on ZooTV. Pop had nine tracks that were regulars or semi-regulars on Popmart. ATYCLB had eight tracks(if you count TGBHF on the first leg) that were regulars or semi-regulars on Elevation, and Wild Honey was played a few times as well. Bomb had eight tracks that were regulars or semi-regulars on Vertigo, plus Crumbs and Fast Cars got a handful of performances as well.

They're not playing as much of SOI as they normally play of the headlining album. I understand why NLOTH didn't have a big live output, but I don't understand why they're holding back on the SOI material.

And they're supposedly going to put SOE out in 2016? They're really going to incorporate a new batch of songs into the setlists when half of SOI has barely been touched as it is?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Was Electric Co. on a Blu-ray release already? Because that song is a much bigger monster on this tour and is even more worthy of posterity.

Come to think of it, it isn't. Chicago is only on DVD.

The first U2 blu-ray concert release that I'm aware of (besides R&H) is Rose Bowl. And that's probably the worst U2 performance released yet. Chicago has Bono pretending to be a cat or monkey or I don't know what, but Rose Bowl is poor end to end and contains the worst performance of WOWY I've ever heard. The fact that Breathe isn't on there makes it of even less historical interest.

That post is so on point, I don't think there's a single word of it I don't agree with.

I found one you don't agree with:

With Sleep, I mean, if it's too hard to do it full-band, they could at least try to throw out an acoustic version that would piss half of you guys off.
The correct word would be "all" or at very least "most". :wink:

If it was up to me they'd be playing like The Troubles, Sleep, Reach Around, Crystal Ballroom, maybe Cedarwood Road too, I guess, and then the rest of the set is filled with actual good songs. So I don't give too much of a shit. It is odd though and they continue to be infuriating.

Volcano seems like a terrible E-stage song that sounds thin in their live mix based on what I've seen/heard on videos, but maybe someone who has seen it live can shed some light.

Gloria really needs to end up on blu-ray after all these years. I think UABRS is still stuck on DVD. I hope they play it.
i fall down didn't even make it to the dvd. :grumpy:

not saying it's better or anything, just joining the bitchfest. clearly they need to perform all of their songs live and release the whole thing on blu-ray. (i'm only half-joking, it'd be kinda awesome as long as it was taken from boatloads of shows so bono didn't venture into kermit territory before they even finished boy)

Sleep is such a studio-crafted song that it would be pointless to perform live. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would think this has any place being at a concert, regardless of how much you may like it on the album. Not just sonically but the subject matter as well.

My top 5 from SOI:

2x never been played
2x played a few times each
1x played in a way I don't care for that much

All but 1 of the remaining songs have been played every show

Sleep is such a studio-crafted song that it would be pointless to perform live. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would think this has any place being at a concert, regardless of how much you may like it on the album. Not just sonically but the subject matter as well.

totally agreed.

I don't understand this argument. I mean, I get it for U2, the big-tent performer who has to please, I suppose, but most smaller bands are happy to play songs that might be "studio-crafted", whatever that means. I'd kill to see U2 pair it with Numb. Would be really cool. I'd happily take Sleep over any of the new songs they're currently playing.

Soooo, if the set list is back to the standard fare I am curious as to exactly what the hell happened yesterday then.

It literally makes no sense. The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to keep people energised and excited early in the show so it looks all hunky-dory on the DVD but that's such a poor reason it's not even worth thinking about.

And I'm #sorrynotsorry for the harsh vibes but you all got shows. We *might* get shows in 2017, so I think we can be forgiven for being a little snarkier. I'm sure I'd be puppies and rainbows if I'd just seen the show.

I don't understand this argument. I mean, I get it for U2, the big-tent performer who has to please, I suppose, but most smaller bands are happy to play songs that might be "studio-crafted", whatever that means. I'd kill to see U2 pair it with Numb. Would be really cool. I'd happily take Sleep over any of the new songs they're currently playing.

It's atmospheric and delicate and so precise and I don't think it would translate to an arena. It's as simple as that.

I like it more than half of the album, but I have no desire to see it performed.

It's atmospheric and delicate and so precise and I don't think it would translate to an arena. It's as simple as that.

I like it more than half of the album, but I have no desire to see it performed.

I understand where you're coming from - I said as much in my post - but I feel like the same thing could have been said of Love Is Blindness and they more than made that work.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

This is the U2 of 2015, so probably fair enough in regards to Sleep Like A Baby. But songs like Lemon were totally studio pieces too and they still managed to take them somewhere special live.

I would've said Lemon was not a particularly notable live track myself. It and Daddy's Gonna Pay were too reliant on backing tracks, though that Lemon/WOWY transition was effective.

Lemon was fantastic live. Yeah, it had backing tracks, but it had insanely good bass and Bono's voice at its absolute best.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress is another transformed beast live, less dependent on that ambient atmospheric texture and heavy on a rather menacing guitar tone.

Also Axver's post implied that Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car was not good and that implication can get absolutely fucked.

DADDYS GONNA PAY

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-12%20at%2010.34.37%20pm_zpsacwktxms.png

Daddy's Gonna Pay is one of Zooropa's least notable tracks and the live performances do not change my opinion of that.

Back
Top Bottom