Shuttlecock V: Sleep Like Leo Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or is the rallying cry to gang up on writers and outlets that pan The 2 really really annoying? What's next, Anonymous masks and DOS attacks on music websites? Lol

Sent from my ass crack

It's so incredibly lame. I can't believe these people actually get so personally offended by other people not being passionate about U2.

Is it just me or is the rallying cry to gang up on writers and outlets that pan The 2 really really annoying? What's next, Anonymous masks and DOS attacks on music websites? Lol

Sent from my ass crack

It was just that one example, the CoS one that pissed me off. I'll gang up on incredibly poor journalism if someone asks me to.

It's so incredibly lame. I can't believe these people actually get so personally offended by other people not being passionate about U2.

And let's be honest...they wouldn't feel so offended by those sort of articles/reviews if they actually listened to a lot of modern music...it would make it pretty clear that U2 isn't really relevant anymore when it comes to new material.

U2 fans are going to be making excuses for the shitty critical response to SOI for years. It can't be that the album isn't any good. That's impossible!

Undeniably, there are factors beyond the music that influence scores, but come on. It isn't a conspiracy. The album just isn't that exciting.

Can't believe the guy who accosted some random music journalist in public. What a dick. The review wasn't even poorly written; it covered the usual cliche ground but some of the critiques were fair (e.g. The Troubles' shitty fade-out).

And let's be honest...they wouldn't feel so offended by those sort of articles/reviews if they actually listened to a lot of modern music...it would make it pretty clear that U2 isn't really relevant anymore when it comes to new material.

Exactly. It seems all the people who get really offended by this stuff are the sort of people who have very little exposure to (or interest in) music in general, who would vote Songs of Innocence for every position in a yearly top ten, who would give Films of Innocence as the best movie of 2014, etc.

We are what, 3 months removed from the release. I can't believe someone in the other forum was bothered by a review from September anyway.

Yeah, I mean it's no secret that I think SOI is fucking brilliant but it's not like I'm going to suddenly start a piss war with LM because he feels differently.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LM seems pretty content to start a pissing war with EVERYONE else because they don't agree with him, so he'd have it coming, at any rate.

U2 fans are going to be making excuses for the shitty critical response to SOI for years. It can't be that the album isn't any good. That's impossible!

Undeniably, there are factors beyond the music that influence scores, but come on. It isn't a conspiracy. The album just isn't that exciting.

Eh... Although I think this new one is probably their worst, I don't give a shit about critical response. People should like what they like and stop giving a fuck - and that goes both ways.

Eh... Although I think this new one is probably their worst, I don't give a shit about critical response. People should like what they like and stop giving a fuck - and that goes both ways.

You won't see me organizing online offenses against SOI fans, I can assure you of that.

You think Bomb is better than SOI? Really?

What's so ludicrous about that opinion?

I don't get it either. There is nothing as embarrasing from Bomb (alright, apart from Yahweh) as some of the songs from the first half of this record. I wouldn't listen to The Bomb these days, but at least it had some energy to it after the dead weight of its predecessor. There's some good music in there, ruined by atrocious lyrics (Love and Peace being the primary example).

I don't know honestly, but I find Miracle Drug, ABOY, OOTS and Yahweh to be just as contrived and schmaltzy as anything on the new album. To this day I find COBL to be just as forced as anything on any of their following albums.

And yes, its best we avoid the lyrics, nothing on this new album comes close to an intellectual tortoise or freedom smelling like a baby's head...

I find it funny that people complain about the heights some will go to defend the new album when they go to the same heights to put it down.

I find it funny that people complain about the heights some will go to defend the new album when they go to the same heights to put it down.

I fail to see how this is equivalent. I consider it to be their weakest yet, for many reasons I've already explained here. But I did use the word "probably", since All That You Can't Leave Behind is strong competition, with The Bomb hanging slightly above. Now, I'm unclear how this compares with the bizarre salivating over something that is for many the first piece of new music they've heard in a long time, which is one major reason for ridicule.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions, you just seem to hate everything post Pop so much I just found it odd that you would find Bomb better than.. well, pretty much anything.

Bomb has aged the worst for me personally. Its strange that for every new album that is released the one prior to it gets immediate backlash and the one prior to that seems to get some sort of nostalgic reprieve from it's previous criticism.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions, you just seem to hate everything post Pop so much I just found it odd that you would find Bomb better than.. well, pretty much anything.

Bomb has aged the worst for me personally. Its strange that for every new album that is released the one prior to it gets immediate backlash and the one prior to that seems to get some sort of nostalgic reprieve from it's previous criticism.

I wouldn't say I hate everything post Pop. I still think Elevation and Vertigo tours were very good (I thought 360 was a disaster, again for many reasons I've stated a couple of times here); live versions of ATYCLB songs were much better than on the record, and I like parts of Bomb and Horizon (but the "replayibility" aspect simply isn't there). And of course, the two songs from Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack are excellent.

I'm actually more critical about Horizon after recently hearing it again after a long time, but I still think that as a whole it's better than the new one. When taking apart both albums, I will say I find the final three songs from the new one the best U2 has sounded in a long, long time. But it doesn't cover the "damage" of those first six songs, which is the nadir of their output for me.

So yeah, it's a bit more complex than being simply nostalgic.

It always amazes me how different people's perception of the same thing can be.

I find this reaction also interesting, since I always thought there is a general sense of The Bomb having more punch, with songs like Vertigo, Love and Peace and COBL, than ATYCLB, which is (production-wise) such a vapid, tedious effort. However, not to be misunderstood - don't necessarily mistake what I loosely call "energy" with quality.

Have they even made a video for Every Breaking Wave yet?

Major props if they do release The Troubles, and I hope they're smart enough to include "featuring Lykke Li" with the official tag.

Yeah, kudos for releasing The Troubles, if they really follow through with it. Such a great song.

Follow it up with Reach Around too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom