Shuttlecock IX: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Formed and broken over and over in tandem through the twists and turns of space and time.

Shuttlecock IV: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

In a galaxy far, far away.

I see what you did there. With the thread title.

Volcano and Whoredinary Love get played again.

Why is this band so either/or? Why is it so hard to mix things up?

What an awful setlist. First time this tour I've been bored covering a show.

That isn't meant to be a commentary on much of anything really, lest somebody jump all over it. I obviously have quite a different perspective on the tour to many people by virtue of running U2gigs. To be frank I've thought fairly poorly of the tour so far - and kept a lot of opinions to myself because who cares and I crap on too much as it is - but there was always at least something in the previous shows. At times I got really, genuinely excited. This one? Nope. If U2 came to Melbourne and I couldn't go for whatever reason and they played that set, I wouldn't care I missed it.

Both Denver sets were more boring than LA3 and I didn't think that was possible.

And 23 songs BOTH nights in a city? Come on.

Either Bono's voice is FUCKED and we don't know it, or they are just plain lazy. No support act and 23 songs sets? pfft

So, my fellow Australians, when are we going to piss off the rest of B&C by listening to another U2 album? I'm not doing anything for the rest of this evening.

Both Denver sets were more boring than LA3 and I didn't think that was possible.

And 23 songs BOTH nights in a city? Come on.

I'll take Denver 1 over LA 3. Desire and Angel of Harlem are better songs than Elevation and Stuck in a Moment.

Oh, and fun fact. For a regular U2 concertgoer in Denver, if you exclude the new material, the only two songs played over the last two nights that you wouldn't have heard on at least one of the last three tours are Desire and Angel of Harlem. That's how static U2's choices of warhorses are. If you exclude the Elevation Tour and take just the last decade, the only additional song that would be new to you is Out Of Control.

I liked Liam's idea of doing a whole era. If we use the deluxe edition of Boy and just tinker with the order of the 2nd disc, we can cover everything that was released plus the bonus tracks:

U2:3 with early versions of OOC and SFB
Another Day/Twilight demo
11 O'clock Tick Tock/Touch
Boy album (with Fire riff at the end)
Things to Make and Do
Speed of Life
Cartoon World
Saturday Night
(and if we want, the alt I Will Follow and live Boy/Girl)

That would be some sweet listening.

Or we could go for something we expect to be funnier.

I can put together a zip file or something, if people want. I think if we were doing eras, it'd be better to just do the singles, because doing the albums would make it a much longer experience, and being concise is always nice.

But if people wanna do a big thing, I could be up for that too.

I'm also down for NLOTH, Boy, whatever.

Well, since the other night we enjoyed doing one album and didn't seem to think it was quite enough in the end, that's why I thought doing the b-sides with the album would be best. Doing it in the order of pre-album singles/album/b-sides/miscellaneous leftovers struck me as a good order.

I have the deluxe copy of Boy in iTunes, but I'd just download U2:3 cause I've never listened to that. :reject:

But happy to do any album/whatever.

I have the deluxe copy of Boy in iTunes, but I'd just download U2:3 cause I've never listened to that. :reject:

But happy to do any album/whatever.

Tracks 7-9 of the second disc of the deluxe Boy are U2:3. :tongue:

So what's the call, gents? (I think some of us were keen on doing War the other day, so there's that option.) And where's friggin' Cobblestones?

So let's work out an order to go for.

The release order goes:

U2:3
Out of Control
Stories For Boys
Boy/Girl

Another Day
Another Day
Twilight (demo)

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Touch

A Day Without Me
A Day Without Me
Things To Make And Do

Boy

I Will Follow

I Will Follow
Boy/Girl (live)

(I Will Follow came out five days after Boy's release, weirdly enough.) I was thinking if we do them in that order, we can sub in the alternate mix for the single release, if we want. (The original single was just the album version, I think, but then we're just duping up on things.)

The only other issue I can see is A Day Without Me would be in there twice, so either we hear it twice or just remove it from Boy?

Or we could just listen to War or NLOTH, that'd be cool by me. (I think we wanna do the singles thing, it might be best to do October and War together, that way we've got five singles and their B-sides to do? Whatever.)

My idea was to go straight from 11OTT/Touch to Boy, with Things to Make and Do and the live Boy/Girl after the album alongside other rarities from the era. But it depends whether we just want to hear each song from the era once, or go for that chronological experience of replicating, however faintly, what it would've been like at the time. I'm easy pleased.

If we go with the latter, I don't mind having ADWM twice, and subbing in the alt IWF for the single is a good idea.

And I agree that when we do October and War they would be best as a package.

Let's do it chronologically, just because I think there's some things to be said for the development of a band over the course of what basically amounts to a calendar year.

Is 9:30 too late for people, in case some people need to prepare?

EDIT: I also have no idea what's interesting on the Deluxe Edition; is Saturday Night anything of interest?

Let's do it chronologically, just because I think there's some things to be said for the development of a band over the course of what basically amounts to a calendar year.

Is 9:30 too late for people, in case some people need to prepare?

Fine by me. In fact, would 9:35 be OK so that I can squeeze in Media Watch?

How about the Dans? (By god this thread has a lot of Dans.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom