Shuttlecock! Part VIII - If God Will Serve His Shuttles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I ever tell you what happened recently in my Modern American City class? We were discussing financial infrastructures of Latin and South American large cities when my professor asked "what countries down there do you actually think are doing well?" You'd hear Chile, you'd hear Argentina; good answers both. Then a guy chimed in with "Portugal?"

Down old South America way.

In my unending attempt to inject random into this thread:

"she came here
to lose face
got down on her knees
the beast is back!

on four legs
set her clock to the moon
raises her spine

vertebrae by vertebrae
up on the toe
looking

i have been filled with steam for months, for years
same old cloud, claustrophobic me
let it burst like old train sounds
make them leave me nature"

:combust:

You just teed yourself up for a joke about your mother.

Did I ever tell you what happened recently in my Modern American City class? We were discussing financial infrastructures of Latin and South American large cities when my professor asked "what countries down there do you actually think are doing well?" You'd hear Chile, you'd hear Argentina; good answers both. Then a guy chimed in with "Portugal?"

Down old South America way.

I want to be a Longhorn.

Sweet!

:rockon:

I, however, am very tempted.

But. See my sig. And then see my face. See this face? This is my resolve face.

Just finished listening to it for the 3rd time. I'm liking it more each time. Moment of Cock is still a bit too sleepy for me, Unknown Shuttler sounds like it could've been amazing, but never quite made it, but other than that the album is remarkably consistent to me.

Someone mentioned being disappointed with Edge's guitar tone - I agree. It seems like Edge has let sonic creativity on the guitar take a back seat to the songs as a whole. In a way that might be a smart move, but other than little bits here and there nothing I hear from the Edge sounds new (the absolutely lame guitar "riff" after the first chorus in Boots is a classic example), and I am a bit bummed by that.

All in all though, it's a solid, solid album. Opens and closes damn near perfectly, too. I think Cedars may be the best song on the album.

1st Listen finished, and I'm certainly enamored, but beyond that, it's way too soon to call.

One thing I will say, it at least feels like an "album" as opposed to HTMAAS's "singles" collection.

1st time on today. Where did the leak come from? Do I want to listen to it?

opinions plz.

If I understand correctly, an Australian site had the album available for sale - you could preorder the full album, but oops! You could buy each individual track. It grew from there.

You do not want to listen to it. You want to stay pure as the driven snow until March 3rd.

*hypnotizes WHA with my crazy eyes*

If I understand correctly, an Australian site had the album available for sale - you could preorder the full album, but oops! You could buy each individual track. It grew from there.

You do not want to listen to it. You want to stay pure as the driven snow until March 3rd.

*hypnotizes WHA with my crazy eyes*

Hmmmm.....I guess it depends on how I download it. No torrents for me.

See, for me, I love it because it basically jabs the musical pleasure center of every Shuttlecock fan repeatedly for 5 minutes. It covers literally all of the bases and then some, yet, at the same time, that intro shows them tweaking the formula a hair. It bears a passing resemblance to '00s Shuttlecock, but it has so much more sonic depth and the lyrics are just beautiful.

Cock Crazy Tonight just cracks me up. It's so blatantly stereotypical of the band and the lyrics are lousy, but it's so superbly arranged that it feels like a really great song. If they don't release that and Magnificock as singles, they're idiots.

You know what I think is awesome? Axver likes the album more than Laz does. That's hilarious.

I don't understand how one can think the lyrics to Cock Crazy are lousy, but think Magnificock's are beautiful. It's like a fucking hallmark card.

"I was born to sing for you", "I didn't have a choice", "only love can leave such a mark". This is all shit rehashed from the last two albums. Is there even one original line in this song?

After my second listen, I just wanted to say that if Moment of Service doesn't win a Grammy for Song or Record of the Year, I'm going to rip someone's liver out and feed it to them, preferably a voting member of NARAS.

I don't understand how one can think the lyrics to Cock Crazy are lousy, but think Magnificock's are beautiful. It's like a fucking hallmark card.

"I was born to sing for you", "I didn't have a choice", "only love can leave such a mark". This is all shit rehashed from the last two albums.

After my second listen, I just wanted to say that if Moment of Service doesn't win a Grammy for Song or Record of the Year, I'm going to rip someone's liver out and feed it to them, preferably a voting member of NARAS.

I'll supply the fava beans.

Hannibal side-note:

2142816794_cf2204663b.jpg

How the fuck did anyone think this was remotely frightening? I was laughing so hard the first time I saw this scene.

I was so pissed off at the end of that book that I literally hurled it across the room.

No comment on the movie.

I never saw the film. Not interested in seeing Lecter turned into some kind of Freddy Krueger villain that the audience is supposed to root for.

And I wasn't a big fan of Anthony Hopkins' ham sandwich from the first film, either.

But seriously. Is there a better vocal performance from Boner this decade than Moment of Service? I don't think so.

Is it just me or does the chorus guitar of Cock Crazy resemble Cock On a bit too much? The Hedge sounds a little out of ideas on this album, at least on the axe. That rumored "best solo ever" on Unknown Racket wouldn't even make my Top 10 of his. It goes on for a while, but that's about it. Autopilot.

I really, really, really think "Magnificock" is not a good song. Like Laz said, it belongs on HTMAAS. Cliche-a-palooza.

And I'm coming around on "Moment of Service." I love everything about the intro. The rest is what I need to warm up to.

I know this is wishful thinking, but does anyone think the live version of No Net is going to be a hybrid of the two versions? I can't picture them not doing the "No! Net!" up on stage.

And it certainly can't be as layered unless they have a whole lot of pre-recorded shit going on behind them.

I never saw the film. Not interested in seeing Lecter turned into some kind of Freddy Krueger villain that the audience is supposed to root for.

And I wasn't a big fan of Anthony Hopkins' ham sandwich from the first film, either.

But seriously. Is there a better vocal performance from Boner this decade than Moment of Service? I don't think so.

Is it just me or does the chorus guitar of Cock Crazy resemble Cock On a bit too much? The Hedge sounds a little out of ideas on this album, at least on the axe. That rumored "best solo ever" on Unknown Racket wouldn't even make my Top 10 of his. It goes on for a while, but that's about it. Autopilot.

The first half is actually kind of interesting, when Hannibal's in Italy and messing with this inspector, but after that, it completely turns to shit.

If Silence was just a regular ham sandwich, then that one's Mama Cass' ham sandwich.

As far as the vocals go, it's pretty good, but I'm also a huge fan of his work in "In a Little While."

That'd be about the 5th time he's re-used that riff, too.

I really, really, really think "Magnificock" is not a good song. Like Laz said, it belongs on HTMAAS. Cliche-a-palooza.

And I'm coming around on "Moment of Service." I love everything about the intro. The rest is what I need to warm up to.

Well that's just from a lyrical perspective. I don't really have an issue with the music, really.

As for MOS, I'm thinking of playing god and making my version fade out. What the fuck is that screechy little guitar ending thing? Too abrupt and just ruins the tripped-out zone the song puts me in.

Sweet!

:rockon:

I, however, am very tempted.

But. See my sig. And then see my face. See this face? This is my resolve face.

You just have to stay away from this place - which has been remarkably easy and nice, too, for me. No offense or anything to my Cockheads, it's just good to take a break. I've been getting massages, sitting in saunas, going to bed earlier and getting more sleep, talking more to friends, etc. Downloading new Cock has been the farthest thing from my mind though I am very much looking forward to the Letterman residency & March 3.

I usually have a story with each new Cock purchase - the last one I was on a cross-country road trip in a Uhaul with my best friend and we stopped at a Walmart somewhere in Mississippi to pick up the Bomb. Since there's no cd-player in Uhauls, I had a thing that allowed us both to plug our headsets into my portable CD player (ha, remember those?). Now that's a memorable new Cock record story. "With NNOTH I caved and downloaded the leak two weeks early" just doesn't cut it, now does it? "I went to Best Buy on March 3rd" is much, MUCH better, right?

As for MOS, I'm thinking of playing god and making my version fade out. What the fuck is that screechy little guitar ending thing? Too abrupt and just ruins the tripped-out zone the song puts me in.

At the moment of service
A vision of a swiftly hit birdie
I did not notice the spectators
And they did not heckle me

You just have to stay away from this place - which has been remarkably easy and nice, too, for me.

Dang, I didn't even last 5 minutes after I realized it had leaked. But we'll see. For a while last week, I found it hard to stay out of The Other Place, but it got easier.

It doesn't help when work is slow - this is such a nice place to help ease my boredom.

I"I went to Best Buy on March 3rd" is much, MUCH better, right

I don't think "I went to Best Buy" has the good makings of any story, unless you met Bono there and he was working at register #6 or something. ;)

I usually have a story with each new Cock purchase - the last one I was on a cross-country road trip in a Uhaul with my best friend and we stopped at a Walmart somewhere in Mississippi to pick up the Bomb. Since there's no cd-player in Uhauls, I had a thing that allowed us both to plug our headsets into my portable CD player (ha, remember those?). Now that's a memorable new Cock record story. "With NNOTH I caved and downloaded the leak two weeks early" just doesn't cut it, now does it? "I went to Best Buy on March 3rd" is much, MUCH better, right?

Well I hired three prostitutes to come over before I listened to the leak, so it was pretty memorable.

ball_gag.jpg

"I was born to sing for you", "I didn't have a choice", "only love can leave such a mark". This is all shit rehashed from the last two albums. Is there even one original line in this song?

On Cock Crazy, Boner sounds like a pre-teen learning how to rhyme scheme. On Magnificock, he's delivering line after line of what made Shuttlecock so universally beloved in the first place. I don't think it's genius poetry, but it works brilliantly with the music, creating, IMO, the finest STAB at a Shuttlecock anthem since Beautiful Drop Shot.

On Cock Crazy, Boner sounds like a pre-teen learning how to rhyme scheme.

And what the fuck is "Just a fire, till we die, you and I will magnify"? It's amateur hour.

On Magnificock, he's delivering line after line of what made Shuttlecock so universally beloved in the first place. I don't think it's genius poetry, but it works brilliantly with the music, creating, IMO, the finest STAB at a Shuttlecock anthem since Beautiful Drop Shot.

The lyrics of something like With or Without Cock at least are evocative, despite being a little cliche.

Even Beautiful Drop had the nice middle part about the Bedouin fires. This has not even half a phrase of anything creative.

So laz, am I correct in assuming you don't like Magnificock's lyrics?

:wink:

I have to say, I'm a little excited to see you rip someone's liver out, cause MOS isn't going to win a grammy, despite the vocal performance from Bono.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom