Shuttlecock XII - u wish Cobbler would Stay (Faraway, not Close!) from making threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going to a U2 show that is recorded for release must be really annoying. That setlist today would frustrate me a great deal.

Not only that, but I guess they are likely to play the same set tomorrow.

Not likely that today is the only show being filmed. U2.com is having a contest to fly in one of the e-stage fans for the Saturday show. Sounds like the 14th is the main show they're recording, with footage from other Paris shows as need be.

Weird, crummy setlist, yes. That's about it for now.

If my favorite band were super-hippie alt. rock band or something that just can't play same setlist twice, I probably shouldn't have this problem......

If you're going to cut songs, U2, try not to cut the best ones.

If they don't play one of those three rotating early classics for the taping I'm going to be very, very disappointed.

And of course, I Will Follow is still there.

I'll be surprised and disappointed as well, but at the end of the day, I'll just shrug and roll my eyes and move on. They're a baffling bunch of dudes making baffling decisions for years.

It'll still really be fun to watch the HBO concert.

#pollyanna

Gloria really needs to end up on blu-ray after all these years. I think UABRS is still stuck on DVD. I hope they play it.

I just don't get why they wouldn't play Electric Co/OOC or Gloria for the people who have actually paid to see the show and just edit it out of the broadcast. :shrug:

Can we maybe hold on all the hand-wringing and rock-kicking until the other shows have passed? If they do the same thing at the next show, start your worry-engines.

Having been at the show tonight I'm asking for a refund. That's how pissed off I am.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm listening to U2 b-sides I haven't listening to in ages. Luminous Times has such a unique and epic sound. Boomerang II is weird and funky all in the same.

Both A+ songs. You can make a killer album of UF/JT era b-sides.

This is my playlist bringing together the best of the era's b-sides as an "album". It has some idiosyncratic inclusions/exclusions (I don't get the love for "Walk to the Water"), but it's a very enjoyable listen and shows just how deep the quality of U2's music ran at the time.

1. The Three Sunrises
2. Spanish Eyes
3. Boomerang II
4. Rise Up
5. Love Comes Tumbling
6. Luminous Times (Hold On to Love)
7. Rowena's Theme
8. Bass Trap
9. Race Against Time
10. Heroine
11. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come

I would without question take this over a number of the band's actual albums. The first half has some really excellent songs, while the second half is a very pleasant atmospheric experience.

And like all pre-lobotomised U2, those songs mentioned are both quite odd in a lot of ways. Thinking they have to play by the 'songwriting rulebook' has been the death of these guys.

And like all pre-lobotomised U2, those songs mentioned are both quite odd in a lot of ways. Thinking they have to play by the 'songwriting rulebook' has been the death of these guys.

you can blame Rick Rubin for that. Actually......i think you can blame him for making many amazing bands follow "classic songwriting" which made them soooooooooo boring. look at RHCP. or Metallica.

Yeah, Rick Rubin's a grade-A hack. But in U2's case they were already on that kool-aid, semi-independently, while still working with Eno/Lanois.

Yeah, Rick Rubin couldn't have had much of an influence or they wouldn't have parted ways with him so quickly.

The song they did together is a piece of shit, too.

Love Comes Tumbling is so good. It sounds not like anything else from that era.

Im talking about Rick because Bono mentioned couple times about him influencing them about song writing and it became about "songs" (whatever that means). I know the collaboration is short but his influence is immense among music industry, no doubt. I know Windows in the Sky isn't that good and all that but it's true that he's go-to guy when i comes to "refine" songs, i know bands produced by him gradually get boring and boring year by year.

The recent quote from Bono was, yeah, very much the whole 'Rick challenged us, and said McCartney has thousands of classic songs and what have you schlubs got, just a legendary and era defining career in the ninetes, what's that against a song you can strum round the campfire?'

And lo, the seed of Songs of Innocence was born, with a little extra help from Jimmy Iovine taking bono aside in his south of France pad and reminding him where he lives.

Can we maybe hold on all the hand-wringing and rock-kicking until the other shows have passed? If they do the same thing at the next show, start your worry-engines.
I'm a worrier, from way back. The worry-engine has been running for a long time. It's why my friends call me Whiskers.
Was Electric Co. on a Blu-ray release already? Because that song is a much bigger monster on this tour and is even more worthy of posterity.
Electric Co. is on Under a Blood Red Sky and Vertigo: Chicago, I couldn't tell you if either of those is Blu-ray though because I don't know the difference between Blu-ray and DVDs.
The recent quote from Bono was, yeah, very much the whole 'Rick challenged us, and said McCartney has thousands of classic songs and what have you schlubs got, just a legendary and era defining career in the ninetes, what's that against a song you can strum round the campfire?'

And lo, the seed of Songs of Innocence was born, with a little extra help from Jimmy Iovine taking bono aside in his south of France pad and reminding him where he lives.
U2 may be one of the worst bands ever in terms of "anecdotes from the recording studio."

I am a big U2 supporter in these parts but that shortened set list is pretty much indefensible - the Paris audience got short-changed and I'm failing to see why.

I mean if it was basically the same set list as all the previous ones (say, including Electric Co at #2 and I don't know, Desire/AOH on the e-stage) I would have no problems at all but that.... That was a rip-off plain and simple.

But yes, there are 2 more shows so I'm willing to hold final judgment until its all said and done.

Headache suggested that Bono's resting his voice for the later shows because it sounded poor on the recordings yesterday, but I fail to see how cutting two songs (and not really even two of the more difficult songs to sing) really makes all that much of an impact. It seems like a creative decision to try to shorten up the set for the recording.

Back
Top Bottom