Shuttlecock III: Raped by Wolves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol: Bob Seger's new album is projected to outsell SOI. Oh well, I doubt they were expecting much.

Is this another sign that the album was poorly received, or do people just not see the point in owning it twice?

Oh absolutely.

I'd add that ATYCLB took credit for things not on that album. The great post 9/11 healing moment.

This is a fantastic point.

As for the album, and where the bonus tracks would rank, I think my current opinion is:

1. Cedarwood Road
2. The Troubles
3. Iris
(Invisible)
4. Every Breaking Wave
(The Crystal Ballroom)
5. Volcano
6. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
(Lucifer's Hands)
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
9. The Miracle
10. Song for Someone
11. California

The new arrangement of Stuck is probably the best one they've ever done.

These acoustic performances are all decent, nothing more. I listen to them and think they're nice but I don't have any desire to listen to them again.

:lol: Bob Seger's new album is projected to outsell SOI. Oh well, I doubt they were expecting much.

Is this another sign that the album was poorly received, or do people just not see the point in owning it twice?

Well, it's been 8 years, and Seger's album is surprisingly good.

I've listened to the bonus disc a few times now. There really isn't anything that I would add to the album, to be honest. Crystal Ballroom is decent, but perhaps I was let down a bit by all the praise it received.

I did like the longer Invisible though, even if it still didn't reach new heights at the end.

I'm having a hard time understanding this worrying over album sales and gnashing of teeth of the "failure" of the promo tour so far...

They gave the fucking album away for free, am I the only one who thinks they don't really care about that right now?

Maybe I'm wrong and they are secretly are counting the numbers but I hope its not the case - I find it kind of refreshing.

I think, or sincerely hope, that they secretly have better things to think about. They better, because this is not Achtung Baby.

I hope they're focusing their energies on rehearsing a wide array of material for the tour. Failing that, I hope they're crafting a far superior sequel to SOI.

More likely, Bono is beached in Ibiza.

I haven't bought it. I've given hundreds of dollars to U2 at this point (I even have most of the remasters on CD). Honestly, I'd rather spend my limited funds on newer artists I haven't yet given money to.
I'm having a hard time understanding this worrying over album sales and gnashing of teeth of the "failure" of the promo tour so far...

They gave the fucking album away for free, am I the only one who thinks they don't really care about that right now?

Maybe I'm wrong and they are secretly are counting the numbers but I hope its not the case - I find it kind of refreshing.
I think the concern is that it will impact how U2 perceives the album since they're really sensitive about this shit.

Also curious to see where people would rank Invisible and The Crystal Ballroom.
Probably something like this:

1. The Troubles
2. Where You Can Reach Me
3. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
(Invisible)
4. California
5. Every Breaking Wave
(The Crystal Ballroom)
6. Cedarwood Road
7. Volcano
8. The Miracle
9. Iris
10. Song for Someone
11. Raised by Wolves

I can't imagine anyone who's not a die-hard fan paying for it after they were given it for free.

And the deluxe edition (or double album as its known in some places) is probably the only thing that got a fair chunk of die-hards to shell out any money. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the deluxe makes up a high percentage of the physical CD sales.

I can't imagine they were expecting big physical sales numbers. They can tout the 26 Billion downloads and feel good about themselves.

SOI is slotted to enter the UK album chart at #4. Not bad for a record that was available free for a month in a country where hating U2 is practically a national pastime.

Of course, #4 on the sales chart is probably something like 200 units at this point.

Also, I finally bought the album on CD myself this morning.

The central point that doesn't get brought up enough is the automatic iCloud download thing. Apple should have programmed it so it didn't automatically go to people's computers/phones and that it had to be actively/manually downloaded. And this is why so many people are outraged whereas others are like "whatever, no big deal". Because if you didn't have that option toggled, nothing was forced on you at all and it's a non-issue.

Had they seen this coming (or maybe they did, and didn't give a shit), they could have alleviated all of this mess.

Hypothetically, if it was only the lead single that went to everyone's devices and computers, it probably wouldn't have been as big a deal, either.

All of this is very true, and, in my own little imagination where everything is safe and warm and rainbows, I want to imagine U2 had no control over the automatic download, and that was on Apple...but I should probably know better, at this point. Bono keeps on touting the whole thing as his idea.

A major part of the problem is that a lot of people don't understand the Cloud and probably didn't realize they even had the setting on their phone.

I have a confession: I don't really understand the Cloud.

I mean, I vaguely know what it is, but don't understand why I should want to rely on it to hold all my crap.

When people talk about the Cloud, I feel kind of old, and I think of this:

images_zps97de34c9.jpg

I hate the Cloud because it somehow synced me up to my brother's phone and he deleted all of my phone contacts last names A-F.

I still don't get the outrage at the automatic download. Who the fuck cares? Don't want it? don't listen to it.

I just wonder if the people freaking the fuck out over the automatic download also freak the fuck out over sample music that shows up in windows media player (Dvorak symphony 5, I'm looking at you), Winnie the Pooh appearing in iBooks, etc.

Did they lose their minds when their pc came with all that factory-installed bullshit that comes along when you buy a pc? "Omfg who put spider solitaire on my computer!?!?!? This is fucking bullshit!!!" Having 43 desktop icons for absolute nonsense isn't far more irritating than 1 random album turning up one day?

Back
Top Bottom