Shuttlecock IX: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sick of seeing that quote trotted out every time someone says something that other people don't like. Look! Stephen Fry gives me validation and the right to piss of whoever I want! It's always online (you know, where the offender is safe from being punched in the face, beheaded, or whatever), some pseudo-intellectual/wannabe comedian makes some statement, sets off some crybabies who literally can't even, and when they start in with their tears the first person throws that quote out there like "checkmate, bitch!" It's about as witty a comeback as "I know you are but what I am."

:up:

Like a lot of people who complain about something being "too PC" - they really just mean "I can't say whatever I want, I'm supposed to take other people's feelings into account! Why can't I just keep being an asshole?"

(Or maybe not; I may have misinterpreted your point. BUT WHATEVER MY POINT STILL STANDS!)

Yeah this is exactly right.

On a lot of hip hop forums I go to, there are frequent debates over white posters being made to feel guilty for saying nigga whereas black posters throw it around like it's nothing. It's probably a weekly thing.

My first thought: why are you arguing for the right to hurt people and be an asshole?

:up:

Like a lot of people who complain about something being "too PC" - they really just mean "I can't say whatever I want, I'm supposed to take other people's feelings into account! Why can't I just keep being an asshole?"

(Or maybe not; I may have misinterpreted your point. BUT WHATEVER MY POINT STILL STANDS!)

Nah, that was pretty much my point. That particular quote gets thrown around like it's a license to be a douchebag. It's tiresome. I use the word "retarded" way more than has become socially acceptable in some circles. Not anyone I hang around on a regular basis, but I acknowledge that if I found myself in such circles, depending on the situation I'd just use "stupid" because it's not worth the argument. I mean, I suppose I could get all childish, stomp my feet and say "well Stephen Fry says fuck you about being offended, so I can say what I want!" Maybe I'll even stick my tongue out at them all defiantly, too.

Sucks to be picking on Stephen Fry, because I have nothing against the guy (that show where he drove around in the taxi was boring as hell, though). I've actually seen this particular quote attributed to Dawkins and Hitchens about as often as Fry. Hitchens was awesome, and I tend to agree with Dawkins way more often than not.
This is starting to remind me of the time Zoots called me a Republican because I hated American Idiot, so I figured I'd add that in there lest anyone lose their minds and assume that this somehow translates to me being against free speech. Because you know that's what the term means, right? Freedom to be a dick for the sake of being a dick!

This is starting to remind me of the time Zoots called me a Republican because I hated American Idiot...

Hahaha is an argument over American Idiot really where that originated from? That's hilarious.

Maybe I'm a SUPER DRONE because I think the new Muse album blows.

Hahaha is an argument over American Idiot really where that originated from? That's hilarious.

Maybe I'm a SUPER DRONE because I think the new Muse album blows.

I didn't like the album, and as some sort of punk rock purist, I got pretty angry about how Billie Joe Green Day--a guy known for writing songs about jerking off and suburban angst--paints himself up with guy liner, screams "fuck George Bush" a few times, and is suddenly being hailed as a both a musical and political savior. I was very unimpressed with the way they essentially wrote songs that resembled the shit that made them famous, packaged it as a "rock opera," and then intentionally dressed up accordingly to sell it to the next generation of kids.

I vaguely remember there being something mocking the nofx "not my president" tshirts and something to do with anti-flag fans eating dominos pizza like giant hypocrites. Those specifics currently escape me, but they were part of the rant as well. Zoots took my disgust with this brand of hot topic punk/bizarre embracing of the US democrat centrist politics that Green Day were really the poster band for, being the most well-known, to mean I apparently must vote Republican.

If I managed to dig up any of those rants now, I'd probably be embarrassed more than anything, by how angry something as ridiculous as a shitty Green Day album made me. But that's how I remember it going down.

I'm sick of seeing that quote trotted out every time someone says something that other people don't like. Look! Stephen Fry gives me validation and the right to piss of whoever I want! It's always online (you know, where the offender is safe from being punched in the face, beheaded, or whatever), some pseudo-intellectual/wannabe comedian makes some statement, sets off some crybabies who literally can't even, and when they start in with their tears the first person throws that quote out there like "checkmate, bitch!" It's about as witty a comeback as "I know you are but what I am."

While I don't wholly disagree with your point, I don't think what I am doing is trying to hide behind the quote to say whatever I want. The context I believe the quote is spot on for is that when there are cultural interpretation differences, who is to judge right and wrong? Is it the intent of the speaker, or the right of the receiver? In that context anyone getting offended is more or less choosing to by not appreciating the alternate perspective. The reason I raise it is to say that "cunt" has such diverse meanings in different cultures, you boil it down to its base meaning and it is a noun naming a thing. The 'n' word or 'f@ggot' are words borne of hatred and intolerance, no matter how they are culturally interpreted.

Again, I don't think the quote is a carte-blanche to say whatever you want, but it is a fair point around not having to justify your opinion based on culturally specific sensitivities others apply to your context.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

While I don't wholly disagree with your point, I don't think what I am doing is trying to hide behind the quote to say whatever I want. The context I believe the quote is spot on for is that when there are cultural interpretation differences, who is to judge right and wrong? Is it the intent of the speaker, or the right of the receiver? In that context anyone getting offended is more or less choosing to by not appreciating the alternate perspective. The reason I raise it is to say that "cunt" has such diverse meanings in different cultures, you boil it down to its base meaning and it is a noun naming a thing. The 'n' word or 'f@ggot' are words borne of hatred and intolerance, no matter how they are culturally interpreted.

Again, I don't think the quote is a carte-blanche to say whatever you want, but it is a fair point around not having to justify your opinion based on culturally specific sensitivities others apply to your context.

Wasn't really accusing you of hiding behind a quote, more just expressing my irritation with the internet's apparent love for it as their weak-ass supposed last word on the subject of what offends people.

I struggle to disagree really. I don't think that's transphobic; that's I don't give a shit about a random "celebrity" whose name I'd never heard before a couple of weeks ago undergoing a personal journey that need not be part of lurid headlines and should've been normalised in society a long time ago.

Should have been, in a perfect world, yes. But I'd say the coverage is pretty important for transgender people struggling.

Comprised of 12 sick @&$&s and 5 shit @&$&s who are running the lines

Perfect.

So after Songs of Innocence dropped, I started following tour rumours. There were people who were SO SURE that U2 would start in mid to late spring (they did) and that they'd be touring Europe (they did not). I seem to remember talk about the band having reserved a date at the Bercy in Paris to kick off the tour.

Based on that, I decided to book a 3 week vacation to Europe and would try to see a show or two. There was an incredible airfare deal that was just too good to pass up. Not long after I booked, like maybe a week or so, the tour itinerary was released, and it turns out that they would be in Montreal the DAY AFTER I leave. I was so-ooooo upset. In fact, I'm still a little disappointed.

But I will be visiting family in Italy, so for the next three weeks starting Friday that's where I will be posting from.

So, yes, I am going to a couple of NYC shows. And I'm so-oooo stoked about that!

I'm currently not attending any shows, but I've had preliminary discussions with a couple of people about possibly getting tickets to New York. The current issue is that the two I'm unavailable for (NYC1 and NYC8) are the only Friday/Saturday shows, so I'd have to try to figure out logistics wise how to make it work for ... uh, work.

Burning three work days for Bonnaroo isn't helping things, but U2 not playing the fifth largest city in the US doesn't help either.

I'll be at Toronto - Montreal is technically closer but I'm going with my sister and she lives near TO. I believe BoMac is going to some of the NYC shows, not sure about Montreal.

Ah! Cool. I know quite a few are attending Toronto. Should be great. We'll have to find a watering hole. I think by Toronto my desire to line up will have dropped off significantly..

So after Songs of Innocence dropped, I started following tour rumours. There were people who were SO SURE that U2 would start in mid to late spring (they did) and that they'd be touring Europe (they did not). I seem to remember talk about the band having reserved a date at the Bercy in Paris to kick off the tour.

Based on that, I decided to book a 3 week vacation to Europe and would try to see a show or two. There was an incredible airfare deal that was just too good to pass up. Not long after I booked, like maybe a week or so, the tour itinerary was released, and it turns out that they would be in Montreal the DAY AFTER I leave. I was so-ooooo upset. In fact, I'm still a little disappointed.

But I will be visiting family in Italy, so for the next three weeks starting Friday that's where I will be posting from.

So, yes, I am going to a couple of NYC shows. And I'm so-oooo stoked about that!

Euro trip! So cool. Have a great time!

I want to see them in Dublin. That will be it for me. I probably (dont quote me tho lol) won't travel anymore to see them once I get that crossed off the ol bucket list.

I'm currently not attending any shows, but I've had preliminary discussions with a couple of people about possibly getting tickets to New York. The current issue is that the two I'm unavailable for (NYC1 and NYC8) are the only Friday/Saturday shows, so I'd have to try to figure out logistics wise how to make it work for ... uh, work.

Burning three work days for Bonnaroo isn't helping things, but U2 not playing the fifth largest city in the US doesn't help either.

Go to the second Sunday show! You can use the Saturday to get to the city and get ready, and then skedaddle out back home. You'll be a bit beat up for work the next day, but maybe you can fanagle the morning off or so..

Amtrak costs quite a bit of money. When I go to New York I take a cheaper, longer train route that doesn't run late night on weeknights.

I just watched From the Sky Down tonight.

Some random thoughts:

I dug the hell out of it. I love watching musicians create music. I love music so much, and have absolutely no idea how anyone can make it, so watching it being made and refined is always fascinating to me.

It was especially fun watching it a week after five U2 shows in eight days (which was loads of fun in itself).

Seeing the JT tour at the Coliseum put me off stadium shows for any band anywhere until 360. U2 were so bad at that show, but tonight I learned that they thought so too, and for nearly the same reasons. So I feel better.

It's always wonderful to be reminded just how luscious JT/RH/AB Bono was. LORDY.

I loved the part about the development of One, with the tape playing in the background and the tape timer onscreen and the modern band reacting to it and talking about it in (nearly) real time.

I also really dug the new, movie versions of the AB songs.

I thought the Glastonbury performance of EBTTRT sounded great.

So there you go. I'm several years late to this party, but that's ok with me.

Back
Top Bottom