Shuttlecock IX: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find it amazing that Another Day was the band's second single, even got played twice at a May 1980 gig, and was gone from the setlist completely before the Boy Tour began in September 1980. Its last known live performance is July 1980.

It's a decent song. Not remarkable, but decent. Don't know quite how it became second single when they had heaps of other stuff in their live repertoire though, while it had not been part of the known setlists for shows in 1979.

OK, I fucking love Twilight on the Boy album, and the live versions by the War Tour were scorching (just listen to the Red Rocks performance!), and if I made a top twenty U2 songs it would probably be there, definitely in a top 30.

BUT WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS EARLY VERSION I DON'T EVEN

Twylite TWYLITE TWYLITE TWYLITE TWYLIIIIITE

*squeaky solo*

What makes me mad about this early version of Twilight is that there were much better songs in their repertoire when this was recorded, and given how much better Twilight got by Boy, how incredible could some of those other songs become with more work? I'd kill for Lost on a Silent Planet, The Fool, The Dream Is Over, or I Realise to have got a proper chance.

And has Shepp Daniel been stunned to silence by these awesome songs? :wink:

What on earth is "I Realise"?

I think The Fool would be a bit anachronistic because that was a 1978 song, yeah? But the other two, definitely.

11 O'Clock. The band is a bit better, but the production makes them sound ten times better than they are. It's no longer a band playing in a room, but a production. The drum sound is awesome. Love ya, Martin Hannett.

In an alternate universe, Edge is a nuclear scientist at a university and his research assistants are passing around these demos giggling about how "wow, this is when Professor Evans was in a band, and teehee he called himself 'The Edge'!"

Meanwhile a fat waddling Paul Hewson is playing them on a scratchy record player to try to impress his son after a hard day's work at the post office, and his father deducted £500 from the will because he was angry about never being paid back.

11 O'clock Tick Tock benefits from Hannett, but it just sounds wrong. None of the song's live glory is in this recording.

What on earth is "I Realise"?

Oh wait, that's the alternate title. False Prophet.

And has Shepp Daniel been stunned to silence by these awesome songs? :wink:

Oh I am totally blown away. It's like Bono has come full circle over the years, with some of these lyrics.

I rarely have listened to some of these songs in my 15 or so years following this band.

Oh I am totally blown away. It's like Bono has come full circle over the years, with some of these lyrics.

t-t-t-t-t-touching you

n-n-n-n-n-nineteen

He probably WAS nineteen when he wrote this too.

I watched the Red Rocks 11'O Clock recently, and one of the things that struck me about it, is that version is both beautiful and stunning (especially through the singing and the slow mo shot of Bono dancing with that girl), but it's also a very violent song. The guitar solo at the end is like the sound of someone's soul being ripped out of their chest.

Hannett's production helps that; the vocals are detached, every snare hit sounds like a fucking gunshot, the guitar fades into the background, the tempo is methodical and measured.

I like Touch a lot! The chorus is really good.

I watched the Red Rocks 11'O Clock recently, and one of the things that struck me about it, is that version is both beautiful and stunning (especially through the singing and the slow mo shot of Bono dancing with that girl), but it's also a very violent song. The guitar solo at the end is like the sound of someone's soul being ripped out of their chest.

Great description. :up:

Hannett's production helps that; the vocals are detached, every snare hit sounds like a fucking gunshot, the guitar fades into the background, the tempo is methodical and measured.

See, I just can't get into it. It makes the song too distant, and the whole thing feels flat. The guitar lacks the raw power it had live, and the fade-out and absence of the second solo or "call out your name" part is just criminal.

Yeah, it's odd; Hannett never faded things out with Joy Division (I think Heart and Soul is the only fade out in their studio album catalogue?) so it's weird that it fades out here.

A Day Without Me is typical U2, isn't it? This is what I hear when I think Edge's early guitar sound. Distorted and echoey.

A Day Without Me actually didn't seem like such a shock after those songs, not as much as I expected anyway.

Hah, Things to Make and Do, remember when U2 did an instrumental? Can you imagine Bono putting up with this now?

But yeah, A Day Without Me wasn't that shocking, but it's when they figured out "their sound", I think. All of the echoing sounds interacting with each other, big drum sounds, total washes of noise.

Yeah, well put. I had it in my head that when ADWM and Boy came out people would've been all "holy fuck this band just came a long way!", but actually it feels like a natural progression when heard this way.

Back
Top Bottom