Shuttlecock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fair point. In any case, I'd love an image of a forlorn looking McCockne$$ on the outside looking in of the same window NSW has so often peered through.

Or side-by-side. Similar to this:

fordnsw_zpscbace224.jpg

There are no embarrassing songs on here, which is good. And the only song that I haven't really taken to much is Song for Someone. This seems like it might end up a solid album.

Ranked by preference:

Volcano 8.5/10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight 8.5/10
Isis 8/10
Raised By Wolves 8/10
Cedarwood Road 8/10
The Troubles 7.5/10
***Invisible*** 7/10
Every Breaking Wave 7/10
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now 7/10
Song for Someone 6.5/10
California 6/10
The Miracle 5.5/10

P4k douche decimal score: 7.4

Last edited:
I'm torn on that, I'm glad to finally hear it in full, but I don't love the changes they made, and I think there's too much going on in this version.

The arrangement is far too busy, right down to the jumbled vocal delivery. This song is really a textbook case of overproduction, which is a damn shame.

Maybe I just like pop music a lot, but I absolutely love everything about the production on this album. And for the record, I find it to be absolutely full of hooks. On my 4th listen and it's growing on me like crazy.

I think I'd be far more forgiving of the production if the pop hooks were there to go with it, but they're entirely absent.

I haven't gone back and listened to invisible once since the day it came out, but at least I remember how it goes.

Definitely getting a much better vibe from this side of the forum than when NLOTH was released.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think I'd be far more forgiving of the production if the pop hooks were there to go with it, but they're entirely absent.

I disagree. Even the shittier songs have something catchy in them. No total clusterfucks like Stand Up Comedy or GOYB.

So what does everyone think? After the first listen, tracks 6 - 11 were most memorable to me, the front half didn't make nearly as much of an impression on me, but I've learned not to trust my first instincts.

Really surprised you don't like this more.

I disagree. Even the shittier songs have something catchy in them. No total clusterfucks like Stand Up Comedy or GOYB.

IWB has perhaps the most narrow taste/low tolerance in Bang & Clatter. Is this really a surprise? Probably not worth arguing over.

So no one else is feeling The Miracle? It's probably in my top three on the album after one listen. And Laz, I think Invisible would have fit very well between The Miracle and EBW.

So what does everyone think? After the first listen, tracks 6 - 11 were most memorable to me, the front half didn't make nearly as much of an impression on me, but I've learned not to trust my first instincts.

Solid first half, great second half (Reminds of Reflektor a lot in a way). Danger Mouse should have produced the first 5 songs solo

So no one else is feeling The Miracle? It's probably in my top three on the album after one listen. And Laz, I think Invisible would have fit very well between The Miracle and EBW.

I quite like it, fun tune. At parts it feels a little odd but that's okay.

Ranked by preference:

Volcano 8.5/10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight 8.5/10
Isis 8/10
Raised By Wolves 8/10
Cedarwood Road 8/10
The Troubles 7.5/10
***Invisible*** 7/10
Every Breaking Wave 7/10
Song for Someone 6.5/10
California 6/10
The Miracle 5.5/10

P4k douche decimal score: 7.4

I actually pretty much agree with all of this. I'd probably score The Troubles a bit higher.

Funny, but titles that I was initially eyerolly about turned out good. And even songs from the first half that sounded middling to me at least have interesting parts, and are probably growers.

Solid first half, great second half (Reminds of Reflektor a lot in a way). Danger Mouse should have produced the first 5 songs solo

That's exactly my first impression. On first listen, I didn't really hear anything that caught my attention till Volcano, and then it was strong from there till the end.

(Just saw Arcade Fire on the second to last show of their tour.)

Yeah, I have it in the #2 slot now. It actually resembles Miracle Drug a lot. And it transitions much better into EBW.

And I like The Miracle.

California isn't bad musically, but syllable-crammer Bono is so out of step with what's going on, it sounds like he's reading some spoken word piece.

Song For Someone bores me in a White as Snow kind of way.

Top 3 at this point could be
Reach Around
VolleyCano
Morning Wood Load

Like the Edge's bits in Sleep Like a Baby, rescues an otherwise meh song.
Raped By Wolves is both good and bad in parts.
Riff in Miracle is good, not so much the rest of it.

Of course I'm on holiday (without laptop) when this drops... I'll have to wait until Sunday. I've heard a few songs on Youtube though.EBW and Song for Someone are pretty good.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom