Shuttlecock II: This is Where We Can Reach Around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part two and you don't throw in some joke about that dude* that calls U2 "the 2"?

*not gaf, the one he got it from

Oh and I would probably consider, for maybe about a minute and a half, going to see them if running to stand still was to start showing up in setlists with any sort of regularity...until I remembered how peef got screwed over with the fly, and how mediocre they were when I saw them, how expensive tickets were almost 10 years ago, etc.

For a moment, though, I'd consider it. Running to Stand Still is awesome.

I saw Miss Sarajevo three times on 360 and every time before it started I was hoping to just hear a slightly different series of piano notes... a man can dream.

The miracle song
Something else off the new album
Beautiful day
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Three more from the new album
Three or four older songs but nothing too obscure
Something unfortunate from htdaab
A couple more from the new album
In a little while
One
I will follow
Streets
Another one from the new album that will be horribly anticlimactic pre-encore and pale by comparison even if they phone it in on streets
----
Invisible
Bad acoustic versions of the new songs they haven't played, playing everything from the new album minus the troubles and hopefully California + stuck in a moment
Some medley of past closers ultimately finishing with part of 40

I'd be fairly sure that 'All Because of You' and a reworked 'Mercy' will feature in the setlist. They haven't finished fucking with Mercy, as I'm sure we're all going to be aware.

Finally getting around to the album again for the first time since Thursday. Went ahead and put Invisible in as track 2 to check it out.

hearing Bad-Mercy live was still fucking astonishing, but I hadn't heard it before I saw it live, so to hear no bridge and that stupid fucking BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE shit was heartbreaking. just the perfect example of all my frustrations with the band over the past five years... something great is there, let's fuck it up.

Mercy - the one they haven't fucked with and can't because it's a studio track from ten years ago - is fantastic.

The 'because because because we blah blah blah' one on tours, less so. WHatever the fuck happened to 'love is come again, I am gone again' and 'baby I'm born again, and again, and again, again and again...'

it was very much rhetoric.

"remember this" as in "remember a 00s U2 song that could truly, truly stand with the likes of Streets and One".

With the likes of Streets and One? That's dumb even by your standards.

The love that song gets here is baffling. "LOVE! IS! WHERE I LIE!" As corny as Bono can get, and that's saying something.

Anyways, I was lucky to get Running to Stand Still on the Vertigo Tour before the debut of Miss Sarajevo. Thank goodness. It was one of the highlights of a great show.

While I don't care for the production on the track (years of familiarity with the live version, I suppose), I'm starting to think Every Breaking Wave is one of the better tracks on the album. Great chorus.

The amount of syllables crammed into every verse of The Miracle makes it nearly unlistenable. It's like Bono wrote down his memoirs and recited them. Pretty sure that's still my least favorite. California may be stupid and obvious, but it has a wonderful chorus.

And I will always love the original Mercy. Some insipid lines here and there, but the melody hits hard. It's a patient, properly arranged song that builds and descends like any great song should. There's so much space and simplicity in the track. It actually sounds like four guys in a room playing a great song together. It kicks the shit out of anything on SOI or HTDAAB.

That they cut the length in half and filled it full of terrible new lyrics is totally unsurprising.

Last edited:
With the likes of Streets and One? That's dumb even by your standards.

The love that song gets here is baffling. "LOVE! IS! WHERE I LIE!" As corny as Bono can get, and that's saying something.

Anyways, I was lucky to get Running to Stand Still on the Vertigo Tour before the debut of Miss Sarajevo. Thank goodness. It was one of the highlights of a great show.

Miss Sarajevo was pretty great live though, no?

It has a boring riff that is way too reminiscent of Miracle Drug or any other boring riff a la Unknown Caller opening that Edge has made in the last 15 years, it goes on and on and on without any momentum, it is cheesy as hell and the vocals are shit.

Fuck that song.

Miss Sarajevo was pretty great live though, no?

I have no idea. There was only a snippet at one of my gigs, and it was more than enough.

Fuck that song.

Nah, I kid. It's a good song, and it will always have a special meaning for yours truly, but live it's a snoozefest.

It has a boring riff that is way too reminiscent of Miracle Drug or any other boring riff a la Unknown Caller opening that Edge has made in the last 15 years, it goes on and on and on without any momentum, it is cheesy as hell and the vocals are shit.

Fuck that song.

The distorted riff sounds fucking awesome. It's simple, but the way it's looped in the background gives the track all kinds of momentum. It really drives the track along. Man, I couldn't disagree more that the song doesn't go anywhere. Each verse adds another instrument (mostly Edge at first, then Adam, then during the bridge the whole band), finally building to a strong climax.

And if you think Bono's vocals are shit on that song, I can't imagine what you think of him whispering through the new album. He screams his head off on Mercy and it actually sounds like he gives a damn. I love his vocals. "I feeaaaaaarrrr nooootthhhhiiiing!!!! FEEEAAAARRRR WOOOOOOHOOOOOHOOOO" is classic over the top Bono.

I dunno, as much as I detested it for taking the place of Running to Stand Still, the opera part always blew me away. You might not know it listening to this new record, but Bono can (or at least could four years ago) still sing.

And fuck you for not liking Mercy. Yes to everything Lemel says.

What climax? It's the same (boring) melody for six and a half minutes. He sounds like an old grandma when he screams that "FEAAAAAAAR", and it's downright embarrassing. It's the same, insipid, uninspiring, imbecile bubblegum music that has plagued their work for what seems like an eternity now.

What climax? It's the same (boring) melody for six and a half minutes. He sounds like an old grandma when he screams that "FEAAAAAAAR", and it's downright embarrassing. It's the same, insipid, uninspiring, imbecile bubblegum music that has plagued their work for what seems like an eternity now.
Lol. Bubblegum? No climax? You should listen to the song again instead of throwing some random adjectives around.

All this time I didn't think mercy was a real song, I thought it was a promising-sounding demo clip someone bootlegged from a soundcheck or something that people in the other place had latched onto and hailed as a second coming of (pick a favorite U2 album), a sound that people thought was far superior than anything else they were doing in the 00s, but was mysteriously scrapped and nothing on no line or htdaab (whichever album it was that followed its appearance) even vaguely resembled it. I'd also imagine that the word mercy was the only audible part people could agree on, and it had been "titled" such based on that.

Lol. Bubblegum? No climax? You should listen to the song again.

If Bono's off-tune wailing is your idea of a climax, kudos to you. I for one will not submit myself to that kind of torture again.

If Bono's off-tune wailing is your idea of a climax, kudos to you. I for one will not submit myself to that kind of torture again.

What, you don't wail off tune when you...um...never mind.

Back
Top Bottom