Shuttlecock VIII: Did We Just Die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, Im glad we came to an understanding.

As for my last paragraph, please note how ott asinine it was even by my lofty standards. It was an "aside" that was neither true nor relevant to my post but it made me sound like a douche so naturally I couldn't resist.

I understood all that and upped the douche quotient, or so I thought.....

MOS is the only 21st century U2 song with a shot at my top 25. I fucking love that song though.

Last edited:
You thought we were going to do Shine Like Stars??

lel_zps1tdtasaq.jpg

LEL

I hope Bono meant it when he said they would play The Crystal Ballroom by the end of the tour. That track makes me feel like old-school U2 does.

Speaking of favorite U2 songs, I have apparently not posted mine in 5 years? :huh:. I'm so into U2 right now, might as well:

1) The Unforgettable Fire
2) The First Time
3) UltraViolet
4) A Sort of Homecoming
5) Can't Help Falling in Love (Triple Peaks Mix)
6) Elvis Presley and America
7) So Cruel
7) Running to Stand Still
8) Love Comes Tumbling
9) Zooropa
10) Where the Streets Have No Name

Oh God, lists.

1. Zooropa
2. All I Want Is You
3. Lemon
4. A Sort of Homecoming
5. Stay
6. Until the End of the World
7. Love Comes Tumbling
8. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
9. Running to Stand Still
10. Your Blue Room

All the U2 songs I like are slow and depressing.

Hey, you and Ashley got a really good show (night 4), I got a decent/pretty good show (night 1), Martha saw all of them...there was even a club gig (that no one got into)! SoCal fans were treated well this tour.

Unless of course you consider their current performances a crime against humanity like Zoomerang, in which case we suffered terribly.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm super happy. I can't wait to see what happens next, but I can guarantee you, it's going to get weirder.

I would definitely have chosen this night over the others, simply because I've heard all the oldies before and want to hear the new songs at least once (well, everything except that Mandela crap).

So while it didn't have California, the substitution of The Troubles and Volcano make up for it.

They played 10 songs from 2014 out of a 24 song set. That's very impressive in terms of confidence in the new material. That they're still not playing Reach Around is unfortunate, but you can't win 'em all.

I think I mentioned this before, but one of the big problems is that 2 of the 3 "singles" from SOI have been ballads, and because they feel obligated to give all theses singles permanent places in the setlist it doesn't leave room for superior tracks. And then something you thought would have been omitted, like Raised By Wolves, also gets a permanent spot because of the thematic content and video component.

Oh God, lists.

1. Zooropa
2. All I Want Is You
3. Lemon
4. A Sort of Homecoming
5. Stay
6. Until the End of the World
7. Love Comes Tumbling
8. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
9. Running to Stand Still
10. Your Blue Room

The three Cockropa tracks, RTSS, and Homecoming would all def be in my Top 10. Maybe AIWIY as well.

Raised By Wolves is one of the songs on the album with lyrical heft and it has zero chance of showing up on future tours, so I'm fine with it being there every night. Ditto Cedarwood. They sound great too. I'm savoring them while they're around.

The Miracle is fun live but a terrible song and acoustic EBW is torture, really wish those weren't permanent fixtures of the set. Reach Around could be interesting as an opener of some kind (second set or encore).

Last edited:
Whenever you guys get a link for Volcano, please post it in here. I only caught the end of it.

This is not a U2 "song".

It's so different from the original, that it certainly stands out as distinct to me. I would have put it higher, actually, if it were by them. I might actually like it more than the original (and that song's my second favorite song of all time). I love this song and there's nothing you can do to change my mind.

Fuck me. I'm so glad I went.

I have to admit that I kind of liked Ordinary Love as they did it tonight. I think I'd only heard the song once or twice, and it was dreadful, but tonight's version had a Latin beat almost, and then Edge sang nearly the whole thing with Bono. That sounded lovely. I like the two of them singing together anyway.

Bono's filler during the piano failure was a lot of fun.

I loved The Troubles, but I may have been the only one in the arena who knew what the hell was going on. Ok, maybe a few people in GA knew, but not many others did.

And I have to get up at six tomorrow, so goodnight.

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Your Blue Room

That's my top two. I can't do a list beyond that. I could only list the 10-15 songs that come next n random order.

5) Can't Help Falling in Love (Triple Peaks Mix)

So I listened to this because I had forgotten about its existence.

THANK YOU!

It bridges the line between beauty and creepiness in a really strange way that's compelling. Of course they'd never play it like this live, but it's fascinating to hear that arrangement again.

(also I kinda like the Fortunate Son and Paint It Black covers :reject:)

Serious question: why is the song called Womanfish? I really don't know how anyone came up with that.

Edit: nevermind, he drunkenly mumbles the song title a mile away from the mic then stumbles back to it halfway through the story. Haven't watched TV Gaga in ages.

Last edited:
Fuck, now I'm drinking. I don't even know how this beer got in my hand.

That's the magic of TV Gaga for you.

I never even knew of its existence, that Can't Help Falling in Love remix. Like it.

Where the Streets Have No Name
Running to Stand Still
With or Without You
Bad
Until the End of the World

Would have to give more thought to a longer list.

This seems like a reasonable suggestion for a setlist. Gets just about all the songs they insist on playing in there, gets plenty of new material, gets some quality songs in as well:

1. The Miracle
2. Invisible
3. Out of Control
4. Vertigo
5. I Will Follow
6. Iris
7. Cedarwood Road
8. Song for Someone
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Raised by Wolves
11. Until the End of the World
(Intermission)
12. The Crystal Ballroom
13. Even Better than the Real Thing
14. Mysterious Ways
15. California
16. Beautiful Day
17. Every Breaking Wave (Full Band)
18. All I Want Is You
19. Bad
20. The Troubles
21. With or Without You

22. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
23. Bullet the Blue Sky
24. Running to Stand Still
25. Where the Streets Have No Name

1. Lemon
2. Please
3. New Year's Day

Probably some combination of With or Without You, Mysterious Ways, and Beautiful Day after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom