Shuttlecock VII: Journeys to The Edge of the catwalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved it. I'm looking forward to tonight. (But as I type, I find I'm a little brain-dead.)

Liked:
EBTTRT. I liked the new version. I thought it sounded stripped down and sorta funky. I like the new SBS quite a lot as well. The new songs sounded really good, even Iris, which isn't a favorite.

Disliked:

The Bono Show. Jesus, Bono. Get over yourself. The show was more or less about HIM. Even Bullet was about HIM, with Ferguson almost an afterthought at the end.

That was the most deflated intro to Streets ever, and it sucked the vitality right out of the song.

I think the crowd last night wasn't that into it. It could have been the pacing, or it could have been that they were unfamiliar with the new material and wanted a real greatest hits set. Fuck them though. I danced, I sang (quietly).

I was so glad there was no opener. U2's taste in openers sucks so bad most of the time. Who knows who I would have had to suffer through four or five times?

I loved it, and I'm glad I'm going back three more times with fairly shitty seats. My PTA meeting next Wednesday will most like get its starting time changed to the afternoon, so I may be able to go to Night 5.

Closing with a comment overheard on my way to the can before the show started, "The crowd at Neil Diamond was a LOT younger."

So if the newest rumour about a certain song being soundchecked is true...

11 O'Clock Tick Tock might premiere at night III, where Electric Co. and Out of Control are usually placed.

I just hope it's an improvement over the Elevation versions. Edge's playing was wonderful, but it was played way too slow for some reason.

OK, I think Travis has set a new benchmark for A+ quality review.

Also, I SWEAR TO GOD Matthew McConaughey was standing next to us in the GA pit, but Travis says it couldn't have been him.

Hahaha I just got back from a Neil Finn show where he went on this rant about Matthew McConaughey completely out of the blue. It was hilarious.

(It was also one of the most perfect gigs I've ever seen, and on more than one occasion comparisons disparaging towards U2 came to mind.)

I pretty much agree with LeMel on nearly every point except I was thrilled for no opening act. I, too, thought EBTTRT was flat and boring, and I had grown so weary of Pride on the last several tours that I thought I never needed to hear it live again but this time it sort of had some new energy behind it and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed hearing it again. And I like Iris better than most people seem to. I thought it was quite powerful live.

Also agree with martha about Streets. I think I said something about that after the Phoenix shows. Hands down the weakest Streets I've ever heard, but of course I still love it.

martha, Phoenix night 1 Bono wouldn't shut up, but night 2 he was much better, I thought. But I know what you mean.

Glad you all of you had a great time! :up:

I pretty much agree with LeMel on nearly every point except I was thrilled for no opening act.

Let me make it clear that I'm thrilled about the lack of an opening act, but I'm not thrilled that they're playing the same length of shows that they always were despite this. An extra 3 songs/20 minutes wouldn't hurt anybody.

Man terrible news.... could you imagine the "war stories" he must have told working with Led Zep and U2... very sad news :sad: RIP

Damn, a tough tour beginning for these guys. Larry's dad and now their tour manager. Must be devastating.

Apols to Cori, nsw, et al, but yeah, that bloke shits me up the fucking wall. As insufferable as following u2gigs on twitter when that Chris dude is running it.

Nah. I mean, I said my piece about the constant negativity that I saw when I got back from Phoenix, but you won't see me following people around and bagging on them whenever they have a complaint.

Also, like I said to everyone's favorite dude thavidesco, there's concert critique, and then there's just bitching about everything the band does. When they haven't even seen a show yet. That's what I was griping about the other day. Most of us here in the thread are critiquing in the context of the actual show.

I watched some of the show last night on Periscope - technology is fucking amazing, yeah? I can totally see how someone only seeing the Periscope version of a show might come away feeling like "what a weird concert," but WOW is it different. It seems obvious to say that, but like someone said in the setlist thread last night, the crowd might seem subdued, but that doesn't mean they're not paying attention. There's so much going on visually, I think people are just really watching/listening in the SOI portion.

Glad you guys had a (mostly) good time. :)

It's possible Leo may be the one who poisoned BB to get his Dad's attention. Cause "When Love Comes to Town" had a bit of a different meaning one chilly night in Chile.

So now that we know what happened, just wanted to point out that when one does a google search for Paul McGuiness, this pic comes up right at the top...

1310397162-bono_paul_mcguinness.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom