Shuttlecock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't want to know who produced which track, so I could go in and listen to them without bias towards assumption that Danger Mouse = Better automatically.

Based on those first two blind listens, I would say my preference is something along the lines of:

Song for Someone
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Every Breaking Wave
The Troubles
Iris

As a top five....so take from that what you will. I'm not surprised the song I enjoyed most ended up being Tedder's, I really love his production, almost unequivocally, and it's fun to see that it has nothing to do with knowing his name' attached to it.

But, in all likelihood, by tomorrow, I'll feel totally differently about every track. No telling for sure.

Single cover:

U2_TheMiracleofJoeyRamone_single-cover-1-608x608.jpg

They give me Arcade Fire vibes. Which only makes it worse.

Brackets should be banned from song titles.

Glad you guys all like it, I haven't made it past the cedar road song cos that was too much same-y sounding crap. The whole War meets electronic dance drums shit is not doing it for me, especially when all the melodies are barely distinguishable from one track to another--sort of like a giant admission that bono only has about 8 notes left he's able to sing in key.

Should be:

The Miracle
Every Breaking Wave
No End to Love
Song for Someone
Iris
Volcano
Raised by Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like a Baby
Reach Me
The Troubles

You lose nothing with more succinct titles.

Anyway, on my second listen and definitely liking it better than the first, though it jumped out to me on this listen how rough the transition from Iris to Volcano is.

You know, I respect the effort. I appreciate the fact that they put some thought into it. It's basically the closest they got to making a concept album. But it just feels so uneventful for a U2 record, which is a bit different from subtle. It surprisingly lacks hooks, which I don't think ever happened before with a U2 record. The pop production in the 1st half is almost unbearable. Some songs stop just when they seemed to go somewhere (the fade-out in The Troubles is a major offender indeed). I miss Edge's big moments. So it's not a disaster... It's just there. I don't think I'll be listening to this ever again after a couple of months.

So, no takers on inserting Invisicock in there somewhere? Still leaning towards track 1 or 2.

It's odd that they wanted to come bursting out with energy, but already on the second songs they went to a ballad. You'd think another rock track upfront would have made more sense.

So, no takers on inserting Invisicock in there somewhere? Still leaning towards track 1 or 2.

It's odd that they wanted to come bursting out with energy, but already on the second songs they went to a ballad. You'd think another rock track upfront would have made more sense.

I agree. I actually think it would work well as an opener.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Invisicock fits with the theme, so it's mystifying it's not on here. Unless they're saving it for the second album. Seems crazy to not even include it among the b-sides that come with the special edition on the physical release.

Any suggestions for where it would fit on a custom Incest playlist? I actually think it's a better opener than The Whorical (Blow Me, Go Home).

This completely, replace The Miracle with Invisible and it's much stronger. It makes no sense that it wasn't included given its themes.

So I always thought Every Breaking Wave came from the 2007 writing sessions, I was surprised not to see a writing credit from Lanois and Eno, I guess it was created during their rehash sessions instead?

I'm torn on that, I'm glad to finally hear it in full, but I don't love the changes they made, and I think there's too much going on in this version. Then again 4 years of just a stripped down version will do that to you I suppose. I'm not a fan of the sped-up break down (which is seriously annoying me in that it's reminding me of something I can't identify at the moment) either. I wish we could hear the original version or at least a Danger Mouse-only version.

You don't need to replace anything. Add Invisible as the opener and you've still got a 12-track, 52-minute album with another strong track on it.

Isn't it beautiful that this album is dedicated to Paul McGuinne$$ and they gave it away for FREE?

Yeah I'd be fine with that as well, I'm just not a fan of the lyric or chorus for The Miracle. I like the idea and some of the sound (though it sounds like The Bomb done better) but it's not an auspicious beginning. I was reaching for the positive traits while watching them premiere it earlier.

Maybe I just like pop music a lot, but I absolutely love everything about the production on this album. And for the record, I find it to be absolutely full of hooks. On my 4th listen and it's growing on me like crazy.

I know U2 are known for strong openers, but this time as great as The Miracle is, it soon becomes an afterthought after the album progresses.

You don't need to replace anything. Add Invisible as the opener and you've still got a 12-track, 52-minute album with another strong track on it.

Only issue I have with that is that Invisicock has a bit more atmosphere to it and is perhaps not as representative of the immediacy most of the album contains.

Will have to try it both ways.

Just burned it to CD. Having my first listen in the car. I'm freaking out. This is so fucking awesome. I'll see you guys on the other side.

Nah NSW is at least 100 pounds (and several million British pounds) light.

Fair point. In any case, I'd love an image of a forlorn looking McCockne$$ on the outside looking in of the same window NSW has so often peered through.

Back
Top Bottom