Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whatever instrumental track was playing over the sound check sample of Zooropa was pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I can't believe I'm saying this, but YAWN if they're dragging Zooropa out again.

It was cool to hear it on 360, but play another fucking song from the album already.

EDIT: I didn't realize Europe didn't get to hear it on the last tour. So I'll retract that statement.

Last edited:
I'd kill for full Zooropa, but even a snippet of it after Bullet would be superior to that shithouse Hands transition.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but YAWN if they're dragging Zooropa out again.

It was cool to hear it on 360, but play another fucking song from the album already.

EDIT: I didn't realize Europe didn't get to hear it on the last tour. So I'll retract that statement.

Even if you're retracting it, that's a ridiculous statement to make about a massive fan favourite that's been performed only 31 times ever.

Even if you're retracting it, that's a ridiculous statement to make about a massive fan favourite that's been performed only 31 times ever.

My sentiment is more about that album (and Pop) being overlooked as a whole than that particular song getting played. Obviously I'd rather hear Zooropa than any of the basic shit from ATYCLB. But if they're only going to play one song from that album, I'd like to see Lemon or full-band Stay or even Numb get a chance.

If they were to dig a deep track out of the ground, "Some Days Are Better Than Others" would be fun for the e stage.
I think Numb, Wild Horses, and Arms Around The World will get played this tour.

Much as I'd like to hear a full band Stay, it's had a pretty good run over the years in somewhat neutered form - especially by the standards of non-Achtung nineties songs. But yeah Lemon and Numb would be very welcome additions to the set. It's crazy just how neglected Zooropa as an album is live. Apart from Passengers, no other album has fared so poorly. October, by comparison, is miles ahead for live representation.

(That said, although Pop easily beats Zooropa for total song performances, Zooropa beats Pop for how many tours it has contributed songs to - 4 to 3.)

Numb would be a decent intermission song in that it wouldn't make me feel bad that they didn't play the real thing.

Make the intermission song One. Everybody gets their singalong while U2 don't have to pretend to play it/care.

They're going to replace the Bullet/Hands section with a full band version of "God Bless The USA" by Lee Greenwood. Bono is gonna hold up an enormous American flag throughout the duration of the performance. The Europeans are just gonna have to deal with it.

They're going to replace the Bullet/Hands section with a full band version of "God Bless The USA" by Lee Greenwood. Bono is gonna hold up an enormous American flag throughout the duration of the performance. The Europeans are just gonna have to deal with it.

Ha!

Also, go to hell for getting that song stuck in my head.

The GA line in Torino, 2 hours before showtime:

COE363iWIAEo7J-.jpg:large

Kudos for them on the new Zooropa -> Streets, and linking it to the refugee crisis in Europe. So much more relevant and powerful than the RED stuff, and not the typical pandering.

This is as good a decision as they've taken in the last 15 years. I mean it. Great songs, great transition, great message.

Last edited:
I hadn't been following the rehearsals and had just heard the mention of Zooropa. But the way they made those lyrics meaningful to the current situation. Damn. It sounds so obvious now, but it's really well done. Haunting.

And I have no compass
And I have no map
And I have no reasons
No reasons to get back

And I have no religion
And I don't know what's what
And I don't know the limit
The limit of what we've got

zzzzzzZooropazzzzzzzz

Hopefully more changes are coming.

Did they play a longer version this time at least?

Longer than the 1993 versions, shorter than the 360 versions. It started with the I have no compass verse. It was just Edge on guitar and some synths, I think. But it worked really well, and the segue into Streets was the best since the Elevation tour.

Back
Top Bottom