Shuttlecock III: Raped by Wolves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you could go to any concert ever...Larry would go see Sweet.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I love Sweet, don't get me wrong...but that was one of the more random answers to that particular question I've ever heard.

Excuse me, but it's The Sweet. Even Larry knows that!

:wink:

That was cute.

Also, while I don't want to say I'm sorry I brought it up, because I'm not going to apologize for saying "I don't like x" or "x makes me uncomfortable," ..... um ...... geez, I'm sorry I brought it up.

187xyn3e2ujd3gif_zps6e8f7506.gif

I'm sorry it turned into A Thing, is all.

I know no one here thinks rape is high-larious or is some sekrit misogynist. And I know you all know that I know that.

What the hell are U2 thinking, sending out Bono and Edge to do these dull acoustic performances to promote the album? Hell, even if you think they're sincere and heartfelt and great, this is about the most counterproductive thing U2 can do in their eternal quest for "relevance". Any young person is just going to look at this and see a couple of boring dads strumming out boring songs. Is this the middle aged snoozefest promo tour?

What the hell are U2 thinking, sending out Bono and Edge to do these dull acoustic performances to promote the album? Hell, even if you think they're sincere and heartfelt and great, this is about the most counterproductive thing U2 can do in their eternal quest for "relevance". Any young person is just going to look at this and see a couple of boring dads strumming out boring songs. Is this the middle aged snoozefest promo tour?

I actually agree. We need some plugged versions!

I'm actually glad they combined the acoustic sessions into one track on the bonus disc--because it makes it a lot easier to skip through them.

These are just not very good, barely so as curiosities even. All I can say positively is that Bono sounds great on EBW (particularly on the choruses). At least for the first half, because when he gets to that fast-talkin' section he's pretty bad.

Don't think I need to hear these ever again.

More notes on the "deluxe" version:

The physical booklet actually has LESS photos than the digital booklet, which is...unfortunate. You'd think they would have included some additional imagery for those plunking down the cash. I'm not a fan of the vertically folding long sheet, either.

LOL @ the credit "Photo of Larry Mullen and his son Elvis by..."; why not just add "NO HOMO/NO PEDO" in there just in case?

(former) Dirty Projectors vocalist Angel Deradoorian is credited with backing vocals not only on The Crystal Ballroom, but in the alternate version of The Troubles. She isn't as prominent in the mix on the latter, but regardless I'm really glad they went and got Lykke Li. Major upgrade. And the chorus on the older version is pretty awful. "Somebody stop the world I'm on"?? WTF?

The lyrics on the "alternate perspective" of SLABT are weak as well; not sure if this was an old version before Bono & Edge took the abusers POV, but it's a lot better written on the album.

I'm liking Lucifer's Hands more, but people on Interference seem to have trouble differentiating between b-side material and stuff that coulda/shoulda been on the album. It's undercooked compared to Crystal Ballroom and Invisible.

Really? I couldn't even make it through one full listen.

This seems to be a divisive track, but his voice has a lot of power on that first chorus. Really belts it out. And it's nice to hear without the pop keyboards behind it.

But like I said, he doesn't go the distance anyway. I'm assuming this is the same with these promotional appearances. I wouldn't know because I'm not watching anything with just Bono & Edge performing anymore. Axver is right in that this is a foolish way to sell the album.

Lucifer's Hands, for me, is rustically charming in that could-only-ever-be-a-b-side kind of way.

A bit like a Race Against Time, Are You Gonna Wait Forever?.. Never really strong or special enough to warrant being properly considered for the corresponding album.

I still am a bit disappointed that this is seemingly all that we'll ever get in terms of Stingray Guitar. I would have liked for Stingray to have evolved into a standalone song in it's own right, the crux of which would have been what we heard at the U2360 shows.

Ah well!

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Lucifer's Hands, for me, is rustically charming in that could-only-ever-be-a-b-side kind of way.

A bit like a Race Against Time, Are You Gonna Wait Forever?.. Never really strong or special enough to warrant being properly considered for the corresponding album.

You must be kidding with Are You Gonna Wait Forever, by far one of the more enjoyable tracks to come from the HTDAAB sessions. How it missed the album while dreck like ABOY or OOTS made it is beyond me. Could've even been a late single.

Oh well, at least the last true U2 b-side (an original song, not a cover or remix or whatever) was a good one.

Excuse me, but it's The Sweet. Even Larry knows that!

:wink:

That was cute.

Also, while I don't want to say I'm sorry I brought it up, because I'm not going to apologize for saying "I don't like x" or "x makes me uncomfortable," ..... um ...... geez, I'm sorry I brought it up.

Unless you are actually stray dog, there's nothing for you to apologize for anyway.

You must be kidding with Are You Gonna Wait Forever, by far one of the more enjoyable tracks to come from the HTDAAB sessions. How it missed the album while dreck like ABOY or OOTS made it is beyond me. Could've even been a late single.

Oh well, at least the last true U2 b-side (an original song, not a cover or remix or whatever) was a good one.

Agreed on 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever'.

Now that I know the era it actually hails from, I'm left scratching my head a bit. That track, Fast Cars (not that it's my all time favourite or anything), Mercy... what the heck happened in 2003-2004?

This ongoing "discussion" in EYWIK about whether the bonus tracks of SoI constitute the second disc of a double album is about as mind-numbing as anything I've ever seen on the interwebz.

I'm actually glad they combined the acoustic sessions into one track on the bonus disc--because it makes it a lot easier to skip through them.

These are just not very good, barely so as curiosities even. All I can say positively is that Bono sounds great on EBW (particularly on the choruses). At least for the first half, because when he gets to that fast-talkin' section he's pretty bad.

Don't think I need to hear these ever again.

I've now owned that bonus disc for close to 12 hours and haven't even bothered to listen to it yet. This was before reading any opinions around here that I actually respect, including yours. Acoustic U2 just doesn't interest me but especially considering what this performance would have to be.

The two 'B-sides' certainly interest me, just haven't listened yet.

I did not even hear this full album until today.

Back
Top Bottom