Shuttlecock III: Raped by Wolves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They've already reached as many people with this album as they could possibly reach. Maybe they're just looking to play what they want to play now?

Play what you want to play on the actual tour.

At promo appearances, when you are trying to shift units and appear "relevant", play what's going to actually keep people's attention. This is just dull. To be quite frank, if I didn't run U2gigs, I wouldn't listen to this shit. Why then would a casual fan listen, let alone be inspired to go out and buy the album or a concert ticket?

It's honestly like they think everyone hated the last album because of Fez and now they want everyone to know they used standard instruments and song structures because you can play them on acoustic guitars. Don't believe us? Watch us bore you to death with it!

And if you express this sentiment in EYKIW, you're ungrateful or a shithead or something. God forbid someone point that U2 is fucking themselves over.

I could buy the argument that they're wanting people to shell out for the deluxe copy .. I mean, some people do like the acoustic stuff. EBW might be worth the price of admission, of the acoustic stuff.

If they're still doing this in the US, when (as some have speculated) that they'll be promoting a tour and wanting folks to buy tickets, I would hope it'd be full band. If they're still doing acoustic, I'd really start to wonder how many of the band members have had some traumatic brain injury.

"Bad press is better than no press" is one of the most infuriating things I ever read, and the people repeating it ad nauseum in EYKIW make me want to punch a hole through my windshield.

I really don't mind acoustic U2, and actually quite like it in certain circumstances, so I guess the current performances don't bother me. Plus they could play 30-minute acoustic renditions of Revolution 9 and would still sell out their shows, so I don't think any of this really matters ultimately.

"Bad press is better than no press" is one of the most infuriating things I ever read, and the people repeating it ad nauseum in EYKIW make me want to punch a hole through my windshield.

No kidding. It's like 'hey, maybe if Bono went on TV and said buy the album or this dog gets it' that'd be press, right? People would talk about that, right? Nobody would ever be able to not talk about U2!

I still remember the good old days when pop stars launched their albums by sending a pharaonic sized statue of themselves down a river on a barge.

Come on, people. There's no way this is going to happen. Not sure what the strategy is behind the acoustic promo, but if the band is hell-bent on being relevant and attracting open minded kids, they won't be touring with his setup.

Yeah, but the internet is for two things: Cat videos and getting carried away with rumors and bullshit.

That was my line and I stand behind it.

The owls are not what they seem.

That was my line and I stand behind it. And it took place in what I believe was an intelligent conversation between myself and Headache. Please don't loop that in with "omg the other place is so stupid and I'm above them for posting over here" bs.

I highly suspect the acoustic portions of the concerts are to give Larry a break because of his various physical issues, what with his back or wrists or whatever.

Probably sacrilege, but if he's got physical issues that impede his drumming, I kinda wonder if he's thought about learning keys and just playing the keys live and then the band can get whomever they want to drum.

Bought the deluxe version of the album today on CD. The cover is striking, I think it's a really good looking package overall. I'm glad I bought it.

Neither of the two original bonus tracks really stood out on first listen, although I did like the "Rejoice" throwback reference in "Lucifer's Hands". I'll listen to them again tomorrow.

The acoustic EBW is gorgeous, I think. Bono sounds bigger and better on that first chorus than he does anywhere on the album proper.

Also, why does everyone think U2 is going to release a bonus track as a single?

I'm dumbfounded by that line of thinking. The song is decent, but by no means a hit single to my ears. I think it was left off the album (though not the "double album" :wink:) for good reason.

The acoustic California, Cedarwood, and Song For Someone are nothing, though. Thought the acoustic Wolves was kinda interesting and worked on a couple levels. I'll get to the other alternate tracks at some point. Gotta watch the end of this baseball game, though.

It's honestly like they think everyone hated the last album because of Fez and now they want everyone to know they used standard instruments and song structures because you can play them on acoustic guitars. Don't believe us? Watch us bore you to death with it!

And if you express this sentiment in EYKIW, you're ungrateful or a shithead or something. God forbid someone point that U2 is fucking themselves over.

Also, why does everyone think U2 is going to release a bonus track as a single?

I mean, this is why we created Shuttlecock. There are some intelligent people trying to have good discussions in EYKIW, but the signal-to-noise ratio makes that difficult. Especially when you wind up in a 3-week argument with some buffoon who thinks up is down and black is white.

The cover is striking, I think it's a really good looking package.

HOMOMANIA STRIKES AGAIN.

The acoustic EBW is gorgeous, I think. Bono sounds bigger and better on that first chorus than he does anywhere on the album proper.

Glad I'm not alone on that one. Like, I was shocked at how much power was coming out of him. A shame he couldn't sustain it through that entire performance, or do it on the album version.

I'm getting annoyed at the hyperbole EBW is receiving, people acting like it's the next One. Good luck with that. And it isn't fit to hold Moment Of Surrender's jockstrap.

Like, I was shocked at how much power was coming out of him. A shame he couldn't sustain it through that entire performance, or do it on the album version.

I think you hear that in Cedarwood Road as well. The last few lines are as passionate as I've heard him in a long time.

I think you hear that in Cedarwood Road as well. The last few lines are as passionate as I've heard him in a long time.

He sells that song really well on the album, too. I was fairly cool on that song on my first few listens; it didn't bother me but felt like a bit of a generic rocker. And I bemoaned the fact that Edge's tough guitar part disappeared during the verses.

But it does have a very powerhouse chorus and really takes off near the end. When I was making my custom tracklist I realized it works as a summation for the whole album, and I think that final 30 seconds is really the emotional climax of the thing. Not so much the heart broken/heart open line (which is 2000s generic Bono) but the "you can't return to where you never left".

I also like that it mentions "enemies", which other penultimate track Acrobat and closer Cedars Of Lebanon both do.

Not so much the heart broken/heart open line (which is 2000s generic Bono)

I find myself liking that line a lot, maybe more for the way it's delivered than anything else, like he's trying to convince himself it's true. The worst 00s Bono trope for me is the trying-to-be-clever maxim, like "every gambler knows that to lose is what you came there for" or whatever it is.

Sorry for my crankiness before Philsfan. One of my pet peeves about this area of the forum is that I think we get a bit condescending regarding "the other place" sometimes. There are some good people that genuinely like most if not all the things the band does and I personally don't see anything wrong with that. Super fans can be fun too.

Sorry for my crankiness before Philsfan. One of my pet peeves about this area of the forum is that I think we get a bit condescending regarding "the other place" sometimes. There are some good people that genuinely like most if not all the things the band does and I personally don't see anything wrong with that. Super fans can be fun too.

I think you were totally in the right here, and I'm surprised no one's addressed it. I was well aware the minute Peef posted that that YOU were the one who said it. There is an inherent since of superiority over here that can be really irritating, IMO.

And, no, not all publicity is good publicity, but I honestly think that most of the "bad press" was the party line pushing the agenda that "U2's not cool and out of touch." Everyone I actually talked to in person enjoyed the album, or deleted it without incident. I never once met a person in real life who was mad about it. It's been a great step in getting their name back out there. The internet doesn't always actually represent what people think, believe it or not.

I also like that it mentions "enemies", which other penultimate track Acrobat and closer Cedars Of Lebanon both do.

As well as Peace on Earth, in an especially bizarre line that I've never been able to unravel.

Last edited:
Everyone I actually talked to in person enjoyed the album, or deleted it without incident. I never once met a person in real life who was mad about it. It's been a great step in getting their name back out there. The internet doesn't always actually represent what people think, believe it or not.

I have had pretty much entirely the opposite experience, I can only think of one thing off the top of my head, a tweet a person I follow sent, that was positive.

I have the new album forum blocked, but I get where Peef is coming from. Not as black-and-white for me, but a lot of what's happening with promo at the moment reminds me of their performance at the Oscars, after which they were given a long standing ovation, which absolutely infuriated me, because it was maybe the most lame and boring live performance I'd ever seen from a band I love that is renowned for being an incredible live act.

Back
Top Bottom