Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry didn't use to suck this bad, I think. I remember some sort of global radio interview thing (well fucking JJJ broadcast it) when POP had just come out.

Larry said The Playboy Mansion was his favourite of the (then) new songs.

... I would suggest that's proof that Larry's opinions have always sucked.

Maybe one of us should step up to the plate and write the band a letter about their opinions. They might just not realize that just because they're in one of the biggest rock bands of all time doesn't give them the right to have whatever opinion they want about their own music.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Mate, please don't turn into a lame parody.

I've always thought shit like that was part of the joke though. Like, they're clearly over the top fan boys but they create their own version of it sortof.

I know someone who disses them and says they can't real fans because they call the band "the lads from Liverpool" - I mean, clearly, they're joking when they say that. Possibly not very funny, sure, but still, they're not serious.

I guess a notion that they necessarily have to have their facts straight all the time kinda puzzles me too. Like, is there a test to be a "real" U2 fan? Isn't that very label what we (in this thread especially) typically make fun of? They self-identify as massive fans and have devoted a crazy amount of time to discussing the band (however unfactually, unfunnily, whatever).

Just feel like it's pretty cool that two famous people have this same addiction as we do. :shrug:

Scott might be famous but I think it's a stretch to say that about Scott.

Maybe one of us should step up to the plate and write the band a letter about their opinions. They might just not realize that just because they're in one of the biggest rock bands of all time doesn't give them the right to have whatever opinion they want about their own music.

It is ridiculous that the band's opinions on their own music are so often presented as illegitimate. I mean, who really gives a fuck if Larry likes One?

Personally I think Shuttlecock is funnier than most of the schtick on U Talkin' U2.

I'm biased, of course.

Yes you are.
Some jokes on that U Talkin' U2 To Me were at least funny. The same can't be said for this thread since summer. 2009.

It is ridiculous that the band's opinions on their own music are so often presented as illegitimate. I mean, who really gives a fuck if Larry likes One?

Exactly. In fact, I think to suggest that any of our opinions are above U2's own opinions on their music is pretty ridiculous whether we agree with them or not.

Great example, Larry likes One. I know some people here absolutely hate the song. It's not my absolute favorite U2 song by any means but I also realize that if Larry still says it's in his top 3 it must have a sentimental meaning to the person who had a hand in creating the song and who are we to argue that?

Just had a nice lunch with Corianderstem. She even got to meet my mini me.

:)

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

Zooropa is a good U2 album to listen to while intoxicated. Has anyone else realized this?

Just had a nice lunch with Corianderstem. She even got to meet my mini me.

:)

I really hope you're referring to your kid.

lolllllzzzzz

I'm catching up on select threads after vacation and wish I'd read this first - just posted about our lunch in RMT.

That picture of you and your daughter in the car is the funniest thing I'd seen all week. I showed my friend and she was laughing about it hours later.

Was great to meet you! (And your totes adorbs kid.) :)

lolllllzzzzz

I'm catching up on select threads after vacation and wish I'd read this first - just posted about our lunch in RMT.

That picture of you and your daughter in the car is the funniest thing I'd seen all week. I showed my friend and she was laughing about it hours later.

Was great to meet you! (And your totes adorbs kid.) :)

Haha! I think I actually trended on Facebook for a while.

My daughter asked me when she gets to hang out with you again and if you can babysit her sometime. Like my answer to most of her questions, I said maybe. :D

Ha! Tell her I'll babysit the next time I'm in Wisconsin. ... knowing my record, that will be three years from now, and she'll be like "WTF dad, I don't know this weirdo."

Seen on Lansdowne St. (one of the sketchiest neighbourhoods in Toronto):

PyEQhYv.jpg

This might not be a new discovery to many, but since the thread was bumped I thought I'd mention:

Was watching a live clip of Invisible, and I really like Edge's brief backing vocal appearance on the chorus. All he does is sing last word of each line, "...will" and "...invisible", but he stretches them out longer than Bono and it really lifts the material even higher.

Check it out if you haven't noticed before.

Watching Under a Blood Red Sky right now...god damn Surrender gets me pumped up

Maybe it's the painkillers I'm on, but holy shit this is incredible, I got this thing pumping through surround speakers

For those not paying attention to Shuttlecock goings-on, there's a new Q interview being discussed where Larry is dropping some serious truth bombs, calling parts of the new album overcooked, admitting to the band second-guessing itself, and saying they'll never spend that long making an album again (which I guess becomes easier to say once you're in your mid-50s).

There are some artists who can't identify the problems that derail their efforts.

This band seems to be able to identify them, as well as the solutions, but can't seem to pull the trigger in joining the two together.

It's beyond frustrating.

I mean at least it's Larry saying it this time. That's impressive. I thought he'd be all for making it even more generic.

Maybe this means the set will change (we're back in only like 10 days!!!) somewhat but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom