Shuttlecock X: Cobbler gets on stage and forces U2 into a medley of Outkast covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's bad, but not that bad.

We're talking about Bono here. He hasn't sung this track for 26 years. The man can't get any snippet right from his own songs, no matter how short the snippet is. 20 lyrics is a big deal for him. I find it highly unlikely that he'd remember the whole song flawlessly as he did if it was done spontaneously.

After last night, I'm giving Bono a pass on any blame for static setlist and rigidity. He made a comment about the other members of the band giving him shit for throwing things for a loop when he invites people to play instruments on stage. It seems like the rest of the band is obsessed with perfection, not necessarily bono.

I don't give two fucks if he messes up the lyrics, tbh. It makes the live experience unique. If I wanted to listen to the song straight, I'd listen to the album at home.

Also, SFS seems to be getting quite a healthy amount of radio play. Also, also hearing it on the radio today, after listening to the show last night, is the, 'I know there are plenty of reasons to doubt' line only in the live version?

We're talking about Bono here. He hasn't sung this track for 26 years. The man can't get any snippet right from his own songs, no matter how short the snippet is. 20 lyrics is a big deal for him. I find it highly unlikely that he'd remember the whole song flawlessly as he did if it was done spontaneously.

October
And the kingdoms are stripped bare
Of all their leaves
Who do what soul?

October!
And trees will rise!
And New York! New York City!
Madison Square Gardenssss!
You go on...
And on...
Your soul goes on!

Only sort of related; Ashley's comment reminded me. I was listening to part of a rehearsal bootleg from 2001. About 45-50 minutes into the show, Bono asks if they're almost done - he's surprised to learn they aren't even an hour into the show. "The singer cannot give anymore emotion," he said, or something to that effect. (And some other things that were pretty funny.)

Anyway, in regards to the band not playing longer, I wonder if part of it is that Bono regularly puts so much into the songs, that he needs to keep it a bit shorter so he can keep giving that much each night?

I'm sure their shorter concerts aren't as easily explained as that, but it was eye-opening to hear that on a recording from 2001.

After last night, I'm giving Bono a pass on any blame for static setlist and rigidity. He made a comment about the other members of the band giving him shit for throwing things for a loop when he invites people to play instruments on stage. It seems like the rest of the band is obsessed with perfection, not necessarily bono.

I don't give two fucks if he messes up the lyrics, tbh. It makes the live experience unique. If I wanted to listen to the song straight, I'd listen to the album at home.

Also, SFS seems to be getting quite a healthy amount of radio play. Also, also hearing it on the radio today, after listening to the show last night, is the, 'I know there are plenty of reasons to doubt' line only in the live version?

Dallas has said the hardest part of his job is dealing with Bono making last minute set changes.

I blame Bono for being notoriously uninterested in rehearsing, though.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Shuttlecock X: Cobbler gets on stage and forces U2 into a medley of Outkast c...

So after 13 or 14 U2 shows, I got to hear Bad. It was awesome.

Last edited:
Shuttlecock X: Cobbler gets on stage and forces U2 into a medley of Outkast c...

:up:

I got it after two. Truly transcendent.

Now Axver which NYC night are you going to let me run?

I'm now considering flying back here next week for the July 30 show and leaving right afterward on the midnight bus to Montreal for 3 days of the Osheaga music festival.

I'm insane.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Bad into Streets. Now they're getting it.

I was hoping for that transition when they started Bad after Beautiful Day, but it didn't happen. They finished Bad (with a MOS snippet), and then there was the Mother and Child reunion snippet to kick off Streets.

From what I could see, it looked like they were going to play Bad after WOWY and Bono called it off, so I guess they decided to fit it right there.

What I'm hoping for at Melbourne I

The Miracle
The Electric Co.
Vertigo
I Will Follow
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Song for Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
Until the End of the World
~The Wanderer~
Invisible
Even Better than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Angel of Harlem
Crystal Ballroom
October
New Year’s Day
With or Without You
The Troubles
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Pride

Beautiful Day
City of Blinding Lights
Every Breaking Wave
Mercy
Bad
Streets

What I'm hoping for:

1. not Stuck in a Moment
2. not Stuck in a Moment
3. not Stuck in a Moment
4. not Stuck in a Moment
5. not Stuck in a Moment
etc., etc.

Eh I wouldn't be devastated if I got it. There's a ton of other songs I'd rather hear but I've always considered Stuck to be a lovely song. I will take it and Elevation over Volcano/Ordinary Love every time.

Yeah...I really don't care anymore. They played Stuck, I didn't really like it, but many, many others did. And I enjoyed the rest of the show, which made up for it. That was phenomenal.

Eh I wouldn't be devastated if I got it. There's a ton of other songs I'd rather hear but I've always considered Stuck to be a lovely song. I will take it and Elevation over Volcano/Ordinary Love every time.

I credit Stuck (and that awful performance of Pride) with ruining the second Melbourne show of 2010 for me.

I'll take Volcano/OL over Elevation/Stuck this tour for the simple reason that I've never heard either Volcano or Ordinary Love live before. Once I've heard them... it's a wash really.

A few items from tonight:

1 - Gloria sounded great. Everyone around me yelling out "2, 3, 4" was awesome.

2 - October being played again did not suck.

3 - Bad is just the fucking best shit ever. I can't even come close to describe how it makes me feel. So sublime.

4 - Kind of looping back to 1, my entire section was filled with diehards, everyone was singing to everything. I look around a lot to check, always have. New shit, old shit, everyone was into it.

5 - I'm not even close to a fan of Stuck but it's 4:00 of my life in the middle of a fantastic show. I survived, just like I survived Elevation the prior evening.

6 - I get hyped up during Until The End Of The World every time.

7 - I still really dig Invisible. I like watching Edge the whole time, he really seems to be into it.

8 - I've said this before but, I had really really burned out on Bullet long before 360 rolled around and they dropped it. I kinda hoped they never played it again. Now, though, I mean, it could just be me but they seem to be kicking the shit out of that song, front to back. I was looking forward to it tonight, which, could not be a greater 180 for me.

The great Gump/NSW meeting of 2015 almost happened tonight but we both got to the arena right before showtime thanks to both of us experiencing delays with ye olde train. But it's gonna happen before all 8 shows are done.

What I'd realistically like to hear before they leave NYC - New Year's Day. I cannot imagine they'd need to rehearse it much. I LOVE that song, it would make me very happy.

I'll be back after show 3.....

I credit Stuck (and that awful performance of Pride) with ruining the second Melbourne show of 2010 for me.

It's hard to top (slightly nobbled) Mercy > Bad from the previous show

I forgot that IALW followed Stuck/Pride.. you must have been reeling :wink:

The great Gump/NSW meeting of 2015 almost happened tonight but we both got to the arena right before showtime thanks to both of us experiencing delays with ye olde train. But it's gonna happen before all 8 shows are done.

The even greater BoMac/NSW meeting has yet to occur. Maybe it's for the best.

4 - Kind of looping back to 1, my entire section was filled with diehards, everyone was singing to everything. I look around a lot to check, always have. New shit, old shit, everyone was into it.

I love this. I still remember some people who clearly came only to watch Jay-Z having their arms crossed for the whole night once U2 started.

Great post NSW. Look forward to hearing your thoughts as the residency progresses.

It's hard to top (slightly nobbled) Mercy > Bad from the previous show

I forgot that IALW followed Stuck/Pride.. you must have been reeling :wink:

I honestly think my opinion about the Melbourne shows of 2010 would not be so negative if they had simply played night one's set on night two and vice versa. Instead of ending my run of 360 shows with the worst U2 concert I've ever attended, it would've finished on a positive note with Mercy, Bad, and HMTMKMKM. This was at just the point when I was really moving on from U2 too, so to attend a gig that completely fell flat cemented my feelings of indifference towards the band's recent activities.

I know it's minor thing, but when was the last time Bono sang Bad with the "I I could through myself set your spirit free" verse?

I was hoping for that transition when they started Bad after Beautiful Day, but it didn't happen. They finished Bad (with a MOS snippet), and then there was the Mother and Child reunion snippet to kick off Streets.

From what I could see, it looked like they were going to play Bad after WOWY and Bono called it off, so I guess they decided to fit it right there.

My realistic hope, based on the sets we already have, and where the band's head is at would be to go back to the old order, but shift it to be

Ebw > October > nyd > bullet. Pretty simple fix for the wonky transitions.

Equally simple would be either Beautiful Day > RED rant / mother child > bad > Streets > closer

Or, if the red part has to tie into the red from streets then BD > bad > streets > Red rant > closer.

But I actually really like mother child and would like to see it stay.

I'm super fine with the show as it is, but you make those two changes, and I can't imagine much else to bitch about.

Of course that does add two songs each night, which I don't see them doing.

Oh, actually I guess my version would drop cobl altogether and go with Axvers suggestion of playing the Hawking video before BD. Though I'm not sure the tone of the two match one another.... Hmm....

Oh, actually I guess my version would drop cobl altogether and go with Axvers suggestion of playing the Hawking video before BD. Though I'm not sure the tone of the two match one another.... Hmm....

I don't quite know how the tone of the Hawking video matches COBL either.

"We have the power to dismiss our politicians! Time travel! The future!" OH YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL TOOOOO-NIGHT!

What I'm hoping for:

1. not Stuck in a Moment
2. not Stuck in a Moment
3. not Stuck in a Moment
4. not Stuck in a Moment
5. not Stuck in a Moment
etc., etc.

Would you tolerate a Stuck in a Moment snippet in A Sort of Homecoming?

Say, "And if the night runs over" instead of "And you know it's time to go"?

I would listen to Stuck 5 times to get ASOH once.

But then there are worse U2 songs than Stuck in a Moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom