Shuttlecock IX: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nobody else is horrified by the "I open doors so that I can shut your face/know your place" lyric in Boy/Girl then?

Perhaps not so much horrified as indifferent. I can't see why I'd even want to listen to some EP by a barely-nascent bunch of artists just starting out. It would be like hunting up whatever demos Radiohead were up to before Pablo Honey.

He was young and just looking for rhymes. Still love the live versions of the song.

I just can't imagine the shitstorm there would be if it were a lyric in a more prominent song.

It would make for some great Interference entertainment though.

Ooh I was expecting to read a full-on argument and meltdown when I opened this thread today. Good to see we've kept it pretty civil.

I can't wait for this tour to go to Europe. Surely they will drop this stupid Hands That Built America bullshit and just play RTSS. They could play the Denver 2 set for the rest of the tour, I couldn't care less if they had RTSS in there.

Didn't get all this out of your system last night, huh?

I know it's strange talking about U2 in a U2 thread. These open displays of listening to and commenting on U2's music should be stamped out. Sorry mate.

Ooh I was expecting to read a full-on argument and meltdown when I opened this thread today. Good to see we've kept it pretty civil.

Bring on next time.

It's only alright to talk about U2 sporadically, with a certain degree of prompting by current events surrounding the band.

After all, every last one of us pays for forum bandwidth out of pocket.

Get your shit together, Aussies.

Last edited:
I'm not an Aussie or a Kiwi or anything particularly close, but I think I'm going to side with them on this. I enjoyed reading their convos(well, except for the part where they got "cunt"-happy).

You guys are late to the party regarding AMAAW though, I always thought it was among the strongest tracks on that record, and have recently come to think it's the strongest. Unless you count Mercy.

Also just listened to some Boy. I think it's really a pretty powerful record for a debut made by teenagers.

Honestly, it's the only profanity I don't use regularly. On a cultural level, it's probably the most taboo word in America, except for ****** (as opposed to "nigga.")

Ah I see. That's quite interesting. It lost its shock value a long time ago here, which is why we used it pretty extensively the other night. I say it every day and so do most people I know.

Meaning is culturally bound, so it makes sense that a "hierarchy" for profanity would shift depending on the country. Even in the same country, calling someone a bitch has a totally different strength depending on the context.

Standards for profanity can indeed vary wildly even within the culture. I've been pulled up for 'oh for God's sake!' (although not for several decades; someone with listening comprehension issues thought I was forsaking God. I wasn't.). I've long since moved on to the more expressive 'Jesus SUFFERIN FUCK!!"

Wow. I was wondering why some of you were flinching at it. I mean it's become so ingrained here that even when a politician called another pollie a cunt we were all having a laugh over it. There's still heaps of people who don't like the word, of course, but I'd say it's fairly common in my peer culture.

People who really, really fucking piss me off are cuntbag whores. And that's the only time I ever use the word cunt. Cunt bag whores? Cunt-bag whores? I've never actually typed that one out, it's not something I just casually throw around like fuck or shit in place of a better adjective I can't quite come up with at the time. Usually it's in reference to someone who intentionally screwed me over at work, or dispatch being excessively dumb. And it's also one of the only words I'd really make sure of my environment before using, because it really is one of the last non racial "swears" here at this point, reserved for situations where "fucking piece of shit bitch" isn't enough.

"Clown" has actually become my favorite thing to call people who are otherwise being assholes or douchebags or shitheads. It sounds totally innocuous, and when you're arguing with someone and call them a clown, they take this hilarious delayed offense like it didn't quite occur to them at first you'd even called them a name. I just need to be wary of overusing it, lest it lose some of that entertainment value.

Ah I see. That's quite interesting. It lost its shock value a long time ago here, which is why we used it pretty extensively the other night. I say it every day and so do most people I know.

I think the word's still frowned upon in most contexts within most of my social circles, but it's perfectly acceptable to use if you're parodying certain aspects of Australian culture - like we were, re: far north Queensland.

Like if you want to take the piss out of xenophobic Australia, nothing makes your point better than punctuating your sentences with a thick, nasal "Straya, cunt!"

It's only alright to talk about U2 sporadically, with a certain degree of prompting by current events surrounding the band.

After all, every last one of us pays for forum bandwidth out of pocket.

Get your shit together, Aussies.

Oh, so that email I received from some guy in Venezeula asking me for ten grand was legit and for the greater good, then? Awesome.

Yeah, it's one of the only words that still has the power to shock in 21st century America.

It's pretty context bound here. Like, there's a saying I've seen that goes "you call your friends cunt, and people you can't stand mates". And I think that's pretty true in a lot of cases - I'll call my really good friends cunts, because we have a relationship that's strong enough and that knows I don't mean it with malice. In contrast, if I pass a "chugger" on the street (one of those people fundraising for some cause) I'll say "nah, it's alright, mate" but that doesn't mean I'm their friend by any stretch.

In contrast, I can definitely say that someone's a cunt with real venom, and mean it in a pretty strong manner. I think that's one of the things we've stolen from American culture, though.

You guys are late to the party regarding AMAAW though, I always thought it was among the strongest tracks on that record, and have recently come to think it's the strongest. Unless you count Mercy.

I've always liked it (even more than Mercy!) but hearing it in the context of the whole album for the first time in years made me realise that 1) it's the only thing that's produced half decently on that album, because most of HTDAAB sounds like shit, but AMAAW has all of these little embellishments throughout and the mix isn't totally terrible, and 2) how weird of a song it is; in an album that was intended to be "punk rock from Venus" there's a flamenco inspired ballad that also has the best grooves on the album? It's totally bizarre.

Last edited:
They're notorious for calling each other maaaate in the NSW Right of the ALP, and as far as I can tell none of them like each other.

Is the word cunt taboo over there or something? I say it all the time.

It's just an ugly word. It's the only profanity that I go out of my way to avoid. Most people I know don't use it either and we're all college kids who love to curse.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think the word's still frowned upon in most contexts within most of my social circles, but it's perfectly acceptable to use if you're parodying certain aspects of Australian culture - like we were, re: far north Queensland.

Like if you want to take the piss out of xenophobic Australia, nothing makes your point better than punctuating your sentences with a thick, nasal "Straya, cunt!"

What this cunt said.

There's only one taboo word in Australia: class.

Class is a term relative to culture. Like when you mentioned being chastised for saying "for God's sake", even with the misinterpretation, in my culture we would say: "the God-botherers and their sensitivities can get fucked because not everyone believes in your imaginary friends". Or something like that.

Yeah, cunt is frowned upon more than any other profanity I can think of here. I do get some shit also for saying things like "Jesus fucking Christ" from the more religious among us. And I don't partake in words like n*gger or f*ggot, though I know people who still employ the latter.

Back
Top Bottom