Shuttlecock III: Raped by Wolves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You already used the word lightly...why so serious now?

Ok, I'm sure that since your sole purpose for being in this thread is to troll being offended (it's what all the cool kids on the Internet are doing these days, I get that), explaining anything is going to be futile. I'd try to explain the difference between saying "har har har wouldn't it be funny if the song was about wolves raping people?" vs saying, upon hearing the song, "hmm, I may have liked it better without the creepy breathing sounds in the beginning and the part about how Bono sounded like he was singing 'raped by wolves' rather than raised." But you're just going to see the word "rape" and go into (or feign, depending on whether you're actually offended or just trolling) self-righteous mode, ignore the difference, that of which is clearly too subtle for the broad stroke-painting brush of the morally outraged online.

I get what cori is saying, and that Martha agrees. And is it the best, funniest song title joke to be made? No. But "this is where we reach around" is equally far from being hilarious.

I completely understand wanting to avoid rape jokes and I don't find them funny. It's just that this isn't a rape joke. Our threads involve us finding creative ways to re-title and re-imagine the back catalogue of the band and taking someone's mishearing of a lyric as inspiration is just one way that we're doing that. I don't think anyone here is a misogynist from what I can tell and this thread title isn't based on that either.

Can you direct me to the thread? Maybe I am being hyper critical. Maybe not.
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/shuttlecock-217073-4.html#post7835377

The gag is not the word rape. The gag is Bono's pronunciation.

Yeah I know that. But give me a snippet of the song where it ACTUALLY sounds like he is saying raped instead of RAISED. I hear the hard s/z every time I hear it and I still don't hear the word raped. So I guess this was some silly thing someone said when the album first came out and it was a punchline and it got incorporated into a thread about Bono's enunciation of words. I think shuttlecock could do better than raped by wolves. JMHO. I never attacked anyone. I never asked anyone to leave. I just don't like the word raped ok? It is VIOLENCE against a woman.

I never heard anything about Tony Danza in tiny dancer, but I demand someone point me to the part of the song where they heard it. Also, don't even say the name Tony Danza, it is a crime against real actors everywhere and upsets people.

Stop with the false equivalencies. Rape is violence against women. And yes I get the gag...sorry your gag isn't funny at this point and you know it. Like I said...give me snippet where it ACTUALLY sounds like Bono saying the word RAPED. It's not there...except in whoever came up with this sad thread. You could of HEARD other words. Or used OTHER songs. But since you find the word raped to be interpreted in another way...carry on.

AlienatedElementaryJanenschia.gif

The Mario games condone mercilessly squishing animals underneath a weighty Italian's frame. How dare we advocate gore.

Political correctness is a term used to censor contentious issues, and I think is an inherently bad term, because of the importance of freedom of discussion. Censorship is also very harmful in regards to the healing from these acts - people who are affected by violence often make a lot of jokes about it in the process of their own healing, and are often most harmed not by the public debates surrounding these acts. Instead, they are profoundly harmed by an inability to speak about their experience and examine representations of their experience in the public sphere. By sitting there and saying "I am offended by the use of the word rape, please stop saying it" you marginalise and diminutise the experience of those who were raped.

I have a mixed opinion regarding Stephen Fry, but one of the best things he's ever said relates to the idea of being offended by words.

Stephen Fry said:
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

When you sit there and say you are offended by phrase x or y, you are merely saying "that phrase is challenging to my moral view"; nothing more. Discussions of an important nature should be had, and they should challenge your moral views! If that wasn't the case, things that were seen as morally correct 200 years ago (such as slavery) would still be in force, because [white, middle class] people would regard the idea of talking to people who are not of the same race we are as offensive.

There's been a stunning protest in Columbia University in the past month. You can something about it here. This a confronting display. There is something incredibly powerful and beautiful about it. If you were to sit there and say "oh, I'm offended by this protest because it uses the word rape" you are not getting the message it's putting across; that silencing people is incredibly harmful and leads to the further perpetuation of these acts.

The Mario games condone mercilessly squishing animals underneath a weighty Italian's frame. How dare we advocate gore.

Political correctness is a term used to censor contentious issues, and I think is an inherently bad term, because of the importance of freedom of discussion. Censorship is also very harmful in regards to the healing from these acts - people who are affected by violence often make a lot of jokes about it in the process of their own healing, and are often most harmed not by the public debates surrounding these acts. Instead, they are profoundly harmed by an inability to speak about their experience and examine representations of their experience in the public sphere. By sitting there and saying "I am offended by the use of the word rape, please stop saying it" you marginalise and diminutise the experience of those who were raped.

I have a mixed opinion regarding Stephen Fry, but one of the best things he's ever said relates to the idea of being offended by words.

When you sit there and say you are offended by phrase x or y, you are merely saying "that phrase is challenging to my moral view"; nothing more. Discussions of an important nature should be had, and they should challenge your moral views! If that wasn't the case, things that were seen as morally correct 200 years ago (such as slavery) would still be in force, because [white, middle class] people would regard the idea of talking to people who are not of the same race we are as offensive.

There's been a stunning protest in Columbia University in the past month. You can something about it here. This a confronting display. There is something incredibly powerful and beautiful about it. If you were to sit there and say "oh, I'm offended by this protest because it uses the word rape" you are not getting the message it's putting across; that silencing people is incredibly harmful and leads to the further perpetuation of these acts.
Ehhh, I think it's best summed up like this: rape jokes aren't funny, but the word rape being in a joke isn't in and of itself a rape joke.

This hasn't been a discussion. This has been a defense of a lame use of the word as a gag.

Ehhh, I think it's best summed up like this: rape jokes aren't funny, but the word rape being in a joke isn't in and of itself a rape joke.

I never said it was a rape joke. I said it was a disgusting word that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Stop with the false equivalencies. Rape is violence against women. And yes I get the gag...sorry your gag isn't funny at this point and you know it. Like I said...give me snippet where it ACTUALLY sounds like Bono saying the word RAPED. It's not there...except in whoever came up with this sad thread. You could of HEARD other words. Or used OTHER songs. But since you find the word raped to be interpreted in another way...carry on.

Oh please. The tiny dancer thing is just mocking how nuts you sound DEMANDING in SO MANY CAPITAL LETTERS that I show you where I partly misheard something when I listened to the song--something I may not even hear again if I listened to the song a second time.

I never said it was a rape joke. I said it was a disgusting word that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Well then, please provide us with a comprehensive list of words that are not to be used in anything but the most serious of terms? Murder is pretty bad, too. Are we allowed to say that?

Well then, please provide us with a comprehensive list of words that are not to be used in anything but the most serious of terms? Murder is pretty bad, too. Are we allowed to say that?

Murder is prosecuted. Rape is ignored or made light of. You are free to say whatever you want.

Murder is prosecuted. Rape is ignored or made light of. You are free to say whatever you want.

Of all the places to take a stand on this issue you decided on a music thread on what is a liberal forum with people universally on board with the very cause you think is somehow under attack. This is incredible to me.

Of all the places to take a stand on this issue you decided on a music thread on what is a liberal forum with people universally on board with the very cause you think is somehow under attack. This is incredible to me.

Liberals rape also. And I never meant to fight tooth and nail about this...but of course I must. I never said whoever started this shuttlecock didn't have a right to. But when they used the word raped...didn't that invite comments? I have only commented from the start that I HATE the word raped and find it repugnant. So I guess I was like if I can't have fun neither can you. I apologize for that. Have fun.

Liberals rape also. And I never meant to fight tooth and nail about this...but of course I must. I never said whoever started this shuttlecock didn't have a right to. But when they used the word raped...didn't that invite comments? I have only commented from the start that I HATE the word raped and find it repugnant. So I guess I was like if I can't have fun neither can you. I apologize for that. Have fun.

1779931_10152491696576843_7992526813007083492_n.jpg

At least you've been incredibly consistent in missing any and every point anyone has made. Be proud of that.

Hey, folks?

Can we stop feeding the troll? No one wants him here. Stop adding fuel to the fire and just ignore, talk about something else.

This back-and-forth is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom