Shuttlecock X: Cobbler gets on stage and forces U2 into a medley of Outkast covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, if I didn't like what the band was currently doing, I wouldn't bother to see them play live. Or bitch about setlists featuring recent material.

I've never had interest in seeing some nostalgia act, even if it was my first time seeing an older artist.

It just seems so forced to me to insist on a band not being a nostalgia act if the new material is mostly crap. If you like the material, that's a different matter. I'd be more excited about the tour if they would play a couple of new songs I actually like.

But I'm not going to applaud the band for playing California instead of Desire if I think the former song is one of their worst.

I'm there for music that I like. If those songs are a hundred years or a day old, I don't care. As long as the band plays them with passion. Until the End of the World and Bullet seem to fit that category well this year.

SOI is my least favorite U2 album, but they actually think they have done a good job of placing those songs into a beneficial context. Raised By Wolves and Cedarwood Road sound great. The Miracle is a strong opener. I still find acoustic EBW and Song for Someone to be incredibly dull, but the transition to concert has been mostly successful for SOI.

Last edited:
People obviously need to learn what a troll is. All I did was make a snide joke about a poster referencing the previous night's shenanigans. Totally different.

Being in denial about your trolling is further trolling!

358tngx.gif

I refuse to feel bad about laying some snark on someone who thinks that being gay is a lifestyle.

I just want to hear good tunes. I don't care if they were written yesterday or fifty years ago. In the case of U2, the good tunes generally were not written recently.

It just seems so forced to me to insist on a band not being a nostalgia act if the new material is mostly crap. If you like the material, that's a different matter. I'd be more excited about the tour if they would play a couple of new songs I actually like.

But I'm not going to applaud the band for playing California instead of Desire if I think the former song is one of their worst.

I'm there for music that I like. If those songs are a hundred years or a day old, I don't care. As long as the band plays them with passion. Until the End of the World and Bullet seem to fit that category well this year.

Both of you have seen them live in the past. Be happy for what you've already experienced. Not sure why you want to only hear the same stuff over and over again, hoping for the occasional rare deep cut to surface.

They're touring a new album, and playing a considerable amount from it, AS USUAL. With a stable of the usual suspect war horses. I'll repeat, if you don't like the new material, don't go to the show, don't criticize a setlist that by the band's nature is going to be 1/3 new music.

I critique the setlists heavily, but never about how much SOI-era stuff is in there. I'd rather hear the whole album + b-sides in its entirety than the songs I've witnessed on 5 previous tours. They aren't all going to be great, but they should have their moment on stage.

I refuse to feel bad about laying some snark on someone who thinks that being gay is a lifestyle.

I'm not going anywhere near that discussion because I don't think I'd be able to stay within the boundaries of the forum rules while going after this piece of shit.

Personally, I think people with that kind of intolerance should be banned from the forum. And I feel like if he said something like "blacks are inferior to whites" he would be.

Both of you have seen them live in the past. Be happy for what you've already experienced. Not sure why you want to only hear the same stuff over and over again, hoping for the occasional rare deep cut to surface.

They're touring a new album, and playing a considerable amount from it, AS USUAL. With a stable of the usual suspect war horses. I'll repeat, if you don't like the new material, don't go to the show, don't criticize a setlist that by the band's nature is going to be 1/3 new music.

I critique the setlists heavily, but never about how much SOI-era stuff is in there. I'd rather hear the whole album + b-sides in its entirety than the songs I've witnessed on 5 previous tours. They aren't all going to be great, but they should have their moment on stage.

It is beyond ridiculous to root for new material just because it is new material. And you're jumping to conclusions in thinking that I want to hear "the same stuff over and over again". For instance, I've never seen Desire or Angel of Harlem live. I don't have the privilege to live (or even be relatively close) in a city that gets to have that many shows, or the financial means to go around the world to see U2 so that every single warhorse can be easily crossed off the checklist. It just ain't like that. I'd be happy to hear the two aforementioned songs over almost anything from the new record that was played so far (yes, there is some new material I'd be delighted to hear them play - it either doesn't get played or it's played very rarely). And I'm not even that big of a Desire fan. Maybe there was a childhood trauma involved there.

Your stance that one should only go to the show if one likes new material is pretty conservative, and the irony is that I at this stage don't even plan to go to a concert this year. But you really have to face the fact that 99,9999% of people who go to these shows don't give a shit whether they're gonna hear Volcano live. And if you're happy with the thought that playing new songs live is making them "relevant"... well, good for you. Just don't try and make that some kind of a universal righteous thing which a real U2 fan should follow, because it really isn't. I'll decide for myself why I will or won't go to a concert.

And the fact that they're playing seven new songs has actually relatively little to do with why I'll skip this tour.

Last edited:
Has anyone who has actually seen the show not liked it? I obviously haven't followed these discussions in that much depth but everyone I know of who has seen the show - even if they had setlist complaints prior to seeing it - have been completely won over by the show. To me, that speaks volumes about this band, and the quality of the new material, and the show itself.

I was not as crazy about SOI before the tour as everyone else but I left the shows I saw wishing for more SOI because that is where their heart and passion seems to be on this tour, and it shows.

I do feel for people who haven't heard their old favorites live but, what can you do but accept what U2 are offering this time if you have the opportunity - or not.

Seeing the show did rejuvenate SoI substantially for me, and I liked it to begin with. Cedarwood Road especially has catapulted in my U2 rankings, and I find myself liking Iris a lot more than I did after seeing it live.

I spent the last day trying to figure out why Deep was at the Boston shows... Just noticed the username.

Not like this is anything new, but fuck. Boy is such a great album. Listened to the deluxe front to back tonight. :drool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So today is the 30th anniversary of Live Aid. I was just 7 years old about to turn 8 so I have no memory of it really. My parents had no interest in it and we didn't have cable television either.

I have fond memories of Live8 and how horribly it was covered on MTV.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I swear she also told me that his stupid posting style is because he lost an arm in the war or something.

You're posting some really personal shit about another poster in a thread that has nothing to do with that.

Just sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom