Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can we talk more about the pre-Tedder/Epworth version of EBW more? Edge is doing some pretty lacerating stuff guitar-wise on the choruses and it's a lot less safer of a recording.

The verses are the same but I don't have a problem with them as they're effective without being over the top.

:up:

Can we talk more about the pre-Tedder/Epworth version of EBW more? Edge is doing some pretty lacerating stuff guitar-wise on the choruses and it's a lot less safer of a recording.

The verses are the same but I don't have a problem with them as they're effective without being over the top.

It's "interesting" but also a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like Edge's guitar work on the earlier version, it seems like they really took the "balls" out of it.

Never join fansites. it's a mistake to make once, but not twice. Put it this way, I'm not registering at atease. But on the other hand I'm not leaving here so.

I registered on two fansites (though only became a regular on one) and surprise surprise they're the two of the bands for which I probably have the most scorn now: U2 and Dream Theater.

That's probably a function of many things. Despite it all I don't have scorn for u2 (for their latterday cluelessness maybe), I probably have more respect for them than some of the sycophantic fanboys in EYKIW. What I do have is discernment.

Most fansites drive their most erudite commenters away (I absolutely do not count myself in such company) out of sheer frustration, and what you're left with is, what you're left with.

In general I'm now just suspicious of people who are excessively fanatical about anything. Such people tend to have very limited life experiences and overbearing personalities - and I absolutely count my teenage self as one of those (and maybe myself now, whatever).

I dunno. When I joined I was the most fierce defender of 00s U2 this forum has ever known. There was a time when I made embarrassing threads defending HTDAAB and then made threads knocking AB in the same week. For me I'm not sure it's so much about this forum or the internet making me cynical so much as it is my tastes changing :shrug:

In general I'm now just suspicious of people who are excessively fanatical about anything. Such people tend to have very limited life experiences and overbearing personalities - and I absolutely count my teenage self as one of those (and maybe myself now, whatever).

I can think of two prominent examples of such fanaticism in EYKIW:

There was someone claiming to have listened to the alt version of No Line on the Horizon something like 1000 times in a month or some outrageous shit like that.

There was a tweet from someone claiming to be Edge's second cousin or something about a new album release date. Some people were taking shots at this person, until another poster busted in and said something like "lay off guys, it's common knowledge this person has a mental disability." I'm thinking, in what world is the mental health of a band member's extended family "common knowledge"?

I'm so happy for the Scotts, two little boys with big boy dreams who finally got to sit down with Adam Claytwothousandpounds and the lovable lads from Liverpool to talk U2 to you. Can't wait to hear about when Bonobos first heard of U2.

I'm not saying by any means that it's all negative but I do believe that the culture here does influence people to speak more negatively than they would if they hadn't visited the site.
Agreed. It's inevitable really.

And as I'm typing this I'm listening to Don't Believe the Hype.

Guys, listen to the latest podcast of U Talkin U2 to Me. Seriously.

I'm listening to it now, good stuff, they really prattle on for the first 1/2 hour or so before the interview starts but its good once it gets going...

http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/u2-is-on-u-talkin-u2-to-me-today.html

I'm so happy for the Scotts, two little boys with big boy dreams who finally got to sit down with Adam Claytwothousandpounds and the lovable lads from Liverpool to talk U2 to you. Can't wait to hear about when Bonobos first heard of U2.

Wow, major score for them. Honestly, I am alternately entertained and annoyed by the podcast; they're funny, sharp guys, but some of their staple catchphrases are stale and just not humorous to me.

Also, some of their tastes regarding the band's music are questionable.

I dunno. When I joined I was the most fierce defender of 00s U2 this forum has ever known. There was a time when I made embarrassing threads defending HTDAAB and then made threads knocking AB in the same week. For me I'm not sure it's so much about this forum or the internet making me cynical so much as it is my tastes changing :shrug:

Agreed that it's part of it but at the same time I recently revisited HTDAAB and enjoyed it a lot. Didn't think there was a weak song. And I think my mindset had a lot to do with it. No longer was I thinking about demo versions, alt playlists, song rankings, etc. just enjoyed an album from my favorite band. One of the more refreshing experiences I've had in quite some time.

Mikal, you didn't answer the question about which U2 songs you think are bad...

I also enjoy The Bomb front to back, though Sometimes is my least favorite. What it's lacking are the real big highs you can find on No Line and SOI. So it's consistent, but not revelatory.

Mikal, you didn't answer the question about which U2 songs you think are bad...

/QUOTE]

I'd list the following songs as ones I skip and have no care to listen to again. I'm only listing album songs:

Red Light
The Refugee
Babyface
Wild Honey
Grace
Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Comedy

I'm listening to it now, good stuff, they really prattle on for the first 1/2 hour or so before the interview starts but its good once it gets going...

http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/u2-is-on-u-talkin-u2-to-me-today.html

There's still hope for Reach Around, folks:

Edge said he hopes that "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now" will make it into the set list during U2's European tour. "I like it a lot and we should give it a run. I think we will get to that at some point."

They all listed their three favorite U2 songs.

Bono: Miss Sarajevo, Stay, Every Breaking Wave
Edge: Running to Stand Still, Until the End of the World, Streets
Adam: Heartland, Moment of Surrender, and I can't remember the other.
Larry: (the most fun to play) Cedarwood Road, One, Sunday Bloody Sunday

Why can't Adam have his say? Let him play Heartland, goddammit.

I love Adam's work on that song, by the way. It's what provides Heartland with its somewhat unsettling pulse.

Bono's mention of Miss Sarajevo made me think of the 1990s vs 2000s U2 conversation we were having earlier. I think the song is the perfect example of the differences in Bono's lyrical approach between those two eras. In an obvious political song, Bono resists the temptation to make an empty statement about peace and focuses instead on this wonderful side story that speaks to the very essence of life at war. It focuses on the very personal, but communicates universal sentiments. 2000s U2 skips the first part, and what you are left with is something that sounds preachy like Crumbs from Your Table (I like the song, by the way, just not the lyrics) or Love and Peace or Else.

This is more a recognition of the brilliance of some of their 1990s work than anything else. It's hard to maintain that consistent standard. But Miss Sarajevo is quite astonishing in this, even though musically I wouldn't rank it among my favorite U2 songs.

A Man And A Woman, I believe...

it was interesting to hear about the new songs and how "finished" they are. I refuse to get my hopes up just yet though. I've been burned too many times before.

Yep, AMAAW...and it was great to hear him say that, as I really feel that he is stellar on that tune.

I remain cautiously optimistic, when I put the comments on the new songs in the overall context of the band's comments about how 5 years is far too long to wait to put out an album. I think they really do want it out sooner than later..

I remain cautiously optimistic, when I put the comments on the new songs in the overall context of the band's comments about how 5 years is far too long to wait to put out an album. I think they really do want it out sooner than later..

I hope so. As much as I complained about the new album, I loved having new U2 music. I want more.

They all listed their three favorite U2 songs.

Bono: Miss Sarajevo, Stay, Every Breaking Wave
Edge: Running to Stand Still, Until the End of the World, Streets
Adam: Heartland, Moment of Surrender, and I can't remember the other.
Larry: (the most fun to play) Cedarwood Road, One, Sunday Bloody Sunday

:love:
RTSS, Heartland, MOS!!!

JUSTICE 4 REACH AROUND!!

Hopefully it stays in the setlist when they come back to the U.S. But as I said before, they don't really have room for another new song to be a fixture. The Miracle, EBW, and a Song For Somelne aren't going anywhere because they're all singles. Cedar wood, Iris, and Wolves all figure prominently in the stage show themes. Which means if anything, they drop Invisible and open the second half with it. Which would be cool but I'd hate to lose the song I like more than what's left in the process.

Back
Top Bottom